eating back exercise calories

Options
Question: Do you eat back your workout calories?
If yes: all or some?
If no: why not?

Replies

• danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    yes, most of them, its important to refuel
  • lp2ca
    lp2ca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do some...sometime more sometimes less...
    early on was taking "credit" for "everything, all steps on pedometer, workout, etc - that actually helped me not feel like i was starving as i initially adjusted eating/exercise habits

after several weeks - decided i was gaming the system too much and eating back most everything i was burning off.

Now only take credit for my morning walk (typ 3 to 4 miles) and other real workouts.

I usually try to "fool myself" a bit and keep myself on track for eating during the day by not putting in earned calories from workouts until the end of the day to offset eaten cals.

In some ways it's all about finding what works for you.... Seems to be working well enough for me. Best to all!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yes. On month to month average (good week, bad week), I'd say all. Reason being I like food - and kind of like exercise, actually.
  • YES! MOST DAYS.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    MFP is DESIGNED with eating them back.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    nope.. i eat the same calories everyday regardless of the amount I burn.. and I usually burn 500-900 daily.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I calculated my TDEE and custom set my calories to by around 85% of that. It already takes exercise into account, so I don't eat the extra. (You can google TDEE calculators and find a variety of them, I did several and looked for a number in the middle).
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I calculated my TDEE and custom set my calories to by around 85% of that. It already takes exercise into account, so I don't eat the extra. (You can google TDEE calculators and find a variety of them, I did several and looked for a number in the middle).

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

for the OP. TDEE Calculator if you choose to go that route.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Sometime.

When and Why? Because I use the TDEE -10% calorie method with my activity level set to "exercises 3-5 hours a week'

I log my exercise all as as ONE calorie with the time spent. When I get to about 4 hours,, I record and eat back about 50-75% of my calories.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Question: Do you eat back your workout calories?
    If yes: all or some?
    If no: why not?
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    No. The "why not?" is because I'm looking to lose fat fairly quickly.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    OP looking back at your diary it is a little hit and miss...sorry :ohwell: I looked back over it :wink:

It seems like you have around 1500 cals a day to eat plus exercise cals...I am just guessing from what I looked at.

If that is so then, I would say eat at least half of your exercise cals back ...As when you have added them they seem to be around 300 ish.

Having said that do what works for you x
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yes. You are to eat them. Your exercise is not figured into the equation with myfitnesspal
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I eat back most of mine. On my volleyball days i have to eat more or i hit a wall (i play for about 3 hours) I need the energy.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat mine back because I don't have them figured into my daily goal.

Yes, usually all of them. But I only count log actual workouts or activity far outside of my day to day norm (like walking an extra 8k steps on a day when we do marathon flea marketing).
  • tallmansix
    Options
    Yes, I eat most of mine back, except the last two days, I have physically struggled to eat them back, resorted to 1000 cals of cheese cake to try to make up the gap.

I'm set to lose 1kg per week and I really don't want to lose any faster than that.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have exercise factored into my calorie goal, so yes.
    However, when I am unable to exercise (like this week), I eat a little less.
  • michelle34152
    michelle34152 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Nope. I figure it's just a bonus and assume calorie counts are off anyway.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat most of mine back, except the last two days, I have physically struggled to eat them back, resorted to 1000 cals of cheese cake to try to make up the gap.

I'm set to lose 1kg per week and I really don't want to lose any faster than that.

1000 calories of cheese c.... Wish I was you :(
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes, but only half. Only because it works for my metabolism. You need to work with it and see what works best for you. Everyone is different and what works for me may not for you. Just trial and error will show you what is best. Good Luck