Why do vegans lose weight?

Options
I never get this. Is it because they eat fewer calories or because of the lack of animal products? I'm reallyyyyyy curious because I just became one, and I wanna know if I can finally stop counting calories. It's getting really annoying! Thanks for any of your helps <333

Replies

• hopeC12
    hopeC12 Posts: 38
    Options
    Probably because of less fat intake and increased fiber intake from vegetables. A lot of fat in the diet comes from meat and dairy products. And fat has a bit more than twice as many calories per gram as carbs and protein. Fiber fills you up without excess calories.

But even vegans & vegetarians can be unhealthy if all they eat is carbs/sugars!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Because most fruits and vegetables have less fat and overall calories than meat and dairy products. Therefore, you can eat more, and actually be taking in fewer calories, unless you overdo it with starchy veggies such as potatoes or fruit, which contains a lot of sugar.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You can be vegan and still eat unhealthy foods and gain weight. gaining and losing weight is all about calories in and out of your body, not whether or not you eat animal products. However, most vegans do watch what they eat and eat "clean" foods. I think you should still count calories if you want to lose weight.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I know a fair few overweight vegetarians (not vegans). Still plenty of unhealthy choices if you are vegan. Also, you should definitely research higher protein vegan sources as all of the vego's I know have very low protein intake.

Chick peas are awesome BTW :)