BIKING IN COOLER TEMPS WITH WEIGHT LOSS

Options
I'm, here over in Houston Tx and I'm so used to biking in 100 degree weather and just bring me loads of water and I can go on and on and on (kinda like that Journey song) LOL. Today the mercury dipped to a nice 65 degree. (a 35 degree drop) I found out that I have issues performing. I was never in this current shape of my life with a 8 months loss of 44 lbs. The lack of insulating fat makes my legs run really cold. At the 15 mile mark, my calves are still cold. Any suggestion to remedy that? OR EXPERIENCE THAT?

Replies

• kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    nope, but I have similar problems.

I suspect the answer is in layering - but there is a science to which you put against your skin versus which is outer layers etc.

I'm in to hear the answers!
  • tallmansix
    Options
    Wow, went out today, it was just 65F or 18C in England and thought it was pleasantly warm and continued to cycle through to nightfall in Lycra shorts and t-shirt without feeling cold, I guess it's what you are used to.

Anyway, never experience it at 65F but certainly when it drops below that. I spend the winter cycling at anything from 10-40F regularly but I cover my legs in those conditions to keep them warm.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Cycling is my thing too here in Southwest Florida. Similar to your climate - but think you get a bit hotter. I know here if it dips into the 60's i am immediately cold. Did you wear a long sleeve or armies? I think i would have to wear that even in the 70's especially if i went from 100 to 65.
    Never had that happen, but it does take me longer to warmup in cool weather - then it feels great.
    Keep going!
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm in Virginia and experiencing something similar with running. Morning temperatures here have been 50s. Luckily for me with the running through, it only takes a few minutes to warm up. Even lounging around the house I feel colder (though we did get a new AC this year, and the GF likes to set the thermostat colder in the summer and warmer in the winter). I think the solution may be a combination of (1) layered clothes as kellyskitties suggests, (2) more intense activity to get the blood flowing, and (3) maybe checking with the doc to see if different vitamins and minerals may be lacking (iron deficiency?)

With biking, maybe consider some lightweight leg tights?
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I've gone from nearly 100% humidity and heat in the low country of SC to 45-50 degree cool dry mornings. I've switched from mid thigh compression and shorts or no sleeves to leggings, short sleeve with a light cycling jacket, or arm warmers. I still wear fingerless gloves and figure I won't need full gloves and long sleeves, and a cap under my helmet until end of Oct.

As long as your legs are feeling cold and not cramping, it's probably changing up to full legs or give yourself a couple of days to adapt. Nice rides!