Plateu!!! :(

Options
It's happening to me!

If it happened to you what did you do to get past it?

This past week MFP actually suggested I reduce my calories!?!?!?

This past week I actually stepped it up a bit! Incorporated a cardio/ weights work out along with my 4 times a week 3.5 klm walks

I actually gained a pound :(

TIA

Replies

• wikinothing
    Options
    How long has it been since you've lost a pound? Most people THINK they are on a plateau when they are really not.

The pound you gained was probably water retention from adding exercise.
  • DaylerNoelle
    Options
    Hey!:) it happened to me too and it lasted for a month.
    I was extremely frustrated and i started to get alot of moodswings but your body has to get used to the new weight! No worries, just continue with your exercise and eat healthily, and you'll be losing weight in no time!
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It's likely just water retention from changing up your workout, especially since you're adding weight training! When I start a new strength routine, I usually don't "lose" for a bit but then one morning I'll step on the scale and *suddenly* be 3 lb lighter, because my muscles finally recovered and let go of all the water.

Also, I'm sure MFP decreased your cals because as you lose weight, you burn fewer cals 24/7 - BMR goes down. It doesn't hurt to make sure you're measuring your food perfectly (no estimating!). As we lose, we have less wiggle room and we have to change things up a little to keep losing!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you doing?? Open you diary. If you are doing low calories that maybe the reason.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I went 8 months with slow, consistent weight loss - from Sept 2012 to April 2013. Then in April I stopped losing anything on the scales. The odd thing was that my body continued to 'shrink' during that time. I don't know if there is science to it, but I think my body needed that time to adjust. I just stuck with what I was doing, made sure I was eating plenty of fresh fruit and veggies as well as drinking my water, and trusted that I would start dropping pounds again. Right now I'm happy with 3-4 pounds a month, but I'm only 9 lbs. from goal. Just remember you are making yourself healthier and that's something not measured on a scale. It's all about making lifestyle changes - not just for now but from this day forward.
  • ButterflyDame
    ButterflyDame Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

I have not lost anything for a week pretty much when AF arrive( menses)
    No pomt in opening my diary, it's all quick add, I know what I'm eating, it's portion control/ calorie controlled frozen meals.

My calories intake should sit at around 1200 some days I Do at back some of my exercise, and some days I don't.

One mistake is not ENOUGH water for one.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    One week, not a plateau. :flowerforyou:
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I was on a plateau for over 2 and a half months. It happens. Mine was because I started upping my strength training. You have to think about what you're doing diet-wise, and what you're doing with your exercise. Has anything changed? Is it really a plateau? How long has it been? A week is not a plateau. A couple weeks is not a plateau. Perspective is important.
  • ihateyoga
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs in my first week. However, my weight loss stopped at the 3rd week. I found out that my body was in starvation mode (I exercised 2 hours a day and total calorie intake was only 900.) I increased my calorie intake. Now I'm losing weight slowly.
  • ButterflyDame
    ButterflyDame Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    oh really! not a plateau :)
    ok so i have alot to learn then :bigsmile:
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you've lost a pound? Most people THINK they are on a plateau when they are really not.

The pound you gained was probably water retention from adding exercise.

Wow, you called it. Definitely NOT a plateau by any stretch of the imagination.
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    A plateau happens when you are stalling for at least a month or two!
    And if u just started exercising you should consider water retention!
    Plus you said you had your period!! Almost every woman gains weight during her period!
    You are fine, gice it time. Your weight loss will become slower, you cant expect to drop as fast as the first couple of weeks
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    A plateau is 6 weeks or more of no weight loss WHILE being consistent on calories deficit with/without exercise. Any less than that would be a stall, but just one week I wouldn't even consider a stall since weight loss isn't linear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition