Rx for Chantix...should I?

Options
I have been a smoker for 21 years. Like most people who smoke, I have quit from time to time. The longest I have lasted was one year. I know it sounds weird, but I love to smoke. Is it a hassle? YES. Is it expensive? YES. Is it smelly? YES.

Now I NEED to quit. I am scheduled for oral surgery in the fall and they will not perform the surgery if I am still a smoker. My GP prescribed Chantix, but I am unsure about using it. I know I NEED to quit, but I don't really WANT to quit. (And I know all the health implications of smoking...) I am sure that it is a control thing...and the habit is simply a strong part of my life. I have heard the lectures about smoking, the health impacts, the benefits of quitting, etc. And I do indeed believe them. Those things don't change the fact that I enjoy my pack a day habit. I am trying to be brutally honest by saying that. (There's something to be said for honesty, right??!!) With that said, here is what's on my mind...

My fears of going on Chantix and/or quitting smoking...
1. Increased depression
2. Weight gain
3. Becoming easily agitated, initially
4. What to do to replace the habit

Before I choose to fill that prescription for Chantix, I would like to understand a few things based on your experiences.
My questions about Chantix...
1. How long do I take the medication BEFORE my quit date?
2. How long do I need to be on the medication?
3. How bad were the side effects, specifically the depression and gastro (stomach) issues?
4. Will I have ANY success if I don't REALLY want to quit?

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.
Tracy

Replies

• CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I haven't taken it myself, but a few people I work with have. As far as getting them to stop smoking - they all said it was really effective. While most of them didn't have many side effects, one guy had a few seizures. The doctors couldn't find any other cause assumed it was from Chantix. Just the idea of having seizures as the result of taking a medication would be enough to scare me out of taking it. Granted this isn't a typical result, but it is a possibility.
  • iluvwdw
    iluvwdw Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I will tell you my story to see if that helps. I am 41 yrs old. I have smoked since I was 13 except for a 6yr break after my son was born, well not right after but I quit for 6 years!! The last three years I had increased weight gain, among many other health issues. I was having shortness of breath. I was sent for lung testing which revealed asthma and the beginnings of emphysyma!!!

So my dr recommended Champix (that is what it is called in Canada) However, when I spoke to the dr. at work (clinic) they would not recomend it due to the recent discovery of increased suicide risk while taking this drug!!! I said no way. As I huffed and puffed my way through my emphysyma I still did not want to quit, even though I knew I should.

I researched it LOTS and found if you have underlying depression or phyciatric illness this drug may not be for you. You just have to be aware of the risks and the warning signs.

I have never had depression issues so I decided to take it. I picked my quit date during my second week of the starter pack. I had one cigarrette on that date. I continued to smoke a few a day until my 13th day then I quit. I think I slipped up twice after that and only had one drag and put it out.

I had to increase my eating a ton to ward of the nauseaus feeling every time I took it. You are supposed to take it for 12 weeks and wean yourself off. I only took it for 4 weeks and I never went back.

This med makes you feel like you are NOT smoking while taking it. Even while you ARE smoking your body does not get the physiological responses to smoking. It was very odd. I had no cravings to smoke while on this med. Just my mental state of mind. Like habit when I had my coffee thought I should be having a cigarette with it.

Please research it and decide if it for you or not. I did not become agitated at ALL while using this. I initially used gummy bears for the hand to mouth motion, then quickly cut that out!!! I switched to licorice the odd time but sunflower seeds worked best.

I had really bizzare, violent dreams though while on this med~!~

1. You are to keep smoking during the first two weeks and if you are ready pick a quit date during that time frame. If not, just go to the next week. By the third day I was down from 1/2 pack day to two or three per day!!

2. Not sure about the weight gain, I was gaining weight from so many other things, but nothing that I noticed horribly.

3. Not agitated at all, what a blessing. I thought I was going to have a stroke from having nic fits when going cold turkey. This was such a blessing.

4. Like I said above, sunflower seeds.

I have now been quit for 2 1/2 years and am so glad I did it!!!!!

It worked for me and I was not ready to quit even though I had direct orders to quit.

Please speak to your dr indepth before trying this if you have depression. Research it as well to see what others say. GOod luck and let me know how it goes.
  • ashlee2407
    ashlee2407 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I tried Chantix, so I will try to answer your questions the best I can from my own personal experience..

I took Chantix for about a week before quitting-I was told that this would make my withdrawals easier. I was on it a month (I am not sure if it varies from person to person-but one month was my breaking point). The side effects were what made me quit-I had CRAZY dreams, I started "night eating", I gained about 12-15 lbs and I had gas like crazy-ew!!. I didn't so much want to quit, I was just trying to save money and I didn't want yucky yellow teeth..so I tried it.
    I know its different from person to person, so I hope you get a lot of reviews so you can make a good decision. After I got off the chantix, I was so pissed off from what the medication did to me..I just stopped smoking lol. I have been smoke free for only 1 month, but my cravings are LESS without anything than with chantix. My dr. gives out chantix and wellbutrin for smoking cessation..I'm not sure if the wellbutrin would be better (I wouldnt think so, but who knows).
    If I were you I'd try it with an open mind, but I do wish I would have stopped before I did. Good luck!! Its soo tough to quit, but you can do it! :)
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My friend's mother tried it because she shouldn't really be smoking for health reasons. She did not want to quit and didnt even make it past the first week. A co-worker of mine had a laser treatment where they laser behind your ear and I believe the top part of underneathe your lip. She hasn't smoked in over a year. I wish you the best of luck with your journey to quit smoking.
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I did Champix, the Canadian version after smoking 10 years at a pack a day. September 1st will be my first anniversary as a non-smoker. I didn't gain weight from it, I didn't get depressed, and I didn't want to smoke. I DID have heart burn (but that's what TUMS are for!! lol) And really, smoking is slow suicide so taking meds to stop is a positive change, regardless of the risks (in my opinion but I've never dealt with depression so I can't weigh in on that aspect with any knowledge).

Either way, good luck.
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Oh - and to answer your specific concerns:

- My quit date was 14 days after I started taking the meds - I tried to cheat and sneak a smoke a day for another 5 days but didn't really want tit - it was just fear of being without the "I'm a smoker" identification

- I was supposed to take the meds for 12 weeks but only did 7 weeks - the heart burn was pretty bad and I really didn't want to smoke at that point

- when i filled the prescription i didn't want to quit, I wanted to save $$ and have my husband be relieved I no longer smelled of smokes.

- I have had maybe 3 HUGE nic fits since quitting, all during times of crazy stress (exams, studying for provincial certification, and financial stresses) and all after 6-8 months of being smoke -free and during THOSE times I ate like it was going out of style! So, maybe a game plan to react to stress once you have been smoke-free for awhile. . . :-)

kay - that's my two cents!
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I applaud you in your honesty. i was a smoker for 17...no wait...18 years up until about 12 weeks ago. I know where you're coming from as far as the enjoying part. I've quit before, with limited success, and have used Chantix in the past. This last time I quit, I did not, however. My feelings towards smoking changed adn I no longer enjoyed it, has made smoking MUCH easier!
    But back to your question!
    Chantix.

Ahhh...let's see. i've taken it twice in the past, the first time I did alright on it. i took it the prescribed 2 weeks while I still smoked, then stopped smoking. And it was easy as pie. Too easy, I stopped taking the Chantix about 3 weeks later and then started smoking again, you're supposed to take it for a few months after you quit to solidify your quit. As for side effects...insomni, weird dreams when i did fall asleep, but that was about it and fairly mild.
    Fast forward one year. I decide to quit again, and get more Chantix. After one week on it I start having sever panic attacks and issues with a feeling of "unreality". It just seemed like the world was completely fake. this caused more panick, needless to say. I got freaked out and quit taking the medication. Unfortunately for me, panic attacks run in the family and I then developed general anxiety disorder (something I was predisposed to already due to family history). Which it's now been over 18 months and I'm just getting a handle on that in the past couple months.

So... does it work...yes. For most people it's a miracle. but it can have side effects if you have a family history of anxiety (or personal history!) then get strong doctor advice and guidance. And it can have side effects if you have no family history of anxiety, too. Just be careful. Honestly...I would go with Nicorette mini lozenges. they work like a charm and are much safer than a prescription, especially since you'll probably be back at the habit after your surgery since you do admittedly enjoy it.

Chantix was originally prescribed as an anti-depressant, and quitting smoking was a side effect for people on it, so they changed the rules on who to prescribe it to and for what...but it still carries all the same effects...depression, anxity, jitters, gastro-issues, nausea.
    Just saying.

best of luck to you!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I have been a smoker for 21 years. Like most people who smoke, I have quit from time to time. The longest I have lasted was one year. I know it sounds weird, but I love to smoke. Is it a hassle? YES. Is it expensive? YES. Is it smelly? YES.
    I'll add another reason to yours

"Will it kill you?" YES! YES! & YES! My Sisters hubby quit smoking 20 years ago, then 4 years ago he started getting sick, very very sick, all within 2 weeks he had 3 strokes, heart attack, they found a nodule on his lungs, he died within the month.

Please don't do that to you family. My Sister was widowed at 44 years old, it changed all of our lives forever, all of his friends lives, his farmilies lives. But most all his life as he has none now.

I really think ppl have NO CLUE how dangerous smoking is on our bodies. It's taking in chemicals that are not healthy for no reason other than "we like them"????????? We Like to smoke??????? Like to smoke or want to continue living??

Really that IS what it comes down too. So many ppl on this site have quit after making a healthy lifestyle commitment. It's not hard to figure why, there's no healthy reason to keep smoking, really can you think of one?

You like cookies, so you want to eat an entire pkg., even though you know that's not healthy for your body?

When we begin to put more value on our life only THEN will one quit.

It was very painful to watch him go down hill day by day and within 3 weeks he was sooooooooo very very ill.

You're so young, your body hopefully can recover from this if you quit now, some things we think we enjoy we find we really don't once we stop using them to cover up feelings.

I hope you pick health & life for yourself:flowerforyou:
  • DanielM40
    Options
    I was a smoke for over 25 years and I will say to anyone that Chantix's really does worK. What I did was take Chantix for a month and a extra week before I said what my last day was going to be for smoking and that day was on a March 21, 2006, Wednesday at 2:30am and I have not pick up an other Cig, I started the Chantix in February 7 and end smoking March 21st. Also I stayed away from other smoker's too but after that period of time I was fine. Also as to loseing wieght with my Doctor my last blood shows that for my Carbon Dioxide, total was a 21 and the range is 20-32 so I would quit and go for it becuase it is worth it. I did it becuase I did not want to end up like my mother who can't walk 200ft with out being out of Breath .
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I was a smoke for over 25 years and I will say to anyone that Chantix's really does worK. What I did was take Chantix for a month and a extra week before I said what my last day was going to be for smoking and that day was on a March 21, 2006, Wednesday at 2:30am and I have not pick up an other Cig, I started the Chantix in February 7 and end smoking March 21st. Also I stayed away from other smoker's too but after that period of time I was fine. Also as to loseing wieght with my Doctor my last blood shows that for my Carbon Dioxide, total was a 21 and the range is 20-32 so I would quit and go for it becuase it is worth it. I did it becuase I did not want to end up like my mother who can't walk 200ft with out being out of Breath .
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    my Doctor my last blood shows that for my Carbon Dioxide, total was a 21 and the range is 20-32 so I would quit and go for it becuase it is worth it. I did it becuase I did not want to end up like my mother who can't walk 200ft with out being out of Breath .
    Congrats on quitting!! :drinker:
  • kimberly428
    Options
    Obviously this is NOT what the OP was looking for when she posted this, so get off your soap box already.

Tracy, you know I quit cold turkey with only the help of prayers, but it can be done. I know you can do it but reading what the others have said and knowing you, I would say negative to Chantix.
    XOXOXOXO
    I'll add another reason to yours

"Will it kill you?" YES! YES! & YES! My Sisters hubby quit smoking 20 years ago, then 4 years ago he started getting sick, very very sick, all within 2 weeks he had 3 strokes, heart attack, they found a nodule on his lungs, he died within the month.

Please don't do that to you family. My Sister was widowed at 44 years old, it changed all of our lives forever, all of his friends lives, his farmilies lives. But most all his life as he has none now.

I really think ppl have NO CLUE how dangerous smoking is on our bodies. It's taking in chemicals that are not healthy for no reason other than "we like them"????????? We Like to smoke??????? Like to smoke or want to continue living??

Really that IS what it comes down too. So many ppl on this site have quit after making a healthy lifestyle commitment. It's not hard to figure why, there's no healthy reason to keep smoking, really can you think of one?

You like cookies, so you want to eat an entire pkg., even though you know that's not healthy for your body?

When we begin to put more value on our life only THEN will one quit.

It was very painful to watch him go down hill day by day and within 3 weeks he was sooooooooo very very ill.

You're so young, your body hopefully can recover from this if you quit now, some things we think we enjoy we find we really don't once we stop using them to cover up feelings.

I hope you pick health & life for yourself:flowerforyou:
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I smoked fpr 30 years and it made me really sick. I tried everything else with no luck. My doctor gave me a scrip for Chantix, but I, too, was worried about the side effects. It worked for a co-worker, but she didn't like the side effects and went right back to smoking once she went off it. I never filled it.

What worked for me was an electronic cigarette. I've been smoke free for over a year now, and my health is greatly improved. I also enjoyed smoking, and the eCig allows me to have the sensation of smoking without the negative side effects. I don't want to sound like a commercial here, but I know many people who were literally saved by this product. Two caveats: DON'T buy one from a mall kiosk, and DON'T buy one from a radio ad where they offer you a free one. Those are both rip-offs of over-priced products that don't work well at all and taste like crap.

Check out the Joye 510 in your search engine. That's a great starter model, and you can get starter kits online for $50 or less. PM me if you want more info. Good luck!
  • iluvwdw
    Options
    I just want to repeat and stress before taking this med, talk to your doctor again, research it, and get a 2nd or third opinion. Like I said, I know others who have been on this med and it increased depression and increased suicidal tendencies.

Just because it has worked for some doesn't mean it will work for you without negative side effects. I do not know you personally, only you know yourself better than anyone else. Be safe in whatever you decide. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    I may get griped at by some that disagree with me but as you have a right to believe Chantix is a wonderful aid to stop smoking, I also believe it is the sole reason Im where I am today! After being on it for two weeks ( and even starting out with a half dose!) I was rushed to the ER with heart attack like symptoms! Another trip a few days later to ER and I was admitted into the hospital. That was back in April. They determined I have nocturnal anxiety disorder. Basically I wake up from a sound sleep in full panic! Then at times, the effects of this will last all the following day. I just saw a cardiologist last month to make sure and after 5 different tests, it is confirmed my heart is perfectly fine. When the attacks hit, I have racing heart, chest pains, labored breathing, dry mouth, nausea, tingling all over, left arm numb, right eye tics...I couid go on. Meds only help a little and I HATE having to depend on them. Its easy to say breath deeply or focus on something to work your way out of an attack but when it hits from a sound sleep at 3 am, you are too far into it to meditate! I am POSITIVE this is a result of the Chantix! I never had anything like this before but now 6 months after taking it, Im still reeling from the effects! I did stop smoking, thanks to electronic cigarettes. Im doing my best to eat healthy and exercise but Im still left to wonder, will my life ever be "normal" again! In retrospect sometimes I think dying of smoking would be better than living in anxiety mode!
    And just so you know Im not THE only one out there that this has happened to taking Chantix, http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=23523 is pretty mind boggling !
    My suggestion to ANYONE wanting to quit? Avoid Chantix like the plague and try the electronics. They are readily available at most smoke shops now so dont get hooked into some big hype online :)
    Best wishes to you on giving up the nasty habit AND keeping your health/sanity!
  • iluvwdw
    Options
    I may get griped at by some that disagree with me but as you have a right to believe Chantix is a wonderful aid to stop smoking, I also believe it is the sole reason Im where I am today! After being on it for two weeks ( and even starting out with a half dose!) I was rushed to the ER with heart attack like symptoms! Another trip a few days later to ER and I was admitted into the hospital. That was back in April. They determined I have nocturnal anxiety disorder. Basically I wake up from a sound sleep in full panic! Then at times, the effects of this will last all the following day. I just saw a cardiologist last month to make sure and after 5 different tests, it is confirmed my heart is perfectly fine. When the attacks hit, I have racing heart, chest pains, labored breathing, dry mouth, nausea, tingling all over, left arm numb, right eye tics...I couid go on. Meds only help a little and I HATE having to depend on them. Its easy to say breath deeply or focus on something to work your way out of an attack but when it hits from a sound sleep at 3 am, you are too far into it to meditate! I am POSITIVE this is a result of the Chantix! I never had anything like this before but now 6 months after taking it, Im still reeling from the effects! I did stop smoking, thanks to electronic cigarettes. Im doing my best to eat healthy and exercise but Im still left to wonder, will my life ever be "normal" again! In retrospect sometimes I think dying of smoking would be better than living in anxiety mode!
    And just so you know Im not THE only one out there that this has happened to taking Chantix, http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=23523 is pretty mind boggling !
    My suggestion to ANYONE wanting to quit? Avoid Chantix like the plague and try the electronics. They are readily available at most smoke shops now so dont get hooked into some big hype online :)
    Best wishes to you on giving up the nasty habit AND keeping your health/sanity!

I'm sorry this happened to you. It is a terrible thing having to live with anxiety. I have seen many people suffer from it and know it is not a pleasant thing at all!!! I totally believe there are side effects from ALL drugs. Unfortunately, we don't always know until we take it that we will suffer terrible side effects. That is why it is so important to make an informed decision and work closely with your doctor.

I know others have suffered side effects that range from unpleasant to simply horrible and awful and downright life threatening. Most drugs have a long list of possible side effects. That is why I stress completely to work with your doctor and stop the minute you have any side effects. Luckly, I only had some naseau and some weird dreams.