just started low carb

Options
Hello everyone!

I've just started on a low carb lifestyle last week. (I dislike the word 'diet' because it sounds temporarily and this food pattern is something I would like to stick with for a long time, preferably forever.)
It's funny how your body reacts to the switch; it feels almost like some sort of detox. After 5 days, I had one moment where I felt really funny. I couldnt really keep my mind focussed on my work and it felt like my head was stuffed with cotton balls.
Now though, I'm fine. Actually, I feel very energetic in the morning and the craving for pasta's and bread are getting less and less.

I try not to exceed 45 g of carbs a day and I'm eating lots of fresh fish and veg to still keep a healthy food pattern.

The weight loss is not my main concern but if I will lose about 4-5 kg, I wouldnt mind.

Are there people here who have been on low carb for a long period of time? Is there anything I should pay extra attention to? Will the craving get less?

I would like to get in touch with more experienced low-carbers (if it's not too much trouble)

Replies

• MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I've just started on a low carb lifestyle last week. (I dislike the word 'diet' because it sounds temporarily and this food pattern is something I would like to stick with for a long time, preferably forever.)
    It's funny how your body reacts to the switch; it feels almost like some sort of detox. After 5 days, I had one moment where I felt really funny. I couldnt really keep my mind focussed on my work and it felt like my head was stuffed with cotton balls.
    Now though, I'm fine. Actually, I feel very energetic in the morning and the craving for pasta's and bread are getting less and less.

I try not to exceed 45 g of carbs a day and I'm eating lots of fresh fish and veg to still keep a healthy food pattern.

The weight loss is not my main concern but if I will lose about 4-5 kg, I wouldnt mind.

Are there people here who have been on low carb for a long period of time? Is there anything I should pay extra attention to? Will the craving get less?

I would like to get in touch with more experienced low-carbers (if it's not too much trouble)

I've been doing LCHF for almost 4 months. I don't have any more cravings for the starchy stuff tho I do want sweets. I eat a couple strawberries or some LC treats that I make to satisfy that craving.

When you're doing low carb, be sure to keep up your fat & protein. They'll give your body fuel to run in the absence of the carbs. Also, keep up your electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium).

I used this calculator to figure out my calories & macros (fat/protein/carbs) -- http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Here's a good support forum for Low Carbers -- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-

And another one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto

HTH! and friend me if you want. :)
  • sallysoldiergirl
    Options
    I struggled with my bowel movements after a while of doing carb free. and my breath started to smell like my digestive tract. I was told by a doctor that I wasn't eating enough fibre to move the waste through my system. if this happens to you but you don't wish to break your carb lifestyle you can buy fibre powder that dissolves in water/juice. not having enough fibre in your diet can also lead to colon cancer!
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Agree with the fibre powder part- and if you take it half hour before your meal it can help you feel full as well.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Oh, me too on the fiber front. I take Magnesium supplement and it works like a charm. 1 two times a day. Cheap and really easy.

I also really like the site Low Carb Friends - TONS on recipes, diets, info, etc. Just about everything you would ever want to know.

Also, to begin with, I would be careful with the fake sugar products. Or at least keep an eye on your progress if you are using them. If you are trying to achieve ketosis, you can always test your urine ( buy a bottle and then cut the strips in half length-wise, they last longer).

Good luck!
  • Sopkopter
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice! I will certainly check out the website for some recipes!

I'll keep you posted!
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am on a low-carb diet as well. I try to eat a lot of spinach and broccoli since they have almost as much fiber as carbs. When I track I ensure I limit 25-30 net carbs daily (carbs-fiber) and I make sure my fiber total is at least 15-20 grams. I really enjoy not counting calories even though I don't end up going over my max usually.

Anybody doing low-carb, feel free to add me. It is always nice to have food diaries to look at when you run out of ideas!
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing a low carb diet? (Just wondering, not hating) I know many people do well on low carb, high fat. Or high protein. I just like to know why :p
  • tndiva13
    tndiva13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I too am new to low carb and in my first week.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lb. 8 years ago on South Beach Diet. I know that "feeling funny" feeling; kind of light-headed, but not really. I don't know that it was dehydration, but drinking water seemed to help.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb...but I still crave. So I give myself Saturday to eat the hamburger buns and the chips if I want them. I noticed that I don't feel so hot after carb loading. I try and keep my carbs under 100g a day (don't forget to subtract your fiber from your carbs to get your NET carbs, it gives you a little bit extra). I find it is harder to hit my calorie goals when I eat low carb, but I can't complain about it, I'm still above 1200. You're going to experience the carb flu (maybe you already have) don't panic, you are going to feel fine in about a week or two. I'm totally going to check out that website that was suggested, I'm getting tired of steamed veggies and chicken breasts lol. The best part of eating LCHF is that you can eat real mayo, and extra virgin olive oil, and all the HEALTHY fats you can handle :) good luck, add me if you need me :bigsmile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to torture myself...I eat about 25-30% carbs each day and have done fine with it and lost weight, and body fat...
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Been doing keto for 2 months now. I know that "poo-brain" feeling all too well! But once you get past that, you have more energy and can think more clearly.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    I prefer not to torture myself...I eat about 25-30% carbs each day and have done fine with it and lost weight, and body fat...

do you spend your entire day trolling for low carb forums...all I have ever seen you spout is your nonsense about how awesome you are because you can eat what ever you want. Good for you, now move along, we're sick of hearing your 2 cents.
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I did low cards for a year about 5 years ago! As soon as I reverted to normal-carb levels I regained half of the weight I lost.
    Is there any reason you are on a low-carb? If you want this to be sustainable you should have a normal carb intake during the day, around 40% or your intake!
  • JacobGaines1985
    Options
    I would suggest visiting Mark Sisson's site, www.marksdailyapple.com

He has a lot of information about paleo/low carb living. Personally I wouldn't suggest staying under 50g carbs every day. If you are active, anything under 150g is golden as long as your eating clean (fruits, non-starchy veggies, nuts). Avoiding grains is the biggest thing, especially those with gluten.

Cycle your days to allow variety (50 g one day, 100g the next, etc). I have been following the Mark's website for some time so I might be able to answer some of the questions you have. Message me if you'd like.
  • ndj1979
    Options

do you spend your entire day trolling for low carb forums...all I have ever seen you spout is your nonsense about how awesome you are because you can eat what ever you want. Good for you, now move along, we're sick of hearing your 2 cents.

its a public forum, so I will comment where I want, when I want....

If it bothers you so much, why bother with a reply..

I am simply saying that carbs are not the devil and you can eat a reasonable amount of them and still maintain low body fat and reach your fitness goals....so again, why torture yourself by almost completely eliminating a certain food group?

Please explain how what I am spouting is nonsense? Carbs are not the devil...unless of course one has an underlying medical condition...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I did low cards for a year about 5 years ago! As soon as I reverted to normal-carb levels I regained half of the weight I lost.
    Is there any reason you are on a low-carb? If you want this to be sustainable you should have a normal carb intake during the day, around 40% or your intake!

40% carb intake is utter nonsense! Why are you on here spouting such ridiculousness? Everyone knows that 40% carb intake leads to increased fat mass, and weight gain...
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options

40% carb intake is utter nonsense! Why are you on here spouting such ridiculousness? Everyone knows that 40% carb intake leads to increased fat mass, and weight gain...

It also leads to increased deliciousness if you do it right.
    omnomnom pizza.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Checkout this site.. peaceloveandlowcarb.com :)
  • lilRicki
    Options
    Checkout this site.. peaceloveandlowcarb.com :)

omg...drooling :love: