Can I make my own frozen yogurt?

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
Or maybe some other kind of treat instead of ice cream? Ice cream is a weakness. I'm trying to avoid even low-fat ice cream...I'd rather make something a bit healthier on my own if I could. Any tips would be appreciated!

I was thinking I could blend up my own fruit smoothie using yogurt, and freeze that. How do you think that would go over?

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I just put Yoplait light yogurt in the freezer for a couple of hours and there's my frozen yogurt.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The thing with ice cream and frozen yogurt is stiring constantly to make sure the ice crystals that form are as small as possible, if you just freeze it you will get a block of frozen something with large crystals and not the smooth texture you are looking for
  • JENN17501
    Options
    i found the yoplait fruit smoothies and use soy milk instead of regular low fat milk for extra protein. Helps keep my fuller longer and is still a nice treat and really yummy. I like the berry mix the best.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You can take a banana, cut it up into 3 or 4 pieces, freeze it, then run it through a food processor until its the consistency of ice cream. A sprinkle of cinnamon or some chocolate chips would be icing on the cake.
  • Allieballie
    Options
    I've done the banana trick and it's unreal :) It tastes JUST like frozen yogurt :)
  • tookalook
    tookalook Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    going to try the frozen banana sounds good mmmmmmmmm
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    Blend together 1 container of yogurt (I'm a fan of the yoplait light selections) and blend with a 1/2 cup or so of frozen fruit. If it's too tart you can add a little drizzle of honey. It makes a really creamy soft-serve style frozen yogurt. Yum!
  • toots99
    Options
    Blend together 1 container of yogurt (I'm a fan of the yoplait light selections) and blend with a 1/2 cup or so of frozen fruit. If it's too tart you can add a little drizzle of honey. It makes a really creamy soft-serve style frozen yogurt. Yum!

Good idea!
  • toots99
    Options
    You can take a banana, cut it up into 3 or 4 pieces, freeze it, then run it through a food processor until its the consistency of ice cream. A sprinkle of cinnamon or some chocolate chips would be icing on the cake.

That sounds great too!
  • lisajohnny
    Options
    You can make ice cream sandwiches by taking 2 graham crackers and spreading with Lite Cool Whip. Then let them chill for awhile. This is a tasty treat!
    :flowerforyou: