Painful chemical burn

Options
I started dieting about a month ago and already see signs that my body is changing. I've found a large rash on the side of my abdomen that wont go away and has been there for about 2 weeks now. I've also found that using my normal deodorant now causes chemical burns in my armpits. I've had to resort to using my wife's powder fresh secret deodorant as it's got the pH balance. Has anyone else noticed these kinds of issues or is this something I should talk to my doctor about?

Edit: I guess the title should say something about unwanted changes and not just the chemical burn. =/

Replies

• Khalician
    Options
    Bump
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    No idea...but I'd go and see your doctor.

Cant see how exercising/dieting would make you have a rash..unless you've changed washing powders or anything like that?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    See your doctor......
  • coldwishes
    Options
    Definitely see a doctor
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Um...doctor, yes.
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree doctor. I had a rash on my stomach a few years ago that hurt like heck. I thought I'd somehow got poison ivy there. My mom finally convinced me to go to the doctor when the rash kept growing. Turns out it was shingles! So please go see your doctor.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    Physician
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You could see a doctor, which seems like the rational thing to do when one has large rash described as a "chemical burn."

The alternative solution, playing "name that rash" on the internet, shouldn't be completed discounted though. It does have certain advantages. You will, for example, get more opinions this way, and only one opinion from the medical doctor, who went to medical school, and perhaps is a dermatologist who has some familiarity with things like rashes. Maybe we should all vote on it?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Physician

Yes. This too, of course.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I was thinking shingles or you're allergic to some new laundry soap, but doctor is best .. feel better
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You could see a doctor, which seems like the rational thing to do when one has large rash described as a "chemical burn."

The alternative solution, playing "name that rash" on the internet, shouldn't be completed discounted though. It does have certain advantages. You will, for example, get more opinions this way, and only one opinion from the medical doctor, who went to medical school, and perhaps is a dermatologist who has some familiarity with things like rashes. Maybe we should all vote on it?

I'll go with the unpopular option - scabies.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

I vote pityriasis rosea
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    A couple possibilities:

If you've started eating new things, it could be a food allergy. Rashes are a common sign of allergies to shellfish, citrus fruit and wheat (I'm mildly intolerant to wheat, but it only seems to show up if I eat wholegrain, ie when I go back to healthier foods after a week or more of eating white bread).

Might get blasted for this one, since everyone I know seems to have very firm ideas about whether detoxing Is a real thing or not, but any time I start eating large amounts of fruits and veg and cut out processed foods, I get rashes and outbreaks of boils for a week or so. Every time. (Half my friends say it's toxins coming out through the skin, the other half say no, that's rubbish, that doesn't happen. I reserve judgement and quietly wait for the week to end, at which point all the skin problems disappear like they never happened, and my skin feels healthier than ever.)

Or you could have picked up a bacterial infection somewhere. Or a virus. Or your deodorant has a new formula - companies change all the time, and most of the time (in England at least) they don't bother to label the packaging with a "new formula" sign.

So I'm echoing, ask your doc. And if s/he doesn't know, or it doesn't improve with the treatment they give you, consider getting tested for food allergies.
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Find yourself a good dermatologist and let him/her diagnose the issue.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    As it's your underarm, which was a common place for bobules, I'm going to go with an oldie but goodie: the Black Death (bubonic plague).

Or perhaps you could ask your doctor? :flowerforyou:
  • Khalician
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. There may be a little misunderstanding regarding the symptoms. I have two different issues going on right now. First is the softball sized rash on the side of my abdomen. Numerous forum posts and articles suggest that it could be a "detox rash". Secondly, the other issue is my deodorant somehow reacting to my body now and causing a chemical burn in my armpits. I have no idea what that's about except maybe the change in diet and my body's pH balance.

However, I have scheduled an appointment with my physician. Thank you all again.

Edit: PS: I've had scabies before and it's definetly not that. =P
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. There may be a little misunderstanding regarding the symptoms. I have two different issues going on right now. First is the softball sized rash on the side of my abdomen. Numerous forum posts and articles suggest that it could be a "detox rash". Secondly, the other issue is my deodorant somehow reacting to my body now and causing a chemical burn in my armpits. I have no idea what that's about except maybe the change in diet and my body's pH balance.

However, I have scheduled an appointment with my physician. Thank you all again.

Edit: PS: I've had scabies before and it's definetly not that. =P

no question about it then, it's the plague. so sorry :)
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Scabies aren't a red rash. Scabies looks like linear chicken pox. Chicken pox from Hell.

You could have a simple infected rash, which will be cleared up by a tube of fucidin or somethign given by the doc. I got one a little while ago. Red all over, itchy, sore. they do go around and they're not caused by dieting, more likely by an initial chafe or scratch that has become infected.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It could be that the formula changed for the deodorant that you typically use and you are having an allergic reaction to the new formula. My husband can't wear any antiperspirant due to similar "chemical burn" symptoms. He only wears a certain brand of deodorant only. The good news is that you CAN wear your wife's. I'd compare the ingredients between the two. It "could" be as simple as an allergic reaction to the fragrance in your stuff.

But I'd definitely see a doctor (either your PCP or at a walk-in clinic). Personally, I'd also call the company who makes your deodorant and specifically ask them if the formula has changed. Have your deodorant container handy as they'll want the codes on it. I would think they'd want to know about an adverse reaction to their product, as maybe there was some mix-up in a batch of the product.