Wake up hungry, sometimes early

Options
I intentionally save 700-1200 of my 2200-2800 calories for the last 4 hours of the day that I am awake because if I try to go to bed hungry I am most likely to binge. Even doing this I find I'm waking up starving, sometimes after 4-5 hours of sleep, and sometimes after a full nights sleep. The first thing I feel the need to do is eat a few hundred calories. I have moderate sleep apnea which is probably what is waking me up early, but the hunger makes it hard to get back to sleep.

Last night was a prime example. I ate 700 calories of baked beans, 3 oranges, and 2 yogurts within 3 hours of bed and I when I woke up I'm REALLY hungry. What gives?

Replies

• Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I used to do that until I started drinking a glass of milk before bed. other than that I have no suggestions.
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    I would suggest drinking plenty of water. I see you don't track that in your diary so can't say for sure if it will help, but a lot of times when we think we really aren't and a glass or two of water will fill you up. This also can send signals to your brain saying your stomach is full and ease any "hunger pains".
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Protein keeps you sated longest, so you might need to eat more of that before you go to bed and have the oranges another time.
  • x1v16
    x1v16 Posts: 66
    Options
    I guess I will try to fluids thing, though I don't want to wake up having to pee so I will just try a glass of water before bed OR/AND a glass of water if I wake up from sleeping.
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    wake up and drink water first.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Having a look at your diary there are ways to get much bigger (physically) for the calories dinners than you're doing.

You can have a huuuge stirfry. You can have baked potatoes, steaks... I do a roast vege mix in the oven whenever i want a massive scoff, done with potatoes cut into chunky chips, new zealand yams (little finger sized things) beetroot, capsicum, kumara, parsnips... did you know you can roast a ton of parsnip for almost no calories?

I say this because to my eye you're relying on a heck of a lot of stodge, or small things. Those yoghurts at 50cals. Why are they only 50 cals? what have they taken out of it to bring it down from 120?

sometimes it's more efficient to have the real thing, the natural thing. I think your body processes it differently.

/kooky rant.

In closing: I know that if I wake early I will go through major hunger pangs around 4:30 or 5:00am. Most of the time this will not wake me. I only ever notice it if I am already awake.

don't be afraid of a grumbly tummy. If you keep your eyes shut your stomach will rumble and then the hungry feeling will disappear. ;) that's what I do anyway. :D
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I intentionally save 700-1200 of my 2200-2800 calories for the last 4 hours of the day that I am awake because if I try to go to bed hungry I am most likely to binge. Even doing this I find I'm waking up starving, sometimes after 4-5 hours of sleep, and sometimes after a full nights sleep. The first thing I feel the need to do is eat a few hundred calories. I have moderate sleep apnea which is probably what is waking me up early, but the hunger makes it hard to get back to sleep.

Last night was a prime example. I ate 700 calories of baked beans, 3 oranges, and 2 yogurts within 3 hours of bed and I when I woke up I'm REALLY hungry. What gives?

Apart from the sleep apnea I have this problem too, and it's really annoying! :mad:

I have tried eating near to bedtime, not eating near to bedtime, drinking lots of water, cutting back on water. I've tried eating more protein as my last meal of the day.

I'm unclear as to cause of this problem, but sometimes I sleep fine and cannot define any clear reason why there should be a difference.

What I have read and should try is to take some fats before bed like coconut oil. Possibly the feeling of fullness can carry one through the night.

It will be interesting to see if anyone has a more concrete solution!