Marathon Training: Sanity Check Please!

Options
Hey guys - quick sanity check question. :) I'm training for my first marathon. I've run several races already - 3 halfs, 1 almost-olympic tri and 1 olympic tri yesterday. For training for the marathon, I'm running only once a week, one long run - with gym/bike the rest of the week, but no other running. It seems like my knees respond better to just one run a week. Insane, or okay?

Thanks. :)

Replies

• TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....I would say insane....but I WAYYY overtrain so I am not one to talk. I do too much running lol....
  • Hennagrrl
    Options
    Doesn't sound insane to me. Just keep assessing your readiness at regular intervals and be prepared to extend how long it takes to get ready with only 1 day a week for a long run. I'm training for a half, and have already accepted the fact that I'm not going to be ready by Christmas b/c of difficulties getting my long walk in once a week (family obligations, called into work, etc.)... it may take a little longer, but you WILL get there!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on whether you want to race the marathon, or just finish. I've never heard of running only once a week. Biking is good, but its definitely not running. I usually put 50 miles/week on my legs during marathon training. I imagine you could finish a marathon only doing one long run a week, but I don't think it would be a pleasant experience.

How long until the race?
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions guys! :)

I'm just going for finishing. I don't even care if I walk part of it, I just want to finish before the cutoff time. Race is Nov 10. I've done 14.5 miles 2 weeks ago, just did olympic tri, planning 16 miles this week.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I posted in one of the runners groups recently about how I was wondering if I run about 40 miles a week, with a long run going to 20 miles (will run twice) but split up the rest of my mileage during the week to 3-5 miles at a time, no medium-long runs, would I be able to finish a marathon and not have a terrible (painful) experience.

Basically the consensus was that I would be able to finish, but it would be painful. So I'm working on getting my weekly mileage up to 50. I'm not looking to set any speed goals, but I would like to look back on my first marathon fondly, and it seems like for that to happen, I need to run more miles.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like you will have a problem finishing in time since you run long distances already. I think most give you 6hrs to complete. It's like 4.2mph so even if you walk some, you should make it. Good luck.
  • ss_22
    ss_22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd plan to walk a part of your marathon, especially the second half. You need a good 2-3 weeks of recovery time prior to the race day, which leaves you around 5 weeks of training. Usual recommendation is to train and peak at 18 miles if you want to finish on time (road closing time usually 7 hours). But if you want to run the whole thing, you need to train and peak around 20-22 miles x2. Since most training schedule don't rec more than a 10% increase per week on mileage and add in recovery weeks, you are cutting it close. Also, it matters a lot what kind of terrain you train on and the actual elevation of the race course, since most courses have hills build in.

Just for reference, when I trained for LA marathon, I just wanted to finish. So, I trained up to 18 miles, with a pace of 9:30-10min/mile during the training. Ended up have to walk some of it including stretching breaks. Finished a bit over 5hr. And, that was my 3rd/4th full marathon. The last few miles (18-24) are always a *****. Trust me, going from 18 to 26 miles on the race day is a huge jump.

I think you will definitely finish, if you don't care about your time. I suggest start slow, walk everything aid station (usually 1-2 miles apart), stretch, and bring some heavy dosing ibuprofen with you on the race day.

Best of luck, and enjoy your first marathon. The goal, for me, is always to train and finish a race w/o suffer injury, enjoy the experience, so I want to do it again. :p Friend or PM me if you have more questions.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I haven't run a 26.2 yet, working towards my first on 10/12, so I'm not an expert by any means. That being said, honestly, pretty much every training plan I looked at prior to starting training for my 1st full focused not only on a long, but total miles per week as well. Everything I've read is that while the long run is a huge piece of prepping for a 26.2, your aerobic capacity and physical stamina is a culmination of long, intermediate, and recovery runs. Thus far, I've done a long of 20+ and can tell you that the other 3-4 runs per week have helped infinitely on building endurance, performance, and confidence. Just my $.02. Good luck in your training.