Should I eat more after donating blood

Options
So, I don't have any pt logged today (though I've been up and down more than normal, I'm not logging it) and I donated blood around lunch. I have about 300 cals left to fit dinner in (not to hard) but i'm starving now and want a snack. Will it be terrible to go over my calories today? The brownie they gave me at the blood drive was brutal to my cal counts, but so tasty lol.

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    You should eat before. Protien and complex carb. Like apple with string cheese ect. I use to give plasma 2 times a week and would make sure I ate something before. If your starving your probably not getting enough caloriess. You should not be starving while trying to loose weight
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I researched this once, and found that you burn about 600 calories over about 3 days rebuilding your blood. So, yes, you can go over a little, and drink another glass of water while you are at it! :smile:
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    Yeah, it hurts your calorie counts, but your body needs those calories to help replenish the blood that you lost. I wouldn't worry about your calories for today, get lots of sleep tonight, and get back on the wagon tomorrow.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Awesome, Thank you all for your help. I'm not usually this hungry when I'm so close to my cals... Makes sense.
  • msstephaniejoy
    Options
    Coincidentally, I just finished donating blood too! And they tell you to eat a hearty meal after you do that. I'm going to toss my calorie count for today to replenish myself...but that doesn't mean I'm looking to eat a ton of fast food!
  • CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I just looked at your food log and I would say that you could eat up to 1400 cals for the day. Your body need to rebuild blood and since you are already only consuming the minimum that is healthy for a human, I would suggest a couple hundred more cals would be fine. Have a good dinner :)

IF you are looking to get more out of your meals, cut out the better tasting stuff like the brownie and the Via. That is 200 less cals already and they are simple carbs. I drink regular coffee with splenda and a little creamer, only 10 cals :) I hope this all helped, and great job donating blood, I am actually now over 1.5 gallons donated! :)

Mark
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I would say eat a little before and definitely have a snack afterwards. Your pic is very pretty BTW! :)
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Thank ya'll. Lisa1971 thank you, that was in the car on the way to my wedding :happy:
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Oh cool!!! :)
  • fixmylife
    Options
    I gave blood at 1:00 and then worked out at 4:00 the other day and I was ok with just water but by dinner I was so hungry and my head hurt so bad that I went over on so that my iron levels were not to low and believe it or not after my second helping of meatloaf I felt soo much better. btw I only went over by 10 cals lol