Need help losing the last 15 kg(35 kg lost)

Options
Hi guys.
I need some help and guidance, as my weightloss has been seriously slow the last couple of months. I've lost 35 kg so far, and have about 15 kg to go.

As I hadn't seen any results in a month, I decided to try some serious dieting, only eating 1200-1300 kcal pr. day. It worked great, and I managed to lose a couple of kg's in 2-3 weeks, but as I started school again, it immediately became clear, that I couldn't continue on only 1200 kcal pr. day. Also, I don't have ANY energy for any workout, so I need to change my goal while still losing weight at a rate, that doesn't make me give up.

So I'm asking you guys, what would you do, if you was me? I'm a 20-year old girl, 165 cm and 79 kg. I'm moderately active and I aim to workout 2-3 times a week(1 hour intense workout). My problem is that I get really impatient, and then do stupid things, so I need a goal that'll make me see progress and still be able to eat like a normal human being.

I've been thinking about setting a weekly goal, instead of a daily, but I don't know if that'll work. I have some days were I really want/need to eat for 1600-1700 kcal, and other days were I'm good at 1300 kcal. That's why I'm thinking, a weekly goal of, let's say 10000 would be a better way to go - what do y'all think? do you think it'll work that way? If I set my weekly goal to 10000 i'll have a daily net of around 1430. do you think i'll be able to lose weight this way?

ANY help and guidance is appreciated, and I'm open and willing to try to make some changes. I wanna lose weight, but I need to be able to stand on my feet all day, while doing so, and 1200 kcal isn't cutting it anymore.

- Homa

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I put your stats in scoobysworkshop.com. According to him, and I find he's pretty accurate, your bmr is 1561 and your tdee on moderately active 2419. So you shouldn't really eat less than 1600 and should ( losing weight on anything less 2419.

For the last 15 kg I would go for -15% which gives you 2056 calories!
    You are eating far to little!

How long have you been so restrictive with your food?
  • misshpn
    misshpn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What, that seems so insane! :O There is NO way I'm losing weight while eating over 1700-1900 kcal daily - that I'm sure of!

I've been on weightwatchers for about a year(janaury 2012 - february 2013), but started using MFP in february 2013. I started on MFP weighing 85 kg, and had a net of about 1500 kcal. I since lowered it, and the last month it has been on 1250. I now weigh 79.8 kg.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I second Scooby. But 2-3 workouts make you lightly active at best, so depending on what you do the rest of the time, you might want to use that setting instead.

Scooby and MFP are actually pretty close if you use MFP correctly, ie, if you eat your exercise calories and use the right activity level. It just evens it out for every day instead of eating different amounts every day.

For what it's worth, I have about 10 kg to lose now, I'm older than you (35), same height, and I've been losing great on 1700 a day. I workout twice a week but walk about 5 miles a day in average.

Also make sure you weigh all your food and log everything.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Even if I put you down to 1-3 hours workout your tdee still comes up as 2146...

Trouble is if you have been eating under your bmr for this long already and worked out 3x a week you may have already slowed down your metabolism.

So you basically have to teach your body how to burn enough calories again.
    My advice, which might sound a bit drastisc but really isn't, is to do a reset. Which means at your tdee for a couple of weeks, 2-3 might be enough but I got friends who did it for months, before cutting again. And this time only cut 20% and not go under your tdee.

Have a look at the group eat more to weigh less, there is s lot of information about this sort of thing.

Edit to add: I took the 2-3 workouts as 3 and calculated in that she says she is moderately active in day to day life but yes lightly active might be better
  • misshpn
    Options
    So you guys think I'll be able to lose weight even while eating +1700 kcal pr. day? If I eat that many kcal, I'll be able to workout at least 3 times a week! I don't know, I'm scared that I'll gain weight, because on the bad days where I've eaten more that my net, and I've weighted myself in the morning, I'll always weighed more that the day before. I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to the scale.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What, that seems so insane! :O There is NO way I'm losing weight while eating over 1700-1900 kcal daily - that I'm sure of!

I've been on weightwatchers for about a year(janaury 2012 - february 2013), but started using MFP in february 2013. I started on MFP weighing 85 kg, and had a net of about 1500 kcal. I since lowered it, and the last month it has been on 1250. I now weigh 79.8 kg.

Why can't you lose on 1700 calories. I know women 30 years old, 30 lbs lighter and just as active doing it. Heck, look at the below thread. In fact, if you fuel your body properly, you would be surprised how much you can lose. In fact, your body has told you before that 1200 calories is not enough. So why under fuel our body. Heck , I saw more weight loss at 2500 calories as compared to 1800 calories. Now the only question is where is your sweet spot. WW is generally lower calories so it's possible that your RMR could have adapted. So I would suggest taking the lower end of the range and start with 1700 calories. Also, I would suggest altering macros as well to around 40% carbs, 30% protein and fats. Also, if you haven't started weight training, I would highly suggest it. It's great for muscle retention and can sustain your metabolism.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
  • misshpn
    Options
    I'm looking into the idea of upping my kcal intake, but I'm not loving it haha. The idea is frightening to me, but I'm staying open.

Does anyone else have any other thoughts on my lack of progress, or does everyone agree that it's because of my low kcal intake?
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    100% agree with above users on increasing calories to at least 1700. It has to be sustainable for you, you have to be happy or you'll give in to cravings / feel dreadful.
    on the bad days where I've eaten more that my net, and I've weighted myself in the morning

That's not fat you've gained. Promise. I know it looks like a scary gain - I used to panic over this too - but It's just water weight and drops off entirely in a couple of days when you get back on track. And with THAT knowledge, the guilt drops off, too. :smile:
  • misshpn
    Options
    That's not fat you've gained. Promise. I know it looks like a scary gain - I used to panic over this too - but It's just water weight and drops off entirely in a couple of days when you get back on track. And with THAT knowledge, the guilt drops off, too. :smile:

I really hope you're right haha!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    People are afraid to eat more because they panic as soon as the scale moves up... but it's totally normal. Weight naturally fluctuates all the time, and remember you have to eat 3500 calories above your TDEE to gain 1 lb of fat. Typically it's just water weight when you gain. You might gain a bit going to 1700 but really, it's unlikely that it will be fat.
  • Murat143
    Options
    the last couple pounds is the hardest i think just stick to what you have been doing and keep up with the work outs but for me is i try to be on 1000 caloric deficit each day but i do alot of cardio so i can eat more just keep going its going to come off either way it can be muscle thats made the scale stayed the same happened to me this weeks of weighing i was angry at the scale because you can never know