Multi-Vitamins & When to take them

Options
mlh612
mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
I have been taking a One-A-Day multi-vitamin for the last month now and it always seems to upset my stomach. I take it right after I eat so my stomach is not empty and it still makes me feel sick. Any suggestions on the best time to take it? I also need to start taking an extra calcium vitamin (MD orders) but would like to get this under control before I through something else in the mix.

Thanks so much!!!

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If a multivitamin upsets you on a full stomach, IMO (based on personal experience) it is time to change to another. I have the same problem, and the easiest on my stomach multi that I have found is an adult gummy vitamin. Costco carries them, and they are actually made in the same state I live in. I think they are called "Gummy Vites."

Edit to add: I can take these multi's on an empty stomach with no problems.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    try a liquid form, the pill might be to hard for you to digest...i take a one a day vitamin, plus one calcium because i don't eat dairy...make sure your calcium has vitamin d and magnesium in it, this helps with the absorbtion of the calcium, if not you'll just pee it out. and make sure your calcium is at least 600mg...log it in your food chart so you can see your vitamin intake...you could also crush your pills and put them in a smoothy or a glass of water...this helps with absorbtion faster and might be easier on your stomach...i will forever be on vitamins, kind of sucks...but that's life lol (p.s. I also take evening primrose oil because i'm a hormonal b!tch when i have PMS)
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I like the Viactiv vitamins and calcium chews. I take mine with my morning protein shake.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Take 50% in AM, & 50% PM! Body can only absorb this much at a time.[:bigsmile: [Dr. Oz.]
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Maybe try taking it right before you go to bed. That's what I do with my prenatal (not pregnant, trying to be) because taking it during the day was not working for me.
  • mlh612
    Options
    Thanks so much! I will try the crushing them up (to use up the bottle) and if that doesn't work on to the next option.

Maybe I should start taking primrose oil b/c I can get b!*chy around then too! :laugh:
  • Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220
    Options
    I have the women's one a day mind and body.. When I first started taking them, they caused this exact same problem, and I was JUST about to switch when my body adjusted and I can even take them on an empty stomach if I have to, though its always better to have a vitamin with food if at all possible in my opinion.

But if it has been longer than a week and they are still doing that, DEFINITELY switch to something easier to digest.
  • mlh612
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I never thought of liquid vitamin or gummy vitamins - even thought that's what my daughter takes... I will start with trial and error and see what works :smile:

Thanks again!!!
  • kattiek
    kattiek Posts: 83
    Options
    You may want to investigate the type of calcium that you're taking. People sometimes think that they can't take calcium supplements because it upsets their stomach. I also have this problem if I take women's 1 a day on an empty stomach. There are different types of calcium supplements to take. Calcium carbonate is the most common type of calcium in supplement form and is present in the W-1-a day. This is the cheapest form and also the type that can cause upset stomach in some people. Another option is calcium citrate. It can be taken on an empty stomach, so you might want to try this kind and see how it makes you feel. This type is found in Citrical, if you're willing to try it. You may have to take more pills though because the amount of calcium is a little lower than in calcium carbonate. When in doubt, check the directions. If you have acid reflux, though citrical may not be a good option. Calcium lactate may also be a safe bet. The following foods are also decent sources of calcium: milk, ice cream, yogurt, tofu, salmon, sardines (with bones), clams, oysters, turnips, broccoli, kale, spinach, beans (pinto, red, & white), sweet potatoes, and also fortified juices and soy milk. Vitamin D helps with absorption. Excessive amounts of zinc, magnesium, and sodium tend to inhibit absorption or enhance the excretion of calcium.

Hope this helps!!