Newbie needs help :/

Options
I should start out by telling you that I have very disordered eating tendencies (I've never been diagnosed with an eating disorder, though). I eat when I'm hungry, and I eat pretty healthy usually, but my calories stay around 800-900. I joined MFP because I want to learn to eat correctly and make my body stronger. I also have this unsightly baby pooch that I would kill to get rid of.

So, MFP says I should eat around 1200 calories, but I feel that may be too low? But, where my body is used to eating so little calories, if I all of a sudden start raking in 1400 calories a day, will I gain a ton of weight?

I'm 5'5" and 127 pounds. I'm not concerned with weight loss, I just want to get my body more fit. I have a very physical job and an elliptical machine I like to use at least 4 times a week.

Help, please? :flowerforyou:

Edit: I should point out that I plan to incorporate way more exercising once I learn the proper way to do things.

Replies

• Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You do need to eat quite a bit more to actually be able to build muscle effectively. With the amount of exercise you're doing at the moment you're probably burning off quite a sunstantial amount of them maybe resulting in only 1/2 of those calories actually being used outside of exercise.

I think you have to really eat more in order to be able to give your body the vital elements it needs to build muscle etc!

Edit: basically what I'm saying is that your body after exercise isn't getting the calories it needs for normal daily functions which could be a big problem!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm on my phone, so I can't link, but you should figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). That is the amount of calories you should be eating since you don't want to lose weight. I'd recommend bumping your calories up by 100 every day or two until you get to your goal calories. Yes, you will gain weight initially, but it won't be a ton and it WILL level off. Once you're giving your body proper nutrition, you can start doing strength training (heavy lifting, HIIT, whatever your preference) and that will help "reshape" your body by burning fat while preserving lean muscle mass.

It also might be a really good idea for you to talk to someone about your disordered eating. That sort of thing doesn't just happen, it usually comes from a flawed perception of either your body or food. Once you start eating in a more healthy manner (and yes probably gaining a little weight at first), you may start to have anxiety or other issues mental/emotional issues over the increased food.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    MFP only gives you numbers as good as you put in. If the goals you give it are too agressive, it is going to give you unrealistic results. You look like you have very little to lose, so setting 2 lbs/week is unrealistic. If you aren't logging and eating extra for all the exercise you do, including walks and such, sedentary may be unrealistic. If you have been consistently undereating, your body may have become accustomed to too little food, so hunger may not be a reliable indicator (when I was anorexic, I never got hungry, even though I was netting in the negatives). The below links should helo you figure out a more realistic goal for what you want to accomplish. As Stage14 suggested, increasing in small increments is the best way to go. You always gain weight when you stop eating at a deficit since your body replenishes your glycogen stores and retains water as a result, so don't freak out. Track body measurements rather than scale weights. And definitely look into heavy lifting.

The Basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/841305-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag

Not posted in this group yet, but the much more comprehensive and expanded version of "The Basics' thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058378-oh-noes-i-am-eating-below-my-bmr
  • StepAwayFromTheCupcake
    Options

It also might be a really good idea for you to talk to someone about your disordered eating. That sort of thing doesn't just happen, it usually comes from a flawed perception of either your body or food. Once you start eating in a more healthy manner (and yes probably gaining a little weight at first), you may start to have anxiety or other issues mental/emotional issues over the increased food.

I'm not worried about that.
  • timothydriver
    timothydriver Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You want to maintain your current weight correct? What is your goals on here for calories? Matain weight or loose weight? Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like...Once I get your answers I may be able to answer somethings better for you.
  • StepAwayFromTheCupcake
    Options
    Well I figure in order to flatten out my stomach, I'll need to lose a few more pounds. But I'm not too worried about the scale either way. I just know that in order to lose the pooch, I need to start some kind of strength training. And in order to do that, I need to eat more. I just didn't know if eating an extra 500 or so calories a day out of no where would be like a mini shock to my body or something....if that makes sense?
  • timothydriver
    timothydriver Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Well I figure in order to flatten out my stomach, I'll need to lose a few more pounds. But I'm not too worried about the scale either way. I just know that in order to lose the pooch, I need to start some kind of strength training. And in order to do that, I need to eat more. I just didn't know if eating an extra 500 or so calories a day out of no where would be like a mini shock to my body or something....if that makes sense?

Yes that does...ok lets see as long as your exercising the extra calories will not matter because you will be burning and regaining your calories everytime you eat and exercise. So just keep an eye on your tracker every day if it says you should eat more to level out your intake then do it you do not have to break even everyday I'm usually under mine each day some more then others.

I would suggest to loose a little weight try running outside if possiable doesn't have to be far but I have found that is how I loose weight the quickest. Inside the gym don't just do "easy workouts" challenge yourself at least a few times a week and try to lift heavier weights. Also I have found that a GPS/Calorie counter watch helps out a lot when it comes to running and working out cause I am aware of how much I am burning each time.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I also battle the dread tummy pooch. And the truth is, no matter how much weight I lose, it always stays. It wasn't until I stopped trying to aggressively lose weight and concentrated on body recomposition (which involved eating at a smaller deficit and, for me, lifting heavy weights 3 times a week) that I started to lose it. I've only lost a couple of pounds since then but lost over an inch on my waist in just a month.

If you're really 127lbs, you don't need to lose weight, you need to lose the fat store at your waist line. Strength training will do that.
  • melissaondesko
    melissaondesko Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    An important thing to remember about abs, is that they are made in the kitchen. Really! MFP gives a calorie goal, but if you are choosing a lot of empty calories, it works against you. Your weight is pretty ideal for your height, so you may want to just look into some focused core training. Get into a routine incorporating a good amount of body weight exercises, like planks, pushups, rotation movements, and stabilization, and you will see your midsection shape up in no time. It is not going to "melt off" your bulge, but it will tighten the muscles under, which may be all you need. I have the perception that I have that too, and well, I think we are a bit too hard on ourselves!
  • Nordichorseman
    Nordichorseman Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Step up you intake by 200cals per day for two weeks then repeat until you hit you daily calorie goal. You should stabilize for a few weeks at a this daily goal monitoring the scale, adjust accordingly in small increments. Believe there is a chance that a large majority of excess calories that you take in above your current (because your so low) will be stored in an undesirable manner (i.e. fat). Think any deficient calorie diet follows this protocol. Also consider lifting weights as part of your routine.
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I agree. You do need more calories. Also, given your current level of activity, you don't need more cardio, but you should start lifting. You also need to be prepared to see the scale move the wrong way, but you may look a lot better as you start adding more muscle.

I don't know that much about lifting, but I have several friends who have achieved great results that way. Happy to make introductions if that would be helpful. Cheers!