Does anyone know what happened to me last night?

Options
Getting ready to maybe do day 2 of 30 day shred. But I'm nervous, because I had a scary experience last night long after the workout. My boyfriend and I had finished watching a DVD, and I bent over to turn off the DVD player when a REALLY sharp pain, starting at my lower back and extending down my butt, thigh, and calf, going all the way to my heel, hit me. it was my right leg only and it actually buckled on me, and my boyfriend had to carry me to bed. I cried a little it hurt so bad. It felt a little like very sore muscles from my workout but also kind of like an electric current running through my right leg. if my hips swiveled, it hurt more. Somewhere in the night, it went away, and I felt fine this morning and still do. No idea what that was. I have never experienced that before. If anyone knows what this was that happened and could give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it. last night I thought maybe I should see a chiropractor or something, but since I'm better now, I don't know...

Replies

• Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    sounds like your siatic nerve that runs down your back and leg. If you ever get preggo you'll have alot of that pain. its from pressure and such on it. def can bring you to your knees!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    It might have been a pinched nerve and really, the only way to get it to go away is to relax. If it something with your back, and something was inflamed, NEVER put a warm compress on it. It will make internal swelling worse. Right after I had my daughter, my back slipped out of place while I went to sit down, and I couldn't walk for most of the day. Very painful. Only thing you can do is wait it out and take anti-inflammatory medicines (ibuprofen etc). Hope you feel better, and be careful when you workout.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Sounds like sciatic nerve acting up...don't know what causes it. You might want to research info on it.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a pinched nerve along your lumbar spine. There are so many little nerve bundles along your spine that lead into your muscles, that if just one nerve is irritated, all the rest of them will respond and flare with pain. You mentioned that you jus started the 30 Day Shred. Did you stretch AFTER your workout? Also, be very wary of full-blown stretching BEFORE your workout. Your muscles need to warm up and have proper blood flow before you stretch. Run in place or do some jumping jacks to get the blood moving, then stretch before your workout. And always stretch generously after your workout. There is a possibility that you did not stretch enough/properly AFTER your workout and when your muscles contracted for the night, they contracted and irritated some nerve bundles. I am not a doctor, just someone who has been through this type of pain many times before. If the problem persists, ice the affected area and maybe see a chiropracter.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rest of the people who have posted, but remember that we are not doctors.
    If you're worried I would suggest calling a doc.
    Hope it's better soon. It's not fun dealing with back issues.
    Steph
  • dbrady102
    dbrady102 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Be careful - when my daughter who's a pitcher in fast pitch softball was having back issues last year I took her to the doctor and he said the good news was that she did NOT have a shooting pain down her leg because that could mean a disc problem. It could just be sciatic but if it persists you really should get it checked out.
  • MassageGirlRC
    Options
    Definatley sciatic nerve. I am a massage therapist. When I see clients with this pain I teach them a stretch for their piriformis and other deep hip mucscles. Here is a youtube video that you may find useful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options

I followed this link, and it described what happened to me last night to a T. I thought it had to be a pinched nerve or something, but I didn't really know since I'd never experienced it before. I've had lower back pain for over a year, but it's never escalated to this until now. I'm going to see a chiropractor asap! Thanks so much for the help, guys!
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Definatley sciatic nerve. I am a massage therapist. When I see clients with this pain I teach them a stretch for their piriformis and other deep hip mucscles. Here is a youtube video that you may find useful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME

Thanks so much! Checking it out right now!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I have suffered through back pain issues and I would say either something is pinched or you need to start stregthening your back muscles. I find that I have to bend a certain way to avoid the lower back issues and some workouts just aren't for me. Your back, like your abs needs to be worked out to stay strong and avoid issues. I would go see what the chiropractor says and I would recommend back care yoga by rodney yee from gaiam and there are a lot of balance ball exercises that will get you on the road to recovery. It does sound like sciatica to me too but it never hurts to get that back strong!

hope you feel better :drinker:
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Agree with massage girl. Probably caused by the nerve being pinched, make that appointment to see your chiro again who will show you stretches and perform massage techniques to loosen the tight muscles. In the meantime a warm pad and ibruprofen will help the pain.
  • kristi223
    kristi223 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this!! I have had sciatic nerve pain since I was pregnant...almost 3 years ago! It still acts up on occasion and I am definitely going to try this!!!

• diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That definitely sounds like sciatica. Most back problems are a combination of disc, muscle and ligament problems, and teh pain that shoots down your leg is due to one of those pressing on the root of your sciatic nerve.
    Firstly there are certain 'red flag' symptoms that would warrant going straight to ER and having a scan. These are difficulty in passing water (either not going or incontinence) numbness of teh genital area ('saddle anaesthesia') or progressive loss of sensation or power in the legs.
    For the first few days pain relief and gentle movement is best. When you feel ready try McKenzie back exercises. See link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBOp-ugJbTQ

Hope that helps.

D