what is a healthy weight for 5'10

I set my goal weight at 135 lbs, that's where I was at in my profile pic. The more research I do that seems to be underweight. I thought that weight looked ok on me but I'm curious what a healthy weight should be at what others my height set as their goal weight

Replies

• That is very low! I am a female almost 5'10" and my goal is 147
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    My husband is 5'9". He looks best around 160.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Your research is right. That is almost under weight for a woman, so take guess what it would be for a man. You'd probably be better in the 150-170 range.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Thats my goal weight, except i am a female at 5'5 and that is healthy weight for me(i am guessing as i am still far from it)
  • Currently I'm at 154 which the charts say I should be at but I thought I looked better when I was around 135. I guess it's because I carry my extra weight in my stomach
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Hey there,

Agree with the above peoples that you need to put your goal much higher.

Were you a teenager or 20ish in the pic? Maybe you hadn't finished growing then so that weight was right for that particular time?
  • I was 24 or 25 but my frame is on the smaller side
  • psuLemon
    What are you looking to achieve? Do you want muscle tone or something?
  • What are you looking to achieve? Do you want muscle tone or something?
    My main goal is just to lose the extra fat I have put on.
  • What are you looking to achieve? Do you want muscle tone or something?

Then just keep going till you're happy with how you look. I would think maybe 145 or 140 would be okay.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    135 seems a bit light for 5'10
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    I am 5'11 and a healthy range is 135 to 175 :laugh: Which seems as realistic as Santa taking me on a ride on Christmas Eve.
  • psuLemon
    What are you looking to achieve? Do you want muscle tone or something?

Any chance you would consider adding muscle to fill out your body? Doing so will end up lowering your effective body fat percentage.
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    There is a huge range in what is considered a healthy weight - it is 20 lbs or more, some prefer the top of the range, some the bottom. My suggestion is to go by what makes you feel the best and to check with a BMI calculator and some weight range charts to make sure your goal is realistic. If you are off, get some advice from your doctor.

Here is the National Institute of Health calculator

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm