Wheelchair bound exercises for weightloss. Suggestions?

Options
I fell 16 months ago and broke my ankle and leg. The ankle was dislocated for 8 days and I had to have surgery to place screws to hold the bones in place to heal. The doctor missed a butterfly break of the fibula and did not plate it. The ankle developed post traumatic arthritis and was bone on bone ankle to foot. Horrible pain. Had another surgeon fuse the ankle 5 months ago. Tons of swelling still and pain. Because of this I am in a wheelchair most of the time. I walk some using a boot. I have gained at least 15 to 20 pounds because of not being able to exercise. I previously walked 5 miles per day and was incorporating some running into those miles. I have also done eliptical, treadmill, bicycling and weight training. I desperately need some suggestions to get this weight off and to lose additional pounds. I don't know that I will ever be able to walk again on a regular basis and and eliptical with a fused ankle does not seem likely. Help!

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    is it possible to join in wheelchair sports like wheelchair basketball where you are?

I would suggest wheelchair rugby as well, although that might not be medically advisable with your ankle injury problems. But it looks like a lot of fun.

Anyway, there are quite a few sports you can play in wheelchairs, plus wheelchair racing, but I suspect that it's a question of having the right facilities locally, and the right kind of wheelchair. If the prognosis looks like you'll be in a wheelchair most of the time for life, it's probably worth investing in the kind of wheelchair you can use for sports.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know folks use adapted Concept 2 Rowers and Ski Ergs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1rcqe3GlrI) for cardio from a wheelchair.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine found some good workouts on youtube........have a look on there.
  • naturenurture
    naturenurture Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The good news is that you can still lose weight through diet alone. I would check with your doctor to make sure that calorie restriction is safe right now, if your body is still healing.

If you can get to a gym, a lot of them have handcycle machines (basically stationary bikes pedaled by hand) which might be a good way for you to get some cardio in. Swimming might also be a good option for you. Since you said you were doing strength training before, why not incorporate some upper body exercises with weights?
  • Grinb
    Grinb Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There is a Youtube series called Revelation Wellness, she has some workout videos to those confined to a chair she has several that are standing workouts as well so just search through and you will find the right ones, Hope it helps! God bless!
  • astange83
    Options
    I've had similiar problems with my foot/ankle as you. Had a surgery 14 yrs ago that didn't stick, wasn't put through PT after 10 weeks on crutches lost a lot of muscle on the ankle and developed arthritis. Severe flat feet with hallux valgus (big toe pushes under second toe.) Luckily my doctor only recommends fusing (then re-aligning the big toe), but I won't do it until I can't take the pain anymore as I was told hills would be difficult afterwards...um where would you like me to live without any hills? Anyway if you have access to an indoor pool its a great way to lose weight and is super low impact on the body, swimming or water aerobics. Also try lifting weights, there are seated weight exercises that you can do. A recumbent exercise bike may be ok on your ankle as long as you don't push it too hard. Currently I'm using a treadmill and marked outdoors walking/jogging paths, and taking NSAIDS if the pain gets too bad.
  • TiffanyTindle
    Options
    Thanks for the fantastic suggestions and resources! I will definitely be looking into those. I have started tracking my calories again so I will see how well that works also. Time to move forward no matter what the long term holds for this ankle! :)
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try an elliptical called wave. It moves the feet out sideways. I have a stiff ankle-not fused but solid through calcium deposit over 25 yeras after reconstructive surgery. Wave is the only elliptical I can use. You could try rowing also using just one leg to give thrust or legs only. Also use seated resistance. machines for rapid sets so getting cardio benefit. These can be used even if you have no legs!! You can also buy home machines that can be used for hand pedalling. Very effective. There's you can do, just let your imagination go wild!
    Rick