Gained 3 Pounds in a WEEK, how?????

Options
How can one gain 3 pounds in one week? I've not been eating great, but still that's a lot to put on in just a week...any ideas?

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Water weight. It'll come off.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I can gain 3 pounds in an hour if i eat something really salty and drink a couple sodas. In other words it is probably sodium. each pound represents aprox 3500 calories OVER your TDEE. You MFP numbers are already at a deficit so you would have to eat roughly 4000 calories over for three days or an extra 12000 calories over for the week to gain 3 pounds. I doubt you did that. Drink a bunch of water and flush out your system for a few days and you will be fine.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    I've gained 9 pounds in a week on vacation lol, it's totally totally possible. I mean yes, partly water weight, but still, nothing strange there just calorie surplus and sodium probably.
  • kittymari
    kittymari Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    so possible. Been there, done that. Tomorrow a new day, start fresh!!
  • myralou88
    myralou88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Water weight girl. Just get on track & give it a couple days.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I can gain 3 pounds in an hour if i eat something really salty and drink a couple sodas. In other words it is probably sodium. each pound represents aprox 3500 calories OVER your TDEE. You MFP numbers are already at a deficit so you would have to eat roughly 4000 calories over for three days or an extra 12000 calories over for the week to gain 3 pounds. I doubt you did that. Drink a bunch of water and flush out your system for a few days and you will be fine.
    Yep. I've gained 5lbs overnight, for no reason other than a bit too much sodium. :angry: And I like salt too much to cut back.:sad:
    It goes away, but it makes your weight jump up and down like crazy.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    it takes an EXTRA 3,500 calories to gain a pound of fat. So unless you went over by a whopping 10,500 calories this week, it is physically and thermodynamically impossible for it to be fat gains. Relax. Women are designed to fluctuate their weight. It's normal.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be the pain in the neck here: I don't think you're getting enough vegetables. Make yourself a coleslaw every night to eat in front of the telly.

You're not pushing it all through. I'd say you've got at least a pound of food in your gut somewhere, Probably more.

The slower it goes through you, the more of it you'll absorb. The processed foods will have heaps of sodium and you'll be retaining water, and quite possibly you're craving all that junk because you have pms which adds up to your last pound.

:D Try to make sure you eat lots of veges. :) They're really useful.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I do celery sticks now when I am wanting to eat something. I had a terrible issue of wanting to eat when I was bored. And that was a lot of the time. Thus the mess I am in right now. Fruits and Veggies are king in my world now, much better than the junk food and Diet Pepsi I was doing before.

Don't worry about the weight .. on my first week of trying to lose weight, I gained weight. I was sad, but I pushed on and I made some progress.

I am sure that you will get there. Good luck.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I gained three pounds in 36 hours in Vegas

alcohol, buffet, fast food

and

water weight

it will come back off
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    If you're pre-menopausal, 3 pounds can happen as a result of hormonal fluctuations.

Thought I'd throw that in with all the sodium/undigested food/glycogen explanations that already came up.

Vegetables are your friends here. Don't forget, you need 5 a day, and potatoes/beans/corn only count as 1 serving per day, no matter how many you actually eat. Eat the rainbow!