Need encouragement please, gaining weight like crazy :(

Options
Hi all, I had a Dr appointment yesterday and to my disbelief I had gained 26 pounds since March! It's been a hard year for sure..I had surgery in March and suffered a miscarriage in July, but geez, 26 pounds?! I know I've always used food as my comfort, sort of my stress reliever but I need to make lifelong changes now. I'm 35, about the age my dad was when he was diagnosed with diabetes. He did not change his lifestyle and with the diabetes and high blood pressure he was on dialysis in his early 60s and passed away far too soon. I'm 5 1" and 173 pounds...the most I've ever weighed. Honestly, I'm sure that was my weight when I gave birth to my son. Anyway, I would appreciate any encouragement, tips, and new weight loss buddies. :)

Replies

• Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think you accidentally put this in the wrong forum! :tongue:

Having said that I think it has to be kinda natural to an extent to seek the confort from food after something so horrible (I pretty much use it as a crutch in the even on any extreme emotion whether negative or positive). I have a heck of a lot of weight to lose & I'd be happy to share the experience (good or bad) with you!
  • Selgar
    Selgar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I seem to have no problems putting weight on, but am struggling to take it off. Extra support and encouragement is always helpful. Good luck!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I had a Dr appointment yesterday and to my disbelief I had gained 26 pounds since March! It's been a hard year for sure..I had surgery in March and suffered a miscarriage in July, but geez, 26 pounds?! I know I've always used food as my comfort, sort of my stress reliever but I need to make lifelong changes now. I'm 35, about the age my dad was when he was diagnosed with diabetes. He did not change his lifestyle and with the diabetes and high blood pressure he was on dialysis in his early 60s and passed away far too soon. I'm 5 1" and 173 pounds...the most I've ever weighed. Honestly, I'm sure that was my weight when I gave birth to my son. Anyway, I would appreciate any encouragement, tips, and new weight loss buddies. :)

move move move
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have been here since july and i saw results. Motivating ourself toget a healthier lifestyle is hard in the beginning. But once you get use to it. it is becoming part of your life. The first weeks are hard but it DOES give you good results.
    Having friends to encourage you and motivate you helps a lot. Sometimes it is even easier to realte toperfect stranger than your realtives.
    sending a Friend Request.
  • willial2310
    Options
    Hi
    So sorry to hear of you miscarriage. That has got to be very tough to go thru, I can only imagine. God give you strength and peace in your time of healing.

All the more reason to do something now with a family history of diabetes. The sooner you start the better off you will be angel. You do sound like me (only I am a lot older ) I jumped in pounds as well we I had some health issues started in June. Still not over yet, put with God's strength starting to get better everyday!!!

Today is a great day to start !!! This is the day the LORD has made. Rejoice and be glad in it. You probably know this Psalm 118:24. With GOD all things are possible.:) He will lead the way Ask and you shall receive. ♥

I signed up a few months back and then never followed thru. This time I have been stickin with it. I started going on walks, slow pace right now and changing my eatting habits. This past week I lost 6 lbs. We can do it, just have to set our minds to it. Logging the food really helps me as well. May you be blessed.
  • teenypie
    Options
    Now think igolden! I am much older than you and have tried everything in the book over the years. The thought of going back to cottage cheese and ryvita makes me squirm. I started dieting on my own at Christmas, secretly, didn't tell anybody and just felt if I could lose one pound in a week I would be happy. I lost three quarters of a stone in six months and then stopped. Whatever happened the weight stayed around the same. Got totally depressed and something awful happened. I will give you the details although they are not pleasant. To my horror I found that the large fold of fat over my stomach (a pretty sight) was now becoming sore, wet excema covered it and it was smelly! I was so frightened I could not even think of visiting my doctor! First of all I bought Dermaspray (from Amazon) which did miracles in hours and then I discovered Myfitnesspal in the Daily Mail. Each time I eat I immediately put it in the diary. I know they say you should not weigh yourself daily, but I do and write it not only on the diary, on a note on the fridge door, and on stickynotes on both my computers. Only once have I found that I was craving in that stupid way we do, and then I used the old trick of cleaning my teeth. The thought of a smelly sore body because of too many snacks in the car after my shopping trip will stay with me forever. I am feeling so much better about myself, I feel in control of both my life and body. Have now lost a further ten pounds with this app. It works,, it really works igolden. Just think you want to lose one pound a week, that is all, nothing dramatic and don't tell anybody! OK? Only last week a friend suddenly said - you've lost weight. I just grinned, replied, Yep and it is very hard going. But I felt marvellous. Some come on, igolden, let's go and I want to see in a few weeks time something positive from you in these posts! Not saying Good Luck and all that rubbish. Just start from this moment on.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    create a daily calorie deficit of 500 calories, start a work out program, and make these changes for life ...oh and don't get hooked into fad diets, cleanses, etc....It took you a year to get to 173 and it is going to take at least that amount of time to get back to where you want..slow and steady wins the race....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Now think igolden! I am much older than you and have tried everything in the book over the years. The thought of going back to cottage cheese and ryvita makes me squirm. I started dieting on my own at Christmas, secretly, didn't tell anybody and just felt if I could lose one pound in a week I would be happy. I lost three quarters of a stone in six months and then stopped. Whatever happened the weight stayed around the same. Got totally depressed and something awful happened. I will give you the details although they are not pleasant. To my horror I found that the large fold of fat over my stomach (a pretty sight) was now becoming sore, wet excema covered it and it was smelly! I was so frightened I could not even think of visiting my doctor! First of all I bought Dermaspray (from Amazon) which did miracles in hours and then I discovered Myfitnesspal in the Daily Mail. Each time I eat I immediately put it in the diary. I know they say you should not weigh yourself daily, but I do and write it not only on the diary, on a note on the fridge door, and on stickynotes on both my computers. Only once have I found that I was craving in that stupid way we do, and then I used the old trick of cleaning my teeth. The thought of a smelly sore body because of too many snacks in the car after my shopping trip will stay with me forever. I am feeling so much better about myself, I feel in control of both my life and body. Have now lost a further ten pounds with this app. It works,, it really works igolden. Just think you want to lose one pound a week, that is all, nothing dramatic and don't tell anybody! OK? Only last week a friend suddenly said - you've lost weight. I just grinned, replied, Yep and it is very hard going. But I felt marvellous. Some come on, igolden, let's go and I want to see in a few weeks time something positive from you in these posts! Not saying Good Luck and all that rubbish. Just start from this moment on.

this was strange and confusing.....sorry I had to go there....
  • jgolden3
    jgolden3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So sorry! There is so much to learn on this site! This will take some getting used to! Is there a way to move my comment to the appropriate board?
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    So sorry! There is so much to learn on this site! This will take some getting used to! Is there a way to move my comment to the appropriate board?

Heh I imagine a mod will probably move it for you at some point if they notice it, but it's not a big deal. :tongue:
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    well i guess if we just keep posting here.people will notice and be curious and take a look at it. just like i did!
    so you will get more firend along the way!
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm here on MFP everyday and you're here and asking for help so at least you're starting out right. I'm always willing to give any advice I can.
  • grandmonie01
    grandmonie01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Don't quit trying . Just take one day or one minute at the time.
    I'm also having a very hard time. I weigh over 300 lbs.. Just
    joined myfittnesspal a few days ago. I always had trouble keeping
    a record of my food consumption until now. It's so much easier
    with the calories being figured for you.
    I don't know how this journey will turn out for me but I sure am
    going to try very hard to make it work. I've tried every diet there is
    and had trouble staying with the plans. But this one is different.
    I don't have to fix one way for my family and another for me. I just
    let the plan count my calories and when I reached my goal for the
    day I stop eating. If I have calories left at the end of the day. Well,
    I don't worry about it unless it's too many. If it is I make sure to do
    better planning .
    Good luck and don't give up.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 40 lbs since joining MFP last September (have been at maintenance for a couple months now). The biggest advice I can give is to take it one step at a time and make it a lifestyle change. Here's roughly the process that worked for me!

First week - just log. Get an idea of what your calorie intake looks like. You will likely be shocked and feel really bad, but you have to start somewhere! Log EVERYTHING. For over a year now, I have pretty much logged every morsel and drop that crosses my lips!

Next couple weeks - focus on smaller portions. Don't radically change what you're eating...just eat a little bit less of what you normally eat.

Then, for a couple of weeks, make a couple small changes. Mine were having things like taking an apple for my snack at work instead of chips. Add some veggies to meals that normally don't have them. Introduce new healthy foods where you are currently eating less healthy stuff.

I basically continued this for months, gradually making small little changes like this until they "stuck". So it took me awhile to get to the point where I was consistently eating at my goal for weight loss - I didn't switch from 2,000 to 1,400 calories overnight. This made it much more sustainable!

After several months I began to get serious about exercising. The first 20 pounds or so were lost without any exercise, just calorie counting.

Something I wish I would have done is focused on both strength AND cardio - you burn so many more calories when you are also incorporating strength work! It can be intimidating but you don't have to go hardcore; I started with Jillian Michaels DVD's, with 5 lb weights (1 and 2 pound ones aren't going to do much), and now I typically use 10 or 12 pound ones.

I always ate back about 3/4 of my exercise calories - but used a HRM to ensure I was actually burning as much as I thought I was. Machines and MFP are not necessarily going to be very accurate. "Eating back" doesn't mean eating them after your workout...I would evenly space mine throughout the day. You will see people on here who take it too literally and say "but I'm not hungry after working out!" The idea isn't to come home from the gym and eat the quantity you burned - it's to have more fuel over the course of the day for your workout. Your calorie deficit is already built into your calorie goal so NOT eating back is not only not necessary, but can be harmful and cause you to plateau because you aren't getting enough fuel.

That's my two cents. :) Good luck!!!
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Seif0068... I just happen to come across this post.... Thank you sooo much for the advice. I've been struggling lately, and your post has been a pick me up... Thanks, Kat :)
  • didiashe
    Options
    From my own experience and life, I know it is not easy, but please do not give up! You are young, beautiful and motivated. Perhaps it would help if you keep an accurate food diary so you can see where you may be making mistakes. Also, as an idea: i found that what helped me greatly in the past was walking with friends. Every step counts. I made great friends (from acquaintances) by forming a daily walking group. Maybe you can try this, or other things that you feel can help you. Look to the future, not the past. You are taking steps toward the true, thin you, as of today. Go for it!
  • JasmineOravec
    JasmineOravec Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think the hardest thing in the beginning is having patience with yourself. Every step is a getting you closer to where you want to be. It takes a lot of courage to bust out of your comfort zone so be proud of yourself already. Sending you a request and hoping you have some successful days ahead of you. Hugs!
  • jgolden3
    jgolden3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the encouraging words. I knew I've been gaining weight but seeing those numbers on the scale was an eye opener! The scale doesn't lie, and boy, does the truth hurt! Hoping I can really succeed this time :)
  • katherine611
    katherine611 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    jgolden3, feel free to add me as a friend. I can relate in many ways to your story. I love comfort food because it helps me not see what the problems are. I stay in the problem and only make it worst. Today, my commitment is to change the way I look and feel. I still treat myself but I work out and I have joined groups on mfp. If you believe it you will achieve it. You are a special person. You might want to eat more veggies and grill some fish or poultry without the skin. This is your life and the signs are right in front of you. I have a family history of diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity. My job is to be on my job. You will do it because you have to. Slow and esay but do it. Be realistic with your exercises. Your mind may say do it but remember if it has been awhile; you must warm up, go for a walk jog in place if you can but do something. Coodles, hope to hear from you and remember, you are not alone.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • monchandler
    monchandler Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? I gained weight really fast over a year and it was due to thyroid. I know you said you are an emotional eater..but just throwing this out there.