How do you Avoid junk food cravings?

Options
So I try to eat pretty healthy and I do an okay job at it, but I always find myself craving junk food. Even if I haven't had it in weeks, I will get a sudden craving. How do you guys/gals avoid the junk food, but still satisfy the craving? I notice mostly i crave Cheese sticks. I think it's more the fried part of the cheese sticks i crave and not the cheese itself.

Replies

• mtbwell
    Options
    Workout quite often because once it becomes habit forming, you'll realize the junk makes you feel crappy and slows you down while you're exercising.

After a night of pizza and beer you feel so sluggish and then wonder was it even worth it.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking up recipes to perhaps make a healthy version of what you're craving or perhaps something similar to satisfy the flavors of what you're craving? I find that I really like to make things because it's easier to control portions than buying snacks. I do buy healthier versions of "junk food" snacks as well though because I want this to be a lifestyle change and find that makes the adjustment more feasible for me.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    if you just avoiding buying that stuff in the market, it doesnt matter what u crave when u get home. the market is the best place to lose weight!
  • DiaryofaMadFatMan
    DiaryofaMadFatMan Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I normally eat raw fruit or make a fruit smoothie/sorbet. Occasionally, I have a tablespoon or two of honey peanut butter.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I eat it... then, if I eat a lot of it I normally feel crappy so it makes me realize that it's not worth it.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    First off, processed carbs make you crave more carbs. I shoot for whole wheat bread, pasta, tortillas, and crackers. Second, I try not to keep junk in the house, atleast not the stuff I can't resist. For instance, I'm not a big fan of oreos, and I can manage to keep my hands out off of them, so I buy them for the fam sometimes. I try to keep things on hand that I can have, like weight watchers ice creams, or the little caramel cubes, they're only 32 cal's a piece, and it takes a minute to chew them up, so I get my fix. Lol. I try not to eat any junk after dinner, because it just seems to perpetuate itself. I'll eat one thing, and then want something else, then something else, etc. So after dinner, if I get a craving for something sweet, I'll allow myself to have like 2-3 caramels, or a chocolate protein shake with unsweetened almond milk. Also, I've just been having to treat myself like a little kid, and tell myself NO!!! Lol. I really struggled with the cravings for a long time. Also, if you're craving chips, Lays makes a light potato chip made with Olean, but don't eat more than 1 serving, or you'll be in the bathroom the rest of the day. :wink: The baked chips aren't too bad on cal's either, but shoot for eating more fruits and veggies. Oh! I do allow myself to eat fruit after dinner, and since it's sweet, that also helps. :happy: Good luck to you! Add me if you like! :heart:
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Having chaet meal helps. I find if I have a fixed day for my cheat meal, I can then look forward to it all week, and then when I have it it feels like a treat and not that I have failed in my diet
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    fat bombs do the trick for me....I do live alone thought and don't keep ANY crap in house....not much processed food..no cookies, chips....etc...sometimes Ill do sugar free candy or a popsickle
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I eat it... then, if I eat a lot of it I normally feel crappy so it makes me realize that it's not worth it.

exactly this.
    since i start back running i realized how important nutrition is to fuel up your body with the right food. otherwise during my workout i feel crap and have no energy..
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Pepsi Max/Coke Zero seem to help my cravings. Pepsi max being the main one I drink as it has a better effect for me.
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I wait until Saturday and eat as much crap as I want , ready to start a fresh week all over again on Sunday :p
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid my food cravings. I manage them by eating the food that I want, in a reasonable portion size, logging it, and staying within my overall goal. If you know how many calories are in the food you want to eat, you can decide how often you can include it in your diet.

P.S. You're awesome, and you're in charge of what you eat!
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am not on a diet but a lifestyle change, that means I have had to change my attitude and beliefs about junk food. which has been easy for me after watching the Men who Made us Fat BBC, The weight of a nation HBO, the skinny on obesity UCTV
    my big fat low fat diet, rip off foods BBC and a number of other documentaries all of which I have discovered on You Tube.

Educating myself has been key to letting go of the junk food craving. Cravings for junk is simply about how I think about the junk food and a belief it will satisfy me somehow which it never has but simply left me wanting more. Substitution is the key here.
    It has to do with feeling hungry and if I am really hungry or bored. If it is a sense of real to stop the hunger I now reach for a piece of baby biel cheese, raw almonds or a snack of greek yogurt with some fruit. To keep my sugar up it has to come with fiber and fiber is found in fruits so I eat the fruit raw.

This type of eating is for a lifetime and I can already see the benefits after a couple of months.

I refuse to see junk food as a reward and a treat to dump in my diet because I have been eating well for the last number of days.
    or few months. Why *kitten* up my plan . Changes I have noticed is that fruit and vegetables are now tasting very sweet ,and my ability to taste that sweetness has been enhanced as a result of no longer eating overly sweetened processed food. I have been losing weight , I sleep better, I have more energy.

• swindsong
    Options
    I read a book, it was called the Power of Habits. Pretty impressive stuff.
    Now I'm carrying a little notebook with me, and everytime I feel the urge to binge,or I crave something, I make a mark in it with the time of the day. You can discover your patterns in this way,
    And after that I try to distract myself. Getting out of the situation, or I tell myself ,alright, you can have it after you've done this and that. Most of the time I forget about the cravings.
    When it comes back I go through the same process again. For me the key is to distract myself.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I read a book, it was called the Power of Habits. Pretty impressive stuff.
    Now I'm carrying a little notebook with me, and everytime I feel the urge to binge,or I crave something, I make a mark in it with the time of the day. You can discover your patterns in this way,
    And after that I try to distract myself. Getting out of the situation, or I tell myself ,alright, you can have it after you've done this and that. Most of the time I forget about the cravings.
    When it comes back I go through the same process again. For me the key is to distract myself.

Great idea I can see how that can work for me.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: How do you Avoid junk food cravings?

Certainly not by visiting this forum. :laugh:

In the last 2 days, I've become obsessed with Cinnabons, finding Chocolate Peanut Butter Pop Tarts, and IHOP pancakes.

3800076615.jpg
    177399672792092153_rkTblZuo_c.jpg
    IHOP+free+pancakes.jpg
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    my solution is very easy and very pleasing to your cravings:
    go ahead and have some junk food.
    I don't believe in saying no to certain foods, and cut it out of my life. if I want it, I eat it. OFC I'm not saying you should eat 2 bigmacs and deep fried fries, but having a chicken burger with a salad or a pizza slice or whatever is totally fine from time to time. Avoiding certain foods you crave a lot could lead you to a horrifying binge you will regret, so I think it'd be betterto give in once in a while. make sure you enjoy every bite!

btw, I personally don't eat junk, maybe a pizza or sushi once in a few years, but I used to be obsessive about chocolate and sweets... now I can enjoy them without feeling guilty :P
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. My diet is normally pretty healthy, but those cravings do me in. I have learned two things.

1. If I feel like my head will blow off it I don't have potato chips, 99% of the time it means I am hungry and not aware of it. I eat something healthy and the craving is gone. I now carry almonds everywhere I go. If it is nearly meal time, I'll have a meal.

2. The more junk I eat the more I crave it. I am a person who is better off not having any. Having a little is a slippery slope for me. So sometimes I just have to tough it out. But less often than I used to, because now I know it means I need real food.
  • Chanelcatsreading
    Options
    I don't avoid my food cravings. I manage them by eating the food that I want, in a reasonable portion size, logging it, and staying within my overall goal. If you know how many calories are in the food you want to eat, you can decide how often you can include it in your diet.

P.S. You're awesome, and you're in charge of what you eat!

This. This. This!!!
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Fiber 1 90 cal bars to the trick on the sweets. Low Fat buttered popcorn. About 3 weeks ago I had some leftover cheese cake filling from a scratch cheese cake I made for my father in law for his BD. that was his special treat also. I made a smaller cheese cake. Once it was set, I cut it into 1" squares and put them in the freezer. I have had about 2 pieces in 3 weeks. Not bad. I go for quality, not quantity. It is enough to satisfy the craving, but not so much as to feel the guilt.

On the days where I have been really lean on the calories, I allow myself the 11 Doritos in a serving, and/or a slice of smoked gouda, or provolone with my Turkey pastrami, whole wheat, fresh spinach and mustard sandwich. If you haven't tried it, fresh spinach works great with turkey deli meats.