Basket case in need of an overhaul- help needed

Options
My name is Dave, and I am a loser.
I have struggled with my weight since My motorcycle accident in 1988. I smashed my leg and was in the hospital for over a month, enduring 5 surgeries and almost 2 years of recovery. Before that, I was in the Marine Corps and very active(I could eat as much as i wanted).
Needless to say, my body did not adjust well, and I gained almost 50 lbs. I have also had a back injury that will raise its ugly head now and again. So I guess I am a basket case in need of an overhaul.

I think I have always looked at food as a "comfort" mechanism, or a reward. I am first and foremost trying to change this mindset. I have lost my extra weight (35-70 lbs.) three times in the past, but it seems to creep back. I need to change this as well. It is a fact that good physical health is the best thing to keep injuries from crippling you.

I am an avid cyclist and have recently discovered the joy of kayaking.This will be the third time on this site- I know that it works. This time I know I need to stay here even after I have lost my extra weight.

All friends are welcome... and needed! You can't have enough good supportive friends, and I promise to be exactly that.

Replies

• samammay
    Options
    Everyone feels lost at some point. Many of us feel like basket cases... but thats life. What is important is the change you make to get away from that. You reward yourself with food? Good... if you deserve it, definitely. I choose to reward my good eating with vodka martinis... and its perfectly ok because even with the rewards I come in under my calories for the day.

MFP doesnt suggest you deny yourself anything... just control yourself. Its possible to eat 10 chips or 1 slice of pizza, or (gulp) one small bowl of ice cream and be happy and fulfilled.

You just gotta want it.

Work food rewards into your diet. You'll be amazed at how motivating that cupcake can be to hit your other goals. :)
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I certainly understand the use of food as a reward/ incentive and a comfort mechanism for sure (i eat when sad, angry, annoyed, depressed etc etc).

I'm in a pathetic state myself at the moment I'm waiting for a surgery on my leg (unrelated to my weight) and I can barely even cycle for 3km on a stationary bike (around 4mins 40 secs for me) without gasping like a fish out of water even before my leg issues got worse.

Essentially I guess what I'm saying is there are a few of us that hate what we see in the mirror and best of luck in shifting the weight and getting to your goal. :happy:
  • BillyOwens
    BillyOwens Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stay motivated, watch what you eat and exercise, you are more than welcome to add me as a friend.
  • Arbelina
    Arbelina Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi Dave,
    sounds pretty brave to me and definitely on the right track - recovering after your accident, coping with work, finding new type of sports. Anyway, I got hooked to your post when I saw the kayak profile picture - so if you want to have a recently-got-kayak-addicted MFP buddy to fight compensating-with-food-issues, feel free to add me :)
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hey. Don't kick yourself when you're down. That's my job! :laugh:

I think the day you can call yourself a loser, is the day you die. Because that's when the game is finished. No such thing as a loser, just a winner who hasn't finished the race yet.

I'm in the same boat as you, except of course that I'm a winner who hasn't hit the red tape yet. I've lost the same kilos I don't know how many times, and I find if you're not careful, they show up with all their mates to get revenge.

Good luck this time. :p Friend add coming your way.
  • Triciad811
    Triciad811 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you are starting to find other things that make you feel happy to fill the spot food used to fill. That is a great step in the right direction. I am still finding new things to fill the comfort food spot. When you use food for comfort it almost feels like someone has taken your security blanket when you stop using food in that way. But no worries the more things you find that make you feel good (other than food) the further down the right track you will get.

Feel free to add me as a support buddy if you like :)