30 Day shred

Options
2»

Replies

• Andrea1877
    Andrea1877 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I've been on MFP for 2 weeks, my first time ever trying to lose weight. Above you say "The main thing is to eat at the deficit MFP sets up for you". Does that mean I should eat the 1200 calories that MFP set for me for my daily calories or do you mean to eat under the 1200 calories?(deficit?) I plan on buying the 30 Day Shred video and I want to be sure I'm doing it correctly. Sorry for the "newby" question. Thank you :smile:

The way MFP is designed is that you eat the 1200 calories they give you (which, in my opinion, is too low. TDEE method is better....do a search on it) and then eat back the calories you earn from exercising.

Okay thank you very much for clarifying. I will look up TDEE as you suggest. :smile:
  • Shannini
    Shannini Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi..I'm just getting started with MFP...what's the "30 day shred"? I'm finding it terribly difficult to motivate myself to go to the gym and exercise. My husband is in the military and they have mandatory PT (phys ed.) 3 times a week so he's NOT willing to do anything that remotely resembles exercise with me. Because of the way my work day is structured the only time I really have to do any exercising is at 6 in the morning before I head into work.

I'll do it for a week or two and then sleep gets in my way.

Any suggestions?
  • write2sonya
    write2sonya Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    ~BUMP~
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is a Fitness dvd from Jillian Michaels. You can find it at your local Walmart for 9.97 (or Walmart.com if your store doesn't carry it) It is a fairly short but intense workout, which includes a 2 minute warmup, 18 minutes of workout and a 2 minute cool down. It is broke down into 3 circuits (a set of exercises rapidly following each other). In each circuit you do 3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio and 1 minute of abs. You repeat this 3,2,1 format two more times each time doing different sets of exercises.

It is a very effective workout for as short a time as it takes to complete. You are always exercising more than one muscle group with each move (essentially you are multi-tasking your workout, working both biceps and glutes, shoulders and abs, triceps and quads, etc.)

Very worth your money to give it a try. It was amongst the best $10 I ever spent on fitness equipment.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the 30 Day Shred DVD. I've been really into Jillian Michaels workouts & am currently reading her "Slim For Life" book. I strongly recommend that too if anyone is interested in reading & learning A LOT about food, fitness, & how to maintain.

I just logged it in under my own workouts, & put it in as "30 Day Shred", 'cause it gives the option to create your own. So anytime I do some from fitness websites, or DVDs, I log them in like that. Then I can keep track of which ones I've done & on what days. But I'm sure logging them in under circuit training works just as well. :)
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Got this formula in one of the forums but its a good one to have:
    This was for working out how many calories you burn when doing circuit training/30 day shred

Multiply 3.267 x your weight (lbs) and that is how many calories burned in an hour.

30 Day Shred = 27 mins -: divide above figure by 3 since the warm up and cool down are considered exercise but not intense. I get only 153 calories burned but if I log MFPs circuit training cal burn on here its over 212!
    Quite a difference!

OR just multiply your weight by 1.089 (3.267/3 = 1.089). It would give you the same thing

Just create your own exercise '30 day Shred level 1' e.g and input the calories you've calculated so you have that in your database for further entries :)

ps I'm on day 16, level 2..am loving it and seeing results already :-D

THIS IS VERY HELPFUL THANKS
  • cherryblossomrose
    Options
    Very helpful thread
    Thank you!
  • leediiar
    leediiar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hello :) I'm going to start the shred on the 1st of October, anyone else starting on the 1st of the month? :)
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm STARTING ON THE 1ST
  • KCHernandez1981
    KCHernandez1981 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I will do it with you girls!
  • aprilbengston
    Options
    Thanks for the formula, I am surprised it was not in there as an exercise option. It is so popular. I am at day one, I have done it before, but this time I plan to do it 30 days in a row!
  • shan_0517
    shan_0517 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ElizabethWillNotFail
    Options
    bump
  • Shannini
    Shannini Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fell of the MFP wagon over Christmas but back att'er in the New Year...but I started a running program last week. 9 wk program to condition me to run a 5K and I'm in week 2. Tomorrow is my check-in and I know I've lost SOMETHING because my clothes don't fit...I'm anxious to see if I've actually lost Lbs or just inches. Either way a loss is a loss and I'll thake that as a win. :happy:
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just did level 3 day 4, I've seen great results and love the workout. I have 3 lb and 5 lb weights, I try to use the 5 lbs for everything but there's been at least one exercise each level where I had to use the 3. I can see my abs now and have definition in my thighs and shoulders.
    If you're like me, a few days in to level 2 (which I think is the hardest level) you'll want to quit but if you stick through it, it is absolutely worth it .
    And I agree with those saying take the odd rest day when you really need it. I've had one per level.