no fridge/freezer low carb dinners?

Options
akilahleemarie
akilahleemarie Posts: 80 Member
Hi, so starting next week I will be going to school and work back to back, so I need dinner ideas that are low carb and do not require a fridge or freezer... thank you! :)

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I would suggest an insulated lunch bag or portable cooler. It might not look 'cool', but it'll keep your meats and salads relatively cool. You could also prepare meals and freeze them at home - they'll stay mostly frozen in your lunch bag until you can heat them (I'm assuming you have heating facilities at work or school?).

Most of my 'go-to' dinners are sandwiches and cold rice/pasta salads so I'm not much help with the low-carb options. I'd be afraid my meat would go bad without being refrigerated for hours on end.
  • akilahleemarie
    akilahleemarie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thanks! :)
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Tuna,canned chicken, I keep that kind of stuff in my desk, I also keep instant chicken bouillon in thrre too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    If you do have a microwave at work/school and you're OK with relying on processed food (no sodium concerns, cost not a big issue, etc.), you could avoid the refrigeration concern by packing canned fish (you can find tuna and salmon in pouches as well as cans) or chicken in small cans, and check out microwaveable soups and shelf-stable entrees (usually in the soup aisle) to see if any are low enough in carbs for you -- I'm guessing you'd have more luck with soups, as most of the entrees rely on pasta or potatoes.

Other ideas for an insulated lunch bag: cut-up veggies with yogurt or cottage cheese (or sour cream, if you're OK with more fat)-based dips; hard-boiled eggs; salad with separate dressing, hard-boiled egg, cubed lean meat (or bacon!! if you can fit that in your macros), shredded cheese, and/or avocado, and toss it all together when you're ready to eat.

One thing I do for breakfast is a kind of muesli by mixing raw rolled oats, yogurt (regular or Greek), fruit, and nuts, and I've packed that without refrigeration or insulation for a couple of hours later, so I think if you had an insulated bag you'd probably be good for most of the day, and you could play with the ratios (more yogurt and nuts, less oats and fruit) to get the macro balance you want.
  • Here's an idea, I don't know if it would work.

What if you made some borsch (don't know how to spell it. Soup meant to be eaten cold) and froze it in single serving sizes. Take the frozen soup with you and by the time your ready to eat it, it should be defrosted and ready to eat.
  • Also, jerky. Either home made or store bought depending on your nutritional needs.