5'4 ladies and calories

Options

Replies

• annenhie
    annenhie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" too. I struggle to eat 1200 per day, usually under that most of the times. I don't eat back my exercise calories which is an average of 700+ per day. That's a bit unhealthy I was told but I am losing lots of weight and I do tend to go out and eat a lot (about 2000+ calories) once or twice a week.
  • lauranneuk
    lauranneuk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    5. 4' and have just reset my cals to 1700 a day (which I Was on when I started). I cut them down and down and down, until dangerous levels because I thought I would lose quicker. Didn't work. Just made me crazy. I lost 63lb on the 1700 and have plateaued since I cut down (for what I know are obvious reasons now!)

Good luck on your journey x x
  • Aaronslostaway
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and three quarters so basically 5'5, I eat 1,200 calories a day.
    I think I used to eat 2,300 calories a day (D:).
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 233 lbs. I currently eat about 1700 - 2100 calories per day total, netting around 1500 - 1600 per day. I'm losing 1 - 3 lbs per week, although over the long term it averages to 1.5 lbs per week, which is my target. I eat back both exercise and Fitbit calories.

I did the math once and I'm basically eating TDEE - 20%, but I find this way of tracking it works better for me mentally.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 weighed about 10 stone at the start now I'm about 9.3-5stone . My calories is 1600 using the TDEE. I did start at 1200 but I found I wasn't losing anything and found 1200 put me starvation mode stuck at a plateau.
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    im 5"4 started at 1460 and just recently brought it down to 1300 after a 49lbs loss!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and about 130-135 pounds. I eat about 2000 a day, but I'm pretty active and I'm nearing maintenance. I was losing on around 1700-1800.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    5'4 at 142lbs a calculator I found online says:

Resting metabolic rate requires 1437 calories per day
    Maximum calories/day in order to lose weight: 1655 (exercise included, no eating back cals)

started using this calculation for a week now, will see how it works out at the start of the month when i weigh in again.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3.5" CW 152, SW 210. GW 130. I eat between 1,500-2,000 cal's/day. Usually closer to the 2,000. I lift weights 1-2 times/week. Zumba 2-4 times/week. Losing 1lb/week. Since I'm close to goal, I don't want to lose too quickly, because I will feel hungry and deprived, and try to make up for it....recently happened...gained 10lb's. :( I try to strive for high protein, 30mg/meal, 90/day. Try to include fruits/veggies with every meal/snack, not always possible, but I try. Trying to stay away from the junk food and processed stuff more lately, and I try to always eat whole grain/whole wheat bread, pasta, and tortillas, (I love mexican food, and there's so many healthy ways to prepare it). I use a bodymedia device, which tells me what I burn daily, and I go by that, with a deficit of 500 or more cal's/day. 500cal's x 7 days in a week = 3,500 cal's, which is how many cal's it takes to burn 1lb of fat. :wink: Good luck! :happy:
  • Sarahwantshealth
    Sarahwantshealth Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" too. I struggle to eat 1200 per day, usually under that most of the times. I don't eat back my exercise calories which is an average of 700+ per day. That's a bit unhealthy I was told but I am losing lots of weight and I do tend to go out and eat a lot (about 2000+ calories) once or twice a week.

This is me exactly. Except 1200 isn't a struggle. I have one day a week that falls closer to 2000. I walk 4 miles most days and lift weights. I don't eat back anything. I am 176, started out at 189. I am averaging a two pound per week weight loss but I expect it to go down a little as I get closer to my goal weight. For me this works!
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i love all MFPers. u r so supportive.
  • carmendeans
    Options
    I'm 5'4, 120 pounds and eat 1600 calories to lose weight. I exercise 5x a week with weights + cardio 3x a week.
  • msjackie30
    msjackie30 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and losing 1.5-2 lbs a week eating 1600 a day and if I want to I eat a bit of my exercise calories back too.

Same here, 1600 about same weight.loss :-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    5'4" and three quarters, I've lost 60 lbs in 8 months eating 1700 calories a day, I've increased my activity some since the beginning though (mostly now I walk 5 miles a day in average with some weight/cardio twice a week). I'm 35, if it matters.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, around 180 pounds, and I eat 1620 a day. I think the mistake some people on mfp make is saying they want to lose 2 pounds per week instead of 1 when they do their settings -- a lot of people aren't big enough to healthily lose 2 lbs per week, and they end up getting a low number. If you set it to one pound per week or less, you should get a number that's a little bit easier to work with.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and NET 1970 a day.
    I eat all my exercise calories back, so actually eating 2100-2500 a day.
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    this thread is so great, I was literally just wondering what other people my height/weight range were eating, calorie wise. how useful
  • Paula5130
    Paula5130 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 2, eat between 1300 and 1500 cals daily, exercise 4-5 out of 7, and have occasional 2000 calorie day as a metabolism shake up, average 1.5 to 2 pounds a week, have lost 3. Occassionally. I generally don't eat back my exercise calories. Add me and view my diary if you wish. I log EVERYTHING
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    hypothyroid here, same height as you. I eat 1600 to 1800 calories, not net. a day. Im not losing weight, but im looking fitter :) I exercise 7 days a week, ave day burn is 500 minimum
  • muamontreal
    muamontreal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    5`4 , 145 lbs (from 156, 2 months ago) : I try to stay under the 1500 Cal per day, everyday . I use the TDEE - 20 % so I don't change my numbers when I exercise or not. I am doing C25K too (week 6 : woot woot). I run 5 days a week. I am losing on average 1 lbs a week but some weeks I lose 2 lbs , some I don't lose ...I am not starving and I feel that's a good number for me ...

Hope this helps

:flowerforyou: