Eating 1200 Calories a day is hard!

Options
2»

Replies

• 27toheaven
    Options
    I'd find it incredibly hard to eat 1200 calories for the exact opposite reasons.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to eat back the 1200 calories I "burn" from pumping breast milk every day.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I ate almost 1200 calories by lunch time. :laugh: You can have a look through my diary if you'd like. That's 71g protein, 121g carbs and 45g fat. If I added some veggies I'd fulfill my fiber needs and get to 1200.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I guess if you're afraid of food, then it would be hard.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    I guess if you're afraid of food, then it would be hard.
    DING DING DING DING hit the nail on the head my friend
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I try to eat the right number of calories a day but in order to get there I would be eating too much fat and sugars, I don't know what to do? Any advice?

How is it hard? I can easily eat way over 1,200. Find foods that you like that are higher in calories & go from there.
  • Frittycat
    Frittycat Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, different people require different amounts of calories. I know it sounds crazy, but I only need 800 calories a day if I am mostly sedentary. I even had a test done at a medical place. I am a small person and I have indeed found that 800 is my sweet spot. If I eat more than that, I maintain. I am so envious of folks who can eat 17000 and up and not put on weight!
  • Tropicalfirestorm
    Options
    you can hide the "sugar" counter. I don't pay attention to it. I eat two fruits, and I'm over my limit.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yes, different people require different amounts of calories. I know it sounds crazy, but I only need 800 calories a day if I am mostly sedentary. I even had a test done at a medical place. I am a small person and I have indeed found that 800 is my sweet spot. If I eat more than that, I maintain. I am so envious of folks who can eat 17000 and up and not put on weight!

No one can eat 17,000 calories and not put on weight.
  • mkphotogirl
    mkphotogirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    most days it's pretty hard for me to hit my calorie goal, also. and some days, it's super easy to go way way over. track your weekly over/under and try to hit your goals when averaged out. add some avocado, peanut butter, almonds, hemp hearts, etc to boost your calories when you need them.
  • ctatchuan
    Options
    Not everybody is designed to consume 1,200 calories a day, the one size fits all mentality is really baffling to me

For example a construction worker would require a lot more calories a day versus a white collar sitting in the office type worker, similarly someone who exercises regular/trying to build mass would require a lot more than 1,200 versus someone who has a fairly sedentary lifestyle

You would not expect them all to be on 1,200 calories/day would you?

I myself regularly consume 1,700 - 1,900 calories a day and have now over the span of 3 months lost 5+ kgs and kept it off => I would probably die to exhaustion from the personal training sessions if I were made to eat 1,200 calories a day lol
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You *need* fats and sugars. I'm unsure why you're trying to avoid them desperately. Fat doesn't make you fat, over eating makes you fat.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options

17k is a bit much but 12k is doable...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/08/14/michael-phelps-12000-calorie-day-diet-not-for-everyone/
  • alexomahony71
    alexomahony71 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

17k is a bit much but 12k is doable...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/08/14/michael-phelps-12000-calorie-day-diet-not-for-everyone/
    You just referenced Fox News!!!!! I understood that was just a comedy channel made up for the Simpsons and the Daily Show.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    First, let me say, congratulations at 87 for thinking about your health and wanting to make positive changes. I also commend you for getting on the internet, finding this place and posting! I know my Mom at 87 could have NEVER done that. I think it is fantastic.

Second, let me apologize for some of the responses you got. People here are not always very kind or understanding and their messages can sound harsh, or rude, at best. Ignore it. What you will get, is a lot of good advice.

If I understood your question, you are worried how to eat 1200 calories a day. That to do that, you would need to eat sugar and fat. There are two ways to address that - keep eating sugar and fat which is fine, if you can stay within your calories and not go over, or if you don't want to do that, you can certainly add more healthy fats - nuts, peanut butter, avocados, coconut oil, etc to your diet. A few calorie dense items should get you to 1200 easily.

Good luck and again, congrats! I think you are awesome.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I try to eat the right number of calories a day but in order to get there I would be eating too much fat and sugars, I don't know what to do? Any advice?

As someone currently going to college studying dietetics, I understand that as we age we do not always require the same amount of calories. Some people do eat a lot less.

First of all, have you been to your physician lately just to make sure you have no major medical concerns to be worried about? The main thing I would recommend is to have your calcium levels checked as you are female and want to stay on top of keeping osteoporosis at bay. I would recommend a workout of 3x a week of light weight training, even if just using 5lb weights.

Make sure you are eating breakfast, even if consisting of just toast, eggs and milk, something to get your metabolism going first thing in the morning. Adding in bacon, canadian bacon, ham or sausage for extra protein. A salad in the afternoon with veggies you love topped with grilled chicken. Dinner can be carbs like pasta, rice with meat of your choice, or a burger, etc.