HELP!!!!! .....Losing motivation

Options
hey guys this is my first time blogging or posting so i am kinda new (lol so dont judge) ....but anyways i started off all motivated 3 months ago with working out 5 days a week and being on top of my food intake and i was doing so good i was losing the weight i wanted in the timely manner for a good while and that motivated me a bit more but i seem to be burning out of motivation and i just dont feel that drive anymore and i know myself and this has happened in the past when i loose my motivation i develop this i dont care attitude and i go back to square one ....my workout are getting diminished ...now its down to 3 times a week ....i really need some help and motivation to keep me going because i am afrraid i am not gonna reach my goals and i have to not just to look good but i been developing signs and symptoms of diabetes and i have a strong family history and i wanna keep that off...any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• edrin1123
    Options
    I'll add you! I've been lacking motivation too! I started MFP last year due to major health issues and I've been creeping back up in weight!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I would start with small changes rather than the "all or nothing " type changes. You don't have to work out 5 days a week. Promise yourself to stick with 3 and increase later. Focus on just eating within your calories. Don't make huge changes, just keep tracking. Don't give up!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try just maintaining where you are right now? Just log your food in and your exercise? It's ok if you look and feel great to be you and maintain you.
  • AniXmaL
    Options
    Look in the mirror and yourself ,How bad do you want it?
    Put it this way, If you FAIL you WILL get Diabetes... do you want this?

Join Bodybuilding.com forums and speak with highly motivated women who have already succeeded.
    Watch motivational videos on Youtube.

At the end of the day it's YOUR life do what ever the *kitten* you wanna do!!!
  • GooooHeather
    Options
    When life gets in the way and stresses pile up, I substitute gym stuff with walking the dog and airing out my brain.
    Keep logging your foods and writing your exercise as this is where you get your support and celebrations. I live to hear.... "Good Job."
    Maybe that will help you too.

Thinking of you!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you changed your life too much too fast. If you can't stick with the changes it will never work.

Start off slow. I started with a very meager goal. Log my food and walk (one mile) to work 4 days a week. As I started logging I noticed adjustments I could easily make to my diet that greatly affected my calories and macros.

Walking to work has expanded to 5 days a week and my days off. I have also added any errands within one mile I walk, errands within 5 miles I bike. I live in a very touristy area and I actually get my errands done faster on a bike.

I knew that I would never go to a gym - I have a gym 1/2 mile up the street but it is almost $150 per month - crazy ! I also knew I would never maintain that since I am a homebody.

Don't give up your whole life for a few pounds. Make small changes and when the first one becomes a habit then add another one. If the first one doesn't stick replace it with something else.

Good Luck !
  • aarkulk
    aarkulk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i did start with small changes ...like many months ago i hated working out so i started with just focusing on the diet...like being in my calorie limits then i slowly brought in the work outs from twice a week to three to finally when i was doing 5 times a week and i was at my peak.....like where i wanted to be working out 5 times eating right and i was seeing the results i wanted to but now i am losing all that motivation to stay there and i am afraid i am gonna go back down :(.....i rreally really hate working out but i was feeling so happy that i was so consistent and i was doing it but now i hope i dont end up not working out at all
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If your motivation is simply to lose weight, you'll be freaked out when the scale doesn't cooperate. I suggest, using a tape measure for starters. Then take some photographs. Always keep a photo on the refrigerator door and or bathroom mirror. Then learn how to make lifelong changes instead of dieting. There is lots of help for those that want it.

Or you could do what I did, wait until you are in ICU with heart failure and your kid crying don't die.

Your choice.
  • 4Pookiecat
    4Pookiecat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me, I HAVE to work out everyday. If I don't, if I start to skip workouts, it is too easy to keep skipping them and going back to my old ways. i think because I do work out so much, I monitor my food more because I am working so hard to work out, why waste it? Then along with that, I see results because I am doing everything I am supposed to do.
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For me, its to look at what you accomplished rather than how far you have to go to achieve your goal weight. sometimes it can seem overwhelming, but i see you lost 13 pounds and thats great,. it may not happen as fast as you want, but you know what to do and the results will follow. i have had days where i eat great, walked 25,000 steps and the next day gained 2 1/2 pounds. discouraging, yes but i knew i was doing the right thing and a day or two later, it came off. so just stick with it, have a cheat day once in awhile as a reward, and you will get where you want to be,,,
  • aarkulk
    Options
    For me, I HAVE to work out everyday. If I don't, if I start to skip workouts, it is too easy to keep skipping them and going back to my old ways. i think because I do work out so much, I monitor my food more because I am working so hard to work out, why waste it? Then along with that, I see results because I am doing everything I am supposed to do.

