Questions about shin splints please.

Options
Hi I am worried about shin splints. What are they? Is it muscle or bone? I am on week 3 of c25k and my shins were sore today. Can u stretch ur shins to prepare for a run? What can I do to mend them? Will it hurt them more to run when they hurt? I run flat footed and am wondering if that is causing them? I try to run on the balls of my feet (I heard that's how I am supposed to run) but I cant seem to do it. That's a lot of weight bouncing on the balls of my feet. Thanks for reading and advice u may have :)

Ginger

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Great post about shin splints here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints

hope it helps!
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    There are also some great video's on YouTube. I can't remember the one's I watched specifically but I remember they were educational and had some good advice!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Cool thx guys!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    This is a store but there is a tab for health/fitness education. It has articles about common running problems, as well as stretches you can do to help.

http://www.runningspot.com/
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints when I first started walking (I was doing a lot of hills and wearing the wrong sneakers). I found an exercise that helped online. And you can do it pretty much anywhere you're sitting.

With your feet flat on the floor, lift the front (toes) of your foot off the floor, pulling it towards your shin as far as you can and hold it for a few seconds. Repeat with the other foot. You can go back and forth like that for as long as you want. You can feel the ache if your shins are already sore, but I do this now during the day at work and I do it at home before I go out for my walk.

Good luck!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I am an overpronator and was having all sorts of trouble with shin splints when I first started C25K. I read that tracing the alphabet with your toes in the air (using ankle movements, not full leg movements) would help relieve the pain, and it did. You can also use kinesio tape to wrap your shins when you run, but that can get both expensive and annoying. Honestly, the best thing I did was go get fitted for a pair of good running shoes. I haven't had any shin issues since getting them, and though I didn't want to invest in expensive shoes for running until I was farther along and knew I would stick with it, I am so glad I went ahead and bought them.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    When my shins start to hurt I know it's time to invest in new shoes. I also write out the alphabet with my toes - I learned that trick back in 7th grade cross country!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thