Logging exercise

Hi....I am new to this and I am having trouble logging my exercise because I am using Nike Trainer on the Xbox. Today I just finished 30 minutes of intense strength training but I don't know how to log that. I never worked so hard in all my life and I certainly don't want to loose the chance of logging it.

Help please.

Replies

• Solomino
    Solomino Posts: 36 Member
    I found a list where you can pick the form of exercise. Although it doesn't have xbox nike trainer it does have calisthenics. The problem is, I log it in then go to my home page and it doesn't save it. I have tried several different ways to post my exercise to no avail. I lost over 200 calories with that workout, I want it posted. Ugh.......
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    You can create your own exercise, but you would need to have an estimate of calories burned to put in manually. I use a HRM, so that helps me estimate, but you can also do it manually, though it is kind of a pain and requires timing workouts and stopping periodically throughout a workout to take your pulse. Look up a formula for calculating calories burned by heart rate, then plug the data in to the equation after your workout.

Before I had my HRM, I would do this the first time I did a new workout and enter it into MFP. Then, the next time I did it, I could enter the time and MFP would estimate the calories burned based off of my initial entry. It's not perfect, but it is a better way to estimate than using more generic "calories burned" lists. As you get more fit, you just recalculate every month or so to make sure you aren't overestimating calories burned.

ETA: or you can just buy a HRM to get a fairly accurate estimate and not have to worry about calculating for each exercise.
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    MFP only will post when you have done cardio exercise for some odd reason, not strength exercise. And even then, in your settings, you have to have it turned on to post that to your board. Now, if you want to count the calories that you burned in a strength workout and you know how many you actually burned due to an HRM or the like, you can certainly do that. Go ahead and log your strength workout as normal and then, under cardio exercises, make your own entry under "calisthenics" or the like (or make your own and just say "strength workout") and enter in your calories burned. You can always make a note in your "exercise notes" that the workouts were actually the same workout. No rule saying you can't do that.
  • Solomino
    What is an HRM and ETA? Jendraka, I have no idea how many calories I burned. I am new at dieting and exercise. I have never counted calories before. I guess I will just have to be satisfied knowing I worked and worked hard.

It's funny that they have a long list of different exercises yet you can't access them...weird.

Thanks for trying to help
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    What is an HRM and ETA? Jendraka, I have no idea how many calories I burned. I am new at dieting and exercise. I have never counted calories before. I guess I will just have to be satisfied knowing I worked and worked hard.

It's funny that they have a long list of different exercises yet you can't access them...weird.

Thanks for trying to help

An HRM is a Heart Rate Monitor. Basic ones usually deal with a strap which is worn around your chest with a little sensor on it which senses your heart rate and sends a signal to a watch you wear. The watch is programmable. You enter in basic information like weight, age, gender, and the like and it will calculate your calories burned. There are many different kinds of HRMs, some simple, some complex. It is just a more accurate way of counting your calories burned than estimates given from online sites. You certainly can go from online sites if you choose not to go the route of investing in an HRM, I would simply recommend that you make a habit of underestimating the calories you burn. Better than overestimating.

As I said though, you can log calories burned, but only under cardiovascular exercise. For some reason whoever set up the logging for exercise didn't seem to think people burned calories doing strength exercise. :tongue: Go figure.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    you said you lost over 200 calories with the workout, but you have no idea how many calories you burned? you just contradicted yourself, that's how many you burned.
  • Solomino
    dynamitegalxo;

When I checked the database where there is a list of exercises you can choose from, I picked what best suited the program I did, which was calisthenics and I put in the amount of time I dedicated to it and it gave me 'calories burned,,,,247'. The problem is, I can't seem to actually log it into my exercise diary. So, I am not making up how many calories I burned, I am going with what the website tells me. I have never tracked calories before and wouldn't have a clue on my own.