I need fast answers, guacamole eaters

Options
I use Sabra spicy guacamole. The problem is nobody else in the house eats it so I waste a lot!

Who knows if I could freeze the unused portion?

If I refrigerate the unused portion it starts turning brown.....yucky!

Help me out......can I freeze it?

Replies

• Slippyslope
    Slippyslope Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Too late for me. Unused portion in the freezer and I am off to work......lets the chips fall!
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Wholly Guacamole makes single serving 100 calorie packs. I like to keep them in the freezer and then thaw them as I eat them. It seems to freeze well!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Next time you buy it, look for the single-serving cups. You might also try squeezing a little lime juice on top? I don't know how much it would help though.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I know this is probably too late now, but try putting slices of lemon on top of the guacamole covering the top. It stops it going brown.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have used frozen avocado halves in the food service industry, but they are vacuum-packed. I would try to squeeze as much air out of a zip-lock bag as you can, and I think the lime idea is a good one, too. Good luck!
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yes, you absolutely can freeze guacamole. Some of the pre-packaged kinds even give a use or freeze by date on them. It makes it easier if you freeze it in single serving portions (I'm looking at you, large package of guacamole currently in my freezer!! :angry: )
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I just learned this little trick to keep refrigerated guacamole from turning brown, which won't help you since you need the avocado seed! But a tip for those who make it from scratch, save the pit and put it in the container of guacamole when you refrigerate it. Don't know why it works, but it does! :wink: :wink:
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Just because it turns brown doesn't mean it's gone bad!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I just learned this little trick to keep refrigerated guacamole from turning brown, which won't help you since you need the avocado seed! But a tip for those who make it from scratch, save the pit and put it in the container of guacamole when you refrigerate it. Don't know why it works, but it does! :wink: :wink:

thanks for this tip. i just bought 2 avocados to have with my lunches this week. most of time i just eat the entire avocado in one meal because i can't keep it from turning brown. gonna try this tonight.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I buy Wholy Guacamole, which has two packs that are sealed in it. I freeze one and eat the other with no issue. I can usually go through one bag in 3 days or so, and so it doesn't go bad. I believe they also have individual portion ones that are 100ish (maybe?) calories, and you can freeze all those and thaw as you need. I consider that too far since you pay more for more packaging...
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

yes it does work, also put siran wrap on the top and push it down until it meets the guac.
  • Slippyslope
    Slippyslope Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

It was too late for me today but, I will keep all these tips in mind for next time.

I will also look for the wholly guacamole 100 cal servings. I didn't know that had them.

Thanks again! :smile:
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    why not make your own?

seal the top as much with plastic to prevent spoiling and add lime/lemon juice.

air causes it to spoii
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    you can coat the top of it with spray oil (think pam). this will help keep the discoloring at bay... a few spots may show some brown, but it mostly works. you should still try to get the air out as much as you can (saran wrap, etc).
  • spotina
    spotina Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I read on pinterest yesterday to keep it fresh, cover with a thin layer of water then cover with a tight fitting lid...pour off and stir when you're ready to eat. haven't tried it yet.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    You can freeze it. When I have avocados about to go bad, I mash them up with a little lime juice and freeze them in ziplock bags with all the air pressed out of them. Makes a nice, flat block of frozen avocado that you can break bits off of for recipes or snacks anytime.
  • MLT314
    MLT314 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    WOW! I love guacamole! You could share!:wink:
  • shirdiana
    shirdiana Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Great idea, thanks...I love avacados!