New here

Options
Just now starting to get serious about getting healthy. First goal is to pay attention to and be more aware of what I eat, how much I consume, and making healthier choices. I'm keeping a journal and counting every calorie I consume. Have also started doing some light exercises (Biggest Loser Wii game) and need that kind of structure. I have a lot of weight to lose and am trying to make this a lifestyle change, not just a diet. So, I'm trying to figure out what is a reasonable calorie intake to start losing weight. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am glad you came here, it is a fantastic site! I would suggest starting at 2000 calories. After that for a week cut it down to 1800 and then after a week cut it down to 1600. From there, take a look at where you are at and decide what you want to do. Never ever ever get down to 1200 cals. I would suggest nothing less than 1400 calories. The human body needs 1200 cals a day minimum before going into starvation mode. !400 calories is a great number to get down to. You do not have to do it week by week but I think it works well to "pyramid" the calories so your body gets used to it little by little.

Every 3600 fewer calories you eat is a lb lost. So, you can easily lose 3-5 lbs in the first two weeks. Then right when your body is getting used to it, you drop calories. I also suggest taking walks for 30 minutes a day if possible. You will watch the lb run away from your healthy body :) Good luck and message me if you have any questions :)

Mark
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mark, that's a great help to start.
  • nhanson62493
    Options
    i have that wii game absolutely shattered after i had been on it.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mark. Start at 2000 and stay with that for a bit, maybe 1 to 2 weeks. Then little by little start cutting down the calorie intake and increase the exercise. Don't go nuts the first few times especially if you are not used to it. OWIE city. Been there, done that!! Log your food faithfully everyday. Even the small things we don't think about. Coffee was mine. I drink it black with equal. There are calories, granted not many, but a calorie is a calorie. Wanna talk? Feel free to add me as a friend. I started out at 300+ Still have about 40 to lose. Please remember it does not happen overnight or even in a year. Keep focused. If you trip a little....get up, brush off and go on!!!