Alcohol

Options
So I am a college senior, and its no surprise that my friends go out frequently. I know drinking is super horrible for a diet, but really don't want to give up my social life on the weekends for my diet. I was wondering if anybody had any little tips for me to kind of make up for drinking a little heavily Friday and Saturday in order to stay on track with my weight loss? Thanks!!:drinker:

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    learn to moderate your intake
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Account for the calories just like you would any other food or drink.

Avoid sugary mixed drinks, learn to drink dry wines and/or straight spirits (or spirits with low/no calorie mixers). More alcohol for your caloric buck. But at the end of the day it has to fit your calories like anything else.
  • houselightner
    houselightner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just a few ideas:
    * alternate drinks with water
    * double your work outs on the days you plan to drink, but again... hydrate hydrate hydrate and take your multivitamins/emergen-c
    * go for the lower cal beers like Michelob Ultra Light, Miller 64, and Skinny Girl beverages (admittedly, not as tasty...)

And another couple of suggestions, which you might have already considered:
    * sometimes it's pretty hilarious to be the only sober one in the group. if you have parties at home, you can volunteer to be the bartender and everyone will love you for it.
    * similarly, you'd be doing a great service as the designated driver at least once a week...
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I drink spirits with coke zero, so pretty low cal compared to other drinks. nips are a standard size so easy to work out your cals. I dont drink at pubs or clubs, so I pour my own. I have a little measuring cup so I can measure and record each drink as I pour it. And if I'm too drunk to measure properly I'm too drunk to keep drinking and I go to bed haha.
  • alexomahony71
    alexomahony71 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Pint of Guinness, pint of water, pint of Guinness, Pint of water, pint of Guinness, pint of water, pnt of gines, pin of water, prit of guines, pnt ot warder, p of gnss, TAXI. Gym in the morning
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Account for the calories just like you would any other food or drink.

Avoid sugary mixed drinks, learn to drink dry wines and/or straight spirits (or spirits with low/no calorie mixers). More alcohol for your caloric buck. But at the end of the day it has to fit your calories like anything else.
    This. Count the calories, stick to your overall goals. It's really that simple.

Oh, and stick to your overall goals means keep your long term goal in mind. If you want to stick to just one drink very time you go out, fine, but if you want to hit the gym a little harder one week to get an extra drink or two, or just totally go crazy and get hammered once in a blue moon going way over calories, you can.

Just don't get hammered every day. That could cause issues. And also, alcohol consumption in moderation actually has positive health benefits with insulin sensitivity and cholesterol regulation, so that's a bonus also. :drinker:
  • katefitness8
    katefitness8 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When possible my go to drink is raspberry flavored vodka with diet sprite. It's only about 70 calories and tastes like candy lol. However most bars don't carry diet sprite like they carry diet coke. A vodka tonic might be a good back up plan.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    No on the vodka tonic - sorry, but tonic is as sweet as the rest of the mixers...

I drink vodka (citron if they have it) with club soda in a very tall glass with a twist of lemon. If that is not sweet enough for you, ask them to add a small spash of cranberry juice. It is 70-100 calories per drink. And because you order it "tall" it lasts awhile.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    drink like this:
    imxpt.gif
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    learn to moderate your intake

This. When I got serious about really needing to lose weight, I learned that drinking a little heavily on the weekends was no longer an option, to me at least. Cut down on the heavy part of it and maybe drink diet coke in between drinks, if you drink mixed drinks.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    keep your numbers :) stay in your daily intake, drink wine or clean vodka, no sodas or juices, thats all
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Pint of Guinness, pint of water, pint of Guinness, Pint of water, pint of Guinness, pint of water, pnt of gines, pin of water, prit of guines, pnt ot warder, p of gnss, TAXI. Gym in the morning

awwww yeahhhhhh

great answer! :drinker:
  • ihateyoga
    Options
    alcohol has the same amount of calories as fat. Drink moderately.
  • jojo37696
    jojo37696 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do you HAVE to drink alcohol to have a good time with your friends. Think about that.!!!!
  • ItsAnIllusion
    ItsAnIllusion Posts: 63 Member
    Options

This link was really interesting - thanks for posting it.
  • MartiCat70
    MartiCat70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When possible my go to drink is raspberry flavored vodka with diet sprite. It's only about 70 calories and tastes like candy lol. However most bars don't carry diet sprite like they carry diet coke. A vodka tonic might be a good back up plan.

This is very practical advice. Yes, vodka. Usually I call these empty calories, but it's great to hang with friends on the weekend. Have fun and keep track:)
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Exactly as others have said... save calories earlier in the week and the day of. It's alright to go over a little one day so long as you're in an overall deficit for the week. Don't get me wrong, I love me a nice drink now and then but lately it just hasn't been worth it to be hungry all day just to drink later. It's always harder to resist my old stand by indulgent foods once I'm numerous sheets to the wind, and I'm useless the next day, too busy nursing a hangover to go to the gym and the thought of eating a nice big plate of green veggies is enough to send me running to hug the toilet...

But that doesn't always stop me. And it definitely wouldn't have stopped me in my early 20s so I empathize with you..

iifym, then Na Zdrowie :drinker:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    So learn moderation so you can enjoy alcohol your whole life... and btw, being the "designated driver" is fun within itself...you can be the one taking pictures ... I promise.
  • MORECHABLIS
    MORECHABLIS Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Just count wine, beer etc... Like any other food or drink...

I drink regularly (3 glasses wine), with days off in-between and evenings out when I have more... And 3-5 days off every now and then...

Too lose weight and keep it off you have to live your NORMAL lifestyle, you are just curtailing your loves of the things you like, and increase exercise...