How do you Avoid junk food cravings?

Options

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I don't make any food 100% off limits, I do eat junk foods occasionally, but I try to avoid responding to cravings because I don't want to get into a pattern of using food as a reward. When I'm craving a specific kind of junk food, I try to imagine eating the food that I'm actually planning on eating later instead, and usually I will start looking forward to that instead.
  • youtalkfunny
    Options
    My weight loss started when a friend recommended a book called "The Body Fat Solution" by Tom Venuto. The first 100 pages or so aren't even about nutrition nor exercise, but psychology and motivation instead. For me, the most important 2-3 pages in the book were about "Psychological Hunger vs Physical Hunger", and I think what he has to say on this subject is the answer to your question. I couldn't possibly give you a reply here nearly as adequate as he could, but very briefly:

Physical hunger comes on gradually, usually a few hours after you've had a meal, and indicates it's almost time for another meal. Psychological hunger comes on instantly.

Physical hunger can be put off an hour or two if now is not a convenient time to eat. Psychological hunger demands attention RIGHT NOW.

Physical hunger can be sated by whatever food you happen to have around. Psychological hunger is usually focused on one specific item--anyone who couldn't resist the Snickers bar calling to them while at the grocery checkout knows what I mean here. Once you recognize that sudden craving as a psychological tick, that's it's not really hunger at all, it becomes much easier to say No to the candy bar.

Eating when you feel physically hungry makes you feel good, feel satisfied. Eating in response to psychological hunger doesn't, it only makes you feel guilty.

There's more, but I don't have my copy of the book handy. Everyone wants to borrow it when they see me rocking my new body and crediting that book as the lynchpin of the turn my life has recently taken--yes, I'm boasting, sorry about that. I don't usually read these forums, but this thread's title popped up on my home page, and I thought I could help with this one.

Oh, btw, besides Venuto's book, the second thing I ascribe my success to is MyFitnessPal!

EDIT TO ADD: I don't want to sound like I disagree with those who say, "Go ahead and have it, if you can figure out a way to work it into your calorie budget." I also agree that it's a bad idea to try to swear off candy or ice cream or pizza or anything else for life. It's not a tragedy if go slightly over your daily calorie goal every now and then, as long as those days are few and far between--just go back to crushing and you can erase those teeny, tiny setbacks (again, as long as you're not piling them up!).
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking up recipes to perhaps make a healthy version of what you're craving or perhaps something similar to satisfy the flavors of what you're craving? I find that I really like to make things because it's easier to control portions than buying snacks. I do buy healthier versions of "junk food" snacks as well though because I want this to be a lifestyle change and find that makes the adjustment more feasible for me.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I kept craving burgers so I made my own, with extra lean minced beef and egg white. I stack the burger high with fresh tomato, cucumber and lettuce, add red onion and bell pepper, fried in one cal spray, add 10g of light mature cheddar, finely grated, 10g of burger relish and instead of a bread bap, I then shove the lot between two huge pan cooked flat mushrooms. OMG! Devine!

Add a jacket potato and a good sized salad.....a VERY filling meal for 550 calories.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i got rid of all the junk food in my house (i live with my parents, my dad just recently discovered hes diabetic and we're all on a diet basically), the most unhealthy food i have is probably breakfast cereal or those 100 calorie thinsation packs.. i don't know i find it weird i don't crave junk that often, and if i do i don't have access to so i just eat whatever i have that is sweet like berries or sugary cereal etc. good luck though!
  • youtalkfunny
    Options
    By the way, I have a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich almost every night for dessert. I'm sure that helps keep the cravings for sweets at bay. It's also awesome to see people's reactions. "You eat bacon and eggs every morning, ice cream every night, and you're LOSING weight????"
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Poster who makes her own treats and freezes them. To me that is a great idea. If frozen they have to defrost so it is not so easy to keep going back for seconds or a third , planning is involved with this idea.

Secondly I like the odd treat and homebaked allows me to control the quality and quantity of what is going into my product, eg homemade cookies using oatmeal and whole wheat flour with some honey or a very very much reduced amount of sugar. Substituting unsweetened apple sauce into the recipe. Cutting the amount of sugar called for in a recipe to 1/3 of what is called for works well for me.
  • maundrelle
    maundrelle Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If I get a crazy craving, I just go ahead and have it. Just make up my mind that I'm going to have it, feel good about it, and move on from there.

