is this cheating???

Options
2»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Example: I workout for 90mins and burn 1400 calories.

Highly doubtful.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    *usually* I don't count that kind of activity, but if it's prolonged I will. I was at the fair for 4.5 hours last week and counted 2 hours of 2mph walking...since I didn't continually walk the whole time (as I'm sure you didn't-trying on clothes or what not).
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

Highly doubtful.
    It would be pretty hard to burn that much!! I would not count walking at a mall
  • SHRINKINGG1
    SHRINKINGG1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Highly doubtful.

Not for me. 45 min of martial arts 700 I confirmed it with my HRM over several classes and it averaged about 700.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I only log workouts.
  • weightlossdiva1219
    Options
    In my opinion, sorta. the only time I ever logged some sort of exercise from walking around was when I spent 9 hours at Disneyland. And I only logged 50 minutes of walking liesurely. But I don't workout so I can eat more....I workout so I can lose weight.
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I do think it depends what you have your account set to. If you're doing something that's significantly outside of your daily activities, I would log that. During the school year, for example, I'm almost always just sitting, so I set my account to sedentary. So when I spend a day cleaning or shopping, I do log that. I do usually log it for a lot less time than I actually spent, just to make sure I'm not getting an exaggerated number (4 hours of shopping as 1-2 hours of walking). However, during the summer, I work retail, and set my account to lightly active, in which case I don't log things like cleaning and shopping. I just assume they're included in my account settings.
  • shanaya37
    shanaya37 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If I am on my treadmill at #12 incline and walking fast at 4 mph I can easily burn 600 calories/hr so 1400 at 95 minutes isn't impossible, just extremely hard.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain weight or plateau, then yes log and eat back exercise calories for leisurely strolling around a mall while shopping. Personally, I would not. If I'm walking a long distance at a quick pace, then yes, I'll log that.

Also, I personally burn at max 400 cals/hr doing vigorous exercise. 1400 cals/90 mins does sound a little unrealistic unless it is a very large person.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I logged that kind of thing for a year when I had my profile set to sedentary, and it didn't hinder my weight loss.

Now I've got my profile set to lightly active and I no longer log incidental walking.

If it makes you happy to log it, go ahead.

In a month or two if you are losing weight too quickly or not quickly enough, you can reevaluate your habits.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    why not get a Fitbit and sync it with MFP? then you'll get credit where credit is due....
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    why not get a Fitbit and sync it with MFP? then you'll get credit where credit is due....

This is what I did...

But not necessary. Just pick an approach and use it consistently...and if you like the results, carry on and if you don't like the results, adjust accordingly.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Highly doubtful.

Well my Polar FT7 average HR during my 90-130min runs is 154 and shows that I burn 1400-2100. Yes I burn 800-900 in an intense hour workout With my HR at 165.I'm 6' 168lbs 11% body fat. If that isn't correct then how am I dropping body fat % and at least a pound a week while eating 2500 cal?
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I set myself to sedentary. The only walks I do not count are in between my classes and anything around campus.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Highly doubtful.

Well my Polar FT7 average HR during my 90-130min runs is 154 and shows that I burn 1400-2100. Yes I burn 800-900 in an intense hour workout With my HR at 165.I'm 6' 168lbs 11% body fat. If that isn't correct then how am I dropping body fat % and at least a pound a week while eating 2500 cal?

Said another way...

"Because HRM and I"m making progress."

You're making progress because you're burning more than your consume. If you consistently lose a pound per week, then you're burning about 3500 calories more per week than you consume. That doesn't necessarily mean you're burning 1400 calories in 90 minutes of exercise though. More likely, your BMR is higher than you think.

...but hey, maybe you are. In any distribution, there will be outliers.

And I'm not saying you should change what you're doing. This is yet another case of, "take a consistent approach to what you log and how you log it and make adjustments based on the results." (I'm simply questioning the objective quantification of your calorie burn from exercise.)
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I wear a fitbit, so any walking I do is taken into account. Typical day to day stuff I probably wouldn't log but if you are spending more time walking than typical for you I would say it isn't cheating.
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I prefer to keep my profile set to sedentary and log everything. I don't get out every day, so it seems more like cheating to call myself lightly active. My advice would be log the exercise, because it's nice to know how much you're doing, even if it IS "only" walking, but don't eat back all the calories. Half at most. Or don't eat them back at all - it's unlikely that an hour of strolling round the mall would create an unhealthy deficit.

Now if you're regularly doing a lot of walking, that should be logged. Before logging my walking, I considered myself an idle person...after I started logging I found out I was walking (not just around the house, but actually walking to get places) 2-3 hours a day, often more like 4 hours. (Oh, the joys of public transport!)