see this was exactly me when i started off highly motivated and stuff i hate when the motivation stops ...and i totally feel u on the skipping workouts stuff thats whats happening this week i was like nah dont feel up to it today tomorrow i will but my tomorrow never came and i am afraid thats it i am going back to my old ways
  • Acaputa
    Acaputa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The feelings you are having are really difficult to deal with and I can relate. I think you should definitely just focus on your calorie goals for now since diet is most important if you want to lose weight. However working out consistently is really satisfying so if you still want to try, I would suggest changing your workouts. Decide to work out for just 5-10 minutes. Set a timer and know that you can stop if you want to or keep going. Try not to have strict goals like minutes exercised or cals burned, for now. You can try walking alone or with someone. And you SHOULD try to do something every day and your new goal an be SOMETHING EVERY DAY FOR SOME AMOUNT OF TIME. You did it before, you can do it again! Keep going :)
  • aarkulk
    Options
    thanks guys for the motivation so far!
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Like stated previously, the key is small, sustainable changes. What has really worked well for me is that on days I really don't feel like working out, I don't dwell on that fact. I don't think about it, I just make myself go and work out because I know that if I skip a workout, I'll really end up regretting it. Also, the post workout highs really motivate me. Working out and eating well go hand in hand for me. When I work out, I naturally want to eat better and when I fuel myself with healthier foods, I'm more primed to work out.

Just keep on pushing. If you give up now, it'll be tougher to start over again.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a week away for the gym. I was working out 4 x a week, intense workouts x9 months before I broke my toe. But the last 2months I had to talk myself into doing the cardio part of the workout after lifting weights. Now I can't wait to get back to the gym again and hit it hard. One week away from the gym won't hurt you. Change it up. Try taking a hike in the woods. A little change in scenery will do you good. You got this!
  • 4Pookiecat
    4Pookiecat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I dont like working out but I make myself. It is now part of my everyday schedule. I dont want to do it but I have to do it. There can be no skipping. It is like feeding the dog, or going to work or whatever, that you HAVE to do. Sucks but that is how it is. If I tell myself anything else, I wont do it. IT IS S NECESSITY for me anyway. That works well. Oh and I also do something like when I do it. I do 60 minutes daily on a stationery bike but I read while I am doing it. I love to read. I tell myself that I can't read a good book unless I do my workout. It is another thing that makes me do it.

Good luck!
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, my motivation comes and goes but I find that logging what I eat really helps. I'm not sure if you're doing that but some days I think that I can't be bothered to log my food - especially if I get caught out without planned food and having to eat what I wouldn't normally eat but then I remember that I've logged for over a hundred days consistently and I'm not going to stop even for one day until I reach my goal. If I go over calories, I want to know by how much. Then it surprises me that things didn't go that bad after all and the day wasn't a failure. If I hadn't been logging (as in past diets) I would have thrown the towel in but knowing exactly where I am with my eating really helps. As for exercising, I need to get my attitude sorted on that one too but whatever I do, I try to make sure that I am moving as much as possible during day to day activities.
  • aarkulk
    Options
    i agree!! thanks guys i already feel a lil inspired lets see how next week plays out hopefully i get back on track!! yea i think i need to just accept that i am gonna be losing motivation many times ....but i gotto get up back again
  • pkul85
    pkul85 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1- Since you've always hated working out, maybe schedule your gym for every other day, instead of every day. I knwo you were doing really well with every day, but sometimes that leads to burn out.
    2- Also, i notice sometimes in your diary, you dont eat dinner.. dont do that ! You need to have a meal to look forward to, so i suggest even if its something- sandwich, salad, something.. do it Dont just do a fluid dinner. Occasionally, we tend to drink our calories ( my java chip and starbucks chai latte obsessions).. made me realize that when i drink my calories, im left not so full and then im sad.

Good luck ! I have kinda lost motivation as well .. esp with studying 10-12 hrs a day i just wanna eat chocolate to release some endorphins ( books dont help with endorphins for me) & since you're studying as well , i feel your pain. So i bought trader joes dark chocolate .. it has 40 cal per piece, has enough natural caffeine to perk me up a bit and bitter sweetness to satisfy me for a bit :)

Eat things you like ( dont eat salad if you dont like it , etc). It will keep you on track.If you drift away for a day , its OKAY. Dont be upset because its a lifestyle change, and we are not going to stay away from things we like, forever. Its all about positive energy. Try and associate your meals and work out with positivity & dont be upset if you drift for a bit..because you're gonna return !
  • merecard
    merecard Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Everyone has days like that. It's a slippery road. A body in motion stays in motion - a still body stays still. (or something like that...) Just decide that you are going to get back at it and start SLOW. Don't cardio yourself out, remember that 1-2 pounds a week is healthy and set realistic goals for yourself. Get a workout buddy! It's always great to have someone that can say - TIME TO GO!! and remember how GREAT you feel after you do a great workout and are all sweaty and feeling great! Hope you find motivation from your pals at MFP!! Good luck!