Any Tofu Recipes?

Options
Im new at this tofu eating... I need to start eating this stuff because of my health, Im having some skin allergy and they put me in this super diet and Im looking for different alternatives. So I was thinking maybe you guys can help me with some tasty recipes...

thanks!:smile:

Replies

• lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    BBQ tofu kabob:

Cut tofu into 1" cubes and marinate on your favorite BBQ sauce for a few hours (even over night), the longer you marinate the more BBQ flavor it will have.

Cut up your favorite veggies into similar sized pieces

Stick it all on skewers, I usually do veggie, veggie, tofu, and grill. You can use a BBQ or a Forman type grill.
  • bethpeterson
    bethpeterson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My family really likes Tofu Parmiagiana: Slice tofu into thin (1/4") slices. Dry on a paper towel. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt-free Italian seasoning. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Top with mozzarella, and broil until bubbly. Serve on whole wheat pasta topped with Marinara sauce & sprinkled with parmesan cheese.
  • lindam89
    Options
    Thanks Im gonna do at least one recipe each week.. Im starting on this weekend so I'll let you know!
  • monicawildonger
    monicawildonger Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm new to tofu too. Last week I made it for the first time and it was delish! I cut the tofu and put it between paper towels to get most of the water out of it. I sauteed onions, garlic, bell peppers, zucchini, and squash I added some hoisin sauce and and then the tofu. Cooked for about 7 minutes and served it. You can add rice to it if you want. I can't eat the rice but this was delish!
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Here's one of my favorite tofu recipes and it's super easy :)

Tofu with Peanut-Ginger Sauce
    4 servings

Ingredients

Sauce
    5 tablespoons water
    4 tablespoons smooth natural peanut butter
    1tablespoon rice vinegar or white vinegar
    2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
    2 teaspoons honey
    2 teaspoons minced ginger
    2 cloves garlic, minced

Tofu & vegetables
    14 ounces extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 cups baby spinach
    1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
    4 scallions, sliced

Preparation
    1. To prepare sauce: Whisk water, peanut butter, rice vinegar (or white vinegar), soy sauce, honey, ginger and garlic in a small bowl.
    2. To prepare tofu: Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Slice the block crosswise into four 1/2-inch-thick slabs. Coarsely crumble each slice into smaller, uneven pieces.
    3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, without stirring, until the pieces begin to turn golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Then gently stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until all sides are golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes more.
    4. Add spinach, mushrooms, scallions and the peanut sauce and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just cooked, 1 to 2 minutes more.

Calories - 295.6
    Total Fat - 18.5 g
    Saturated Fat -3.0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat - 0.3 g
    Monounsaturated Fat - 1.8 g
    Cholesterol - 0.0 mg
    Sodium - 287.3 mg
    Potassium - 278.4 mg
    Total Carbohydrate - 12.3 g
    Dietary Fiber - 3.2 g
    Sugars - 6.9 g
    Protein - 22.2 g
    Vitamin A - 57.5%
    Vitamin C - 17.9%
    Calcium - 5.8%
    Iron - 10.7%
  • deshaine
    deshaine Posts: 195
    Options
    You might want to try TVP or Textured Vegitarian Protein. It's similar to tofu in that it takes on the flavor of the seasoning you put in it. I have never tried it, but it is a lean way to get in tons of protein.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Oh, and here's another tofu recipe that I enjoy.

Honey-Glazed Tofu
    2 servings

Ingredients
    250 g. pkg. extra-firm tofu
    1 dash cracked black pepper
    1/2 tsp. dried thyme
    1 dash salt
    3 tsp EVOO
    2 Tbsp honey

Directions
    1. Place tofu between two plates and set heavy pot on top. Drain 10 minutes, and pat dry. Cut tofu into 3/8-inch-thick slices. Combine pepper, thyme, and salt in small bowl. Coat tofu slices with pepper mixture, and set aside.
    2. Heat oil and honey in large skillet over medium-high heat until bubbling. Place tofu in pan, and cook 3 minutes. Turn, and cook 3 minutes more, spooning thickening sauce over tofu.

Calories - 308.6
    Total Fat - 16.8 g
    Saturated Fat - 2.8 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat - 0.8 g
    Monounsaturated Fat - 5.3 g
    Cholesterol - 0.0 mg
    Sodium - 96.5 mg
    Potassium - 3.5 mg
    Total Carbohydrate - 19.8 g
    Dietary Fiber - 1.4 g
    Sugars - 17.3 g
    Protein - 21.3 g
  • gingermoon
    gingermoon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Crispy Baked Tofu
    Makes 10 to 12 slices

1 pound firm or extra firm tofu, drained and water pressed out
    1 cup panko breadcrumbs
    1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the tofu into 1/4″ thick slices. In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder and salt, mix well.

Brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Take one tofu slice and brush the sides and edges with olive oil, place in the breadcrumbs and coat well. Then place onto the baking sheet. Repeat until all the slices are coated.

Bake tofu slices for about 20 – 30 minutes until light golden brown and crispy, turning them over halfway through. Serve with your dipping sauce of choice – ketchup, bbq sauce, or ranch dressing.