feeling unmotivated :-(

Options
Hi all,

I'm really struggling to stay on track at the moment. I am eating when I'm not hungry, I am eating really unhealthy and high calorie foods, I have no interest in exercise and this is slowly but surely undoing all of my hard work!

I know it's up to me to make this happen, but I'm finding it really hard getting my head in the game.

Does it make sense to let myself off tonight, have whatever I want for tea and then start a fresh tomorrow?

I used to love entering all my food into MFP, but now it feels like a chore. I'm sure, when I get back into it, that I will feel much better. I really don't want to let myself slip any further but somehow this isn't enough to motivate me.

Anyone got some motivation going spare?

Jess xx

Replies

• lauriewhittem
    Options
    Restart now! Do not let the slip up get you down! No one is perfect and we all make mistakes.

Some people have one small splurge a day and some have one day a week is a splurge day .. just try not to over do it!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    We have all been there, and you are certainly not alone! I also felt that logging food in every meal was a chore, especially since I pretty much eat the same things all the time. However...... when I don't do it... I gain weight! Something about seeing how many calories I have left in the day or healthy fiber I need to consume really helps me moderate what I eat! Also, lets me know that I need to do some sort of exercise if I'm close to going over!

The best thing to do when you are discouraged is to just take action, start going forward, and "fake it till you make it". It will also help you if you have a tangible goal with a deadline, such as running or walking a 5K in the next month or two. I find that exercising just to exercise is the easiest way for me to blow it off! But a goal.... now workouts have more meaning!

Good luck and chin up!
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    It is all a mind thing. Trust me, I'm fighting it still. You have to find a comfy balance. If you aren't having fun with the exercise, you won't do it or you get bored. Open your options maybe. I added the gym again two months ago after a year of being on my own. I'm feeling better and it is different than being at home alone....I undone progress but it has helped me realize that weight isn't just a number because I feel more comfortable with myself than before. Add me if you'd like. I am always here to chat if need be. -hugs- Just know you are never alone :)
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    My questions:
    Are you expecting perfection?
    Is it time to change the plan before you quit entirely?

My recommendation:
    Keep logging - push through on that part - it is a proven tool - even IF you don't follow your plan at all. Log it, the good, the bad, the ugly.

Start exercising. I know, easier said than done. It's easy and hard to start. Pick a time when you would be "sitting around." Put on your shoes and whatever you would go walking in. Don't plan to go anywhere or do anything. Just put on your shoes and clothes.
    Then tomorrow, put on your shoes and outfit and go outside - 5 minutes. NO MORE. LOL. Bet you end up doing more.
    Everyday whether you go or not, put on the outfit and go outside.

Look for things that don't feel like exercise - I took up biking - LOVE IT. My bike was $30 at a yardsale. It's not the best, but it's my starter bike. I thought it was a small investment to see if I liked it. Then I loved it. Is there a sport you've liked? Dancing? Think it over - it just needs to be activity. It doesn't have to be preplanned "exercise" in a rigid organization. If you have kids - play tag or other games where you have to move. As soon as you commit to playing with a kid - they won't let it go until you keep your promise. Our dogs keep me walking - like little personal trainers.

I don't yet do strength training, but if I pick up something that feels heavy - I lift it a few times until I fatigue. Like dog food (we buy 40 lb bags usually) or gallon jugs. I lift the jugs over my head a few times or do lifts that work on the "bingo wings." The dog food I just lift from ground, in front of me, over my head and back. Know your own limits and try this. It's not exercise, it's bringing in the dog food. It's not exercise.
  • jesstaylor73
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you've all been very kind and I'm definitely seeing things a bit more positively now! I've not had a great food day, but I'm going to log it anyway and tomorrow will be a new day :-) I'm also going to stick my trainers on and go out for a walk. It really makes a difference to know that I'm not alone!

Jess xx