I haven't felt guilty about "junk food" in ages, I don't even remember the last time. And my diet is healthy, but not 100% clean. I have chocolate, coffee, cake, pizza, whatever I feel like, which isn't all that often. Most of the time I eat salads and vegetable soups, rye bread and plenty of water.

Bottom line: the healthier you eat, the better you will feel about your cravings. Food is to be enjoyed, and so is life. Life is too short to feel guilty about food. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I make it healthier if I can (like someone mentioned burgers, I'll make a low fat turkey burger with whole grains bread and low fat cheese).

Otherwise, I just have some of what I crave (but again... I'll go for a 'healthier' ice cream for example instead of the 300 calories per serving stuff, or a 100 calorie bar of chocolate etc). The key for me is to log it before I eat it, to make sure it's really worth it.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    For me there is no such thing as avoidance when it comes to the cravings. Thankfully they are kept in check most of the week. I have 1 cheat day a week where I go 1000 cal. over my norm and that helps. Then 3 or 4 days later I will get a craving and I usually satisfy it with a peanut butter substitute called PB2. That along with low sodium Ritz Crackers will do it. Before I eat them I drink as much water as I can and as quickly as I can. (without getting sick of course). Then I eat slowly. A friend of mine doesn't wait until the craving gets so bad that she just has to have it. She follows the same routine as me with the water and eats very slowly. If I don't do this I find that once I get the taste of it I just keep going, then I get depressed and say screw it then eat some more. Good luck to you in your journey, it goes without saying; you are awesome.
  • sfrohardt5
    sfrohardt5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it works, but it does (I actually lost 35 lbs doing this and then I allowed myself to gain it all back) -- you can google articles on it if you want. If you are craving sugar and you drink a small 4 oz. glass of Welch's grape juice instead, your cravings are gone. If I drink just a 1/2 cup of Welch's grape juice per day, I don't get any sugar cravings at all.

Here is one article that talks about it but there are many others. I don't find that eating turkey, broccoli or grapes helps me with my sugar cravings but Welch's grape juice does the trick every time:

http://www.becomegorgeous.com/fitness-diet/healthy_diets/healthy_substitutes_for_food_cravings-9793.html
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    As many others have stated, I don't crave any foods because I know I can have them, providing I plan for it and make them fit into my macros/micros/calorie goal. Nor do I believe that any food is truly junk. Some choices are less nutrient dense than others and are harder to fit in. But by NOT giving up food I enjoy, I am able to stick with the program and will be able to maintain this lifestyle even after goal. That's what matters to me.
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    I am wondering what you mean by pretty healthy? My cravings for sugary things have almost completely disappeared since eating healthier. I think it's good to know exactly what it is you crave from the junk food and see if you can find it in healthier foods. For example I eat dates instead of chocolates/candy/cakes. That helps me a lot.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Physical hunger can be put off an hour or two if now is not a convenient time to eat. Psychological hunger demands attention RIGHT NOW.

Physical hunger can be sated by whatever food you happen to have around. Psychological hunger is usually focused on one specific item--anyone who couldn't resist the Snickers bar calling to them while at the grocery checkout knows what I mean here. Once you recognize that sudden craving as a psychological tick, that's it's not really hunger at all, it becomes much easier to say No to the candy bar.

That isn't my experience at all. If I'm physically hungry, I have trouble concentrating on anything else until I eat. A snack will keep me from getting to that point, but if I've actually gotten hungry, I need a meal, with protein, fat, and carbs. A candy bar or an apple won't do. I've learned to bring a lot of food when I'm hiking or climbing, and to make sure that there is more cheese and jerky than dried fruit and crackers.

Which brings me to another point, which is that eating a snack with protein keeps me from getting to the crazy hungry stage, if, for some reason, I can't eat a meal on time. Eating substantial meals that fill me up also helps me prevent all but the occasional craving.
  • zensugi
    Options
    I do not think of 'junk food' but I think of food that I can eat lots and often (e.g. salads, fruit, etc) and other food which I can eat in small portions and infrequently (e.g. french fries, alcohol, etc). Therefore in my diet there are no foods off limits, but there are portions and frequencies.

I have also got fussier about some foods. For example, I'll prepare (from scratch) a gourmet pizza or drink a craft beer rather than, say, Pizza Hut or a cheap beer. That is, I have to thoroughly enjoy high calorie foods; calories have to be worth it.

Another approach I use is that some times I exercise for longer if I want to go for high(er) calorie foods, so I'm creating a calorie deficit and I still end up—most of my time—within my calorie allowance.
  • kaeleij
    Options
    Try increasing your activity level a little more! Try walking for a half hour a day and maybe banging out 10 pushups, even if they are modified pushups. The more active you are, the more you will crave healthy foods instead of the junk!

My solution to the cravings is making banana whips! Freeze bananas, and blend one banana! Its guilt free ice cream! I usually heat up a tablespoon of peanut butter, then put the banana whip on top of that. I LOVE sprinkling it with a few dark chocolate chips and some granola. MMM, hope this helps!!
  • swindsong
    Options
    " If you are craving sugar and you drink a small 4 oz. glass of Welch's grape juice instead, your cravings are gone."
    If you drink this , your sugar craving hasn't gone you're still drinking sugar only it's a bit healthier coming from a fruit.
  • swindsong
    Options
    I don't know I might be wrong but after reading the comments I couldn't stop myself replying. A lot of people stated that they deal with cravings allowing themselves to eat, smaller portions/exercising more/ healthier versions.
    This seems like soothing the symptoms not curing the illness.
    I mean for me it's more important to dig deeper and find out the cause of my cravings and work on solving my issues which makes me think of food when I'm stressed/tired/fed up/feeling unloved etc and trying to create new habits instead of eating.
    If you don't change the foundation you will eventually give in. I saw it a lot of times, I made this mistake too. Women lost incredible amount of weight, maintained it for a year or 2-3, then something major happened or they just thought they could eat that one slice of cake and the flood gate broke. All the hard work had gone down the drain.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don't know I might be wrong but after reading the comments I couldn't stop myself replying. A lot of people stated that they deal with cravings allowing themselves to eat, smaller portions/exercising more/ healthier versions.
    This seems like soothing the symptoms not curing the illness.
    I mean for me it's more important to dig deeper and find out the cause of my cravings and work on solving my issues which makes me think of food when I'm stressed/tired/fed up/feeling unloved etc and trying to create new habits instead of eating.
    If you don't change the foundation you will eventually give in. I saw it a lot of times, I made this mistake too. Women lost incredible amount of weight, maintained it for a year or 2-3, then something major happened or they just thought they could eat that one slice of cake and the flood gate broke. All the hard work had gone down the drain.

I think you have made a valuable point. Stopping and taking stock of what is driving the eating. I remember having a difficult encounter by phone with another individual and found myself in the kitchen eating a peanut butter sandwich. I had an ah ha moment and could see I was soothing myself by eating. Not a good habit to get into. I didn't have other tools to work with back then , but along the way in life I learned a few meditative techniques.

One is called surfing the urge. You can do a google online and look for it on you tube. For me I call it surfing the anxiety, or feeling mad or bad, it is recognizing it is a feeling, taking the time to deal with it , breath it in and breath it out, then letting it go. I no longer have to act on the feeling. The feeling passes . It is a technique not only for dealing with food but difficult people
    It is a short meditative technique originally developed for people to give up habits such as smoking and drinking.

I watched that HBO documentary on the Weight of a Nation this last Friday and saw they are using meditative tools in dealing with eating. People are taking time to smell and breath their food before taking the first bite then taking time to chew on it.
    It allows them to tune into their body and read the bodies signals.

Now that I am typing this I realize I had my breakfast with my mind elsewhere and woofed it down. I think it is time for me to slow and take the time to notice what I am eating.

P.S.
    I recently discovered they are using this technique to deal with stress and the reduction of a stress hormone that causes the body to store belly fat.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1099086-stress-cortisol-belly-fat-mindfulness
  • Amykins2828
    Amykins2828 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Depends on how bad the craving is for me. I eat chocolate every night, because I will end up binge eating if I dont. (Skinny Cow Candy Bar - 130 calories). If its a serious craving (chips, fried food, etc) I usually go ahead and eat it but *try* to remember the 3 bite rule -- That your taste buds only really register the first 3 bites. But I do try to work those calories into my daily allotment!

PS: A spoonfull of frozen cool whip often does the trick for me!
  • Amykins2828
    Amykins2828 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Same for me! Skinny Cow Caramel Candy Bar. I tried the ice cream sandwiches, but I cant seem to stop after just 1. So I stick with the candy bar nightly! :)