are pasta intake and counting calories compatible?

Options
Im new in the comunity and I'm considering removing pasta from my diet. Im doing very well since I started counting calories, I have lost 5 pounds in my first week but I have to say its very difficult to incorporate pasta in my diet. For example 2 onz of any pasta is 200 calories. Any ideas or "low calories " pasta types in the market? Thanks.http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/5-spices-that-can-help-you-lose-weight-2392858/

Replies

• megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    There is a no-cal pasta called Miracle Noodle... or called shirataki....

There are also Tofu Noodles... for more info... read this thread...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/124592-i-love-noodles-is-there-an-alternative
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I do wheat pasta and it works out in my pasta dishes to were they equal out to be (with sauce, and meat) around 300 cals per serving.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It's entirely possible--granted, you'll have to make sacrifices elsewhere, like either working out more or eating fewer calories in other meals, but it's possible (I have pasta usually once or twice a week). Obviously, portion control is really important, and it's best to have pasta as more of a "side" than the main dish so you're getting other foods (especially vegetables). If you find it's too difficult, then cut the pasta out for a little while and only have it as a "treat"--rice is also a cheap source of carbs and just as easy to prepare and flavour, with fewer calories, so you could sub in rice every so often.

Congrats on your success!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta pretty regularly too. 200 calories of pasta + some healthy sauce is not too bad for a meal. We usually just top with homemade tomato sauce with mushrooms or sometimes with ground turkey. You can also add in chicken and veggies for a healthy meal! :) No one else in my family will do whole wheat, but I do buy the enriched pasta which I guess is better than just plain white.
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I fix it and cook a bunch of vegetables and throw it all together with some parmesan cheese; yummy. It make for a 300 calorie dinner.
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    I love Ronzoni- Smart Taste - Rotini Pasta, 2 oz. at 180 cals and load up the veggies!!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yes Smart Taste is 170-180 calories, depending on if you get angle hair or spaghetti. Plus it has calcium and fiber in it. I eat pasta all the time and continue to lose weight.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a great alternative to spaghetti pasta!! I LOVE it. I rarely eat pasta anymore... and I don't really miss it.
  • dustbunnie
    Options
    Zucchini noodles!!!
  • jochy55
    Options
    That you all for the help, I really love this website!!!!
  • jochy55
    Options
    FYI I actually found a product called Fiber Gourmet, only 130 calories per 2 uncooked onz of pasta, check this out:
    http://www.fibergourmet.com