5'4 ladies and calories

Options
13»

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" (rounded up from 5' 4.5" LOL).

I currently weigh 131 pounds, down from 191 pounds a few years back.

My calorie goal is 1800 daily, but I eat less than that when I don't exercise (about 1500-1600 or so on non-exercise days). I never eat less than 1500 if I can help it.

Back when I was eating less than 1500 calories a day, I was cranky and losing waaaay too slow.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and fluctuate between 169-172 lbs. I lift weights for an hour 3x per week, do cardio 2x per week and eat anywhere from 1600-2000 calories. My goal is about 1700-1800. I eat my TDEE -10% or -20%. Sometimes I eat my TDEE. Slow and steady and lifting weights works for me.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and need to lose another 15 to 20 lbs. I use MFP calculations and eat back 70% of my exercise calories (this gives me a little wiggle room for inevitable underestimates). I aim for netting 1240 a day but go over most days. I probably average netting 1350 a day. It's going REALLY slowly now. At best half a pound a week.
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500 calories on off days and between 1600-1800 a day on exercise days (3x's per week). I just completed C25K and am steadily losing weight. After my run I usually head to the gym for heavy weight training for about 30 minutes.

I should also mention that my diet is mostly raw vegan. The only cooked foods I eat are eggs and black beans (protein/iron).
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and have MFP set to 1500 but I shoot for 1700-1800/day - those eating 1200 calories can not tell me they are NOT hungry!
  • msjackie30
    msjackie30 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and have MFP set to 1500 but I shoot for 1700-1800/day - those eating 1200 calories can not tell me they are NOT hungry!
    Yea!! 1200 is.no.joke, I've done it.before and was hungry always because I was not eating enough I always felt weak too, NEVER AGAIN
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Yea!! 1200 is.no.joke, I've done it.before and was hungry always because I was not eating enough I always felt weak too, NEVER AGAIN

I did it too - followed MFP guided goals and yes, lost the weight, BUT - I also lost my hair and my nails were brittle and cracking and I was hungry all the time. When I started eating 'normal' again (around maintenance) I gained back #20 in about 6 months.
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a shorty clocking in at somewhere between 5'1 and 5'1
    and I eat b/w 1600 and 1800 cals on days that I work out.
    Less on others of course.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It has been interesting to read the posts on this thread. I am 5'4" and weigh 153 - down from 234 13 months ago. I eat between 1200-1400 a day. I don't really exercise on a regular basis, but am an elementary music teacher so am always walking, dancing, or moving during the day. I am now losing approx. a pound a week and am 9 lbs from my original goal. I can't say I'm hungry eating 1200. I make sure to eat a couple servings of raw veggies at a meal, as well as fresh fruit. And don't cut fat (healthy fat) from your diet - fat helps you feel satisfied and keeps you from getting hungry too fast after a meal. The other thing I have found is that I stay away from 'junk food' and processed carbs. I found that when I was eating the 'junk food', even in limited quantities I was really getting hungry and craving more carbs. By the way I'm 56 years old. It was easy to lose in my 20s and 30s, but so much harder over 50.
  • Pageme16
    Pageme16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your AGE makes a huge difference - as well as the weight you are now. I am 58 years old, 5'4" and between 130-135. In order to lose weight I must stick to 1200 calories. I need to exercise, too, to increase my metabolism. This is crucial! As long as I'm getting regular exercise, I can eat back most of my exercise calories. I can NEVER eat more than my base calories plus exercise calories. I am realizing that when I stabilize below 130 pounds - my goal - I will have to continue to keep my calories low and my exercise up in order to just maintain. This is what it takes for small women as we age.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of exercise and eat upwards of 2000 calories a day. I'm 5"4, my starting weight was 105.9kgs / 233lbs in July last year and I now weigh 86.6kgs / 188.7lbs, so I've lost 20kgs / 44lbs at a sustainable pace. If you want to eat more, have a look at the Eat More To Weigh Less group http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less and also In Place of a Road Map http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7965-in-place-of-a-road-map. I started out at eating my BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and when I realised I wasn't eating enough food, upped my calories using those guides. I usually eat at TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) -20%.

Try this http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Renee81170
    Renee81170 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and started out at 188. Ive been logging into mfp for 310 days! :) yeah! I started out trying to stick with 1200 calories and in one month I lost 10lbs. The following month I got a fitbit and tried to get 10,000 steps per day and I added more calories according to the tdee calculator at 20% less. I've lost 40lbs. :) I do eat back my exercise calories.
  • Pageme16
    Pageme16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I SO agree with everything you say here! I have a sedentary life-style - thus my absolute need for exercise. In contrast to your more active days. And I also don't eat processed foods. My diet focuses on fresh food prepared at home almost exclusively. When I eat "store bought" food it is carefully selected for nutrition to calorie value. I am careful about fats, but I definitely include olive oil, whole grains, nuts and seeds in my daily food intake - all healthy fats. I also get small amounts of animal fats: 1 Tbsp of half & half in my coffee each morning (little pleasures are important), and occasional dairy, poultry, fish or meat. I am not hungry eating 1200 calories per day.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I SO agree with everything you say here! I have a sedentary life-style - thus my absolute need for exercise. In contrast to your more active days. And I also don't eat processed foods. My diet focuses on fresh food prepared at home almost exclusively. When I eat "store bought" food it is carefully selected for nutrition to calorie value. I am careful about fats, but I definitely include olive oil, whole grains, nuts and seeds in my daily food intake - all healthy fats. I also get small amounts of animal fats: 1 Tbsp of half & half in my coffee each morning (little pleasures are important), and occasional dairy, poultry, fish or meat. I am not hungry eating 1200 calories per day.

Your body composition makes a difference as well. I am your height and weight, but there is no way my body could support my muscles on 1200 calories a day. I would imagine the type of exercise you do makes a difference as well. I don't need a lot of fuel if all I'm doing is cardio, but when I lift I get ravenous!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and weigh around 147 lbs. I eat around 1700 on average, little more on days i exercise. I workout around 4 days a week. I lose anywhere between 0.5-1 lb per week
  • constantheadache
    Options
    hahah. i'm sick and f'cked so under 100 calories every day for me.
    it makes me so happy to read about all of these people, though, who are normal and healthy and happy. when i get too bummed out i find refuge in hope in you all, knowing that one day i'll be able to be like you again.
  • teachermegan
    teachermegan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3.5
    SW: 195
    CW: 165

Calories: 1250-1400 - if I'm hungry, I eat some of my exercise calories back or if I'm low on protein. Otherwise, I don't eat them back.

Activity: 3-4 hours of cardio per week, 3-4 strength training sessions per week.

Strength training is probably what has helped the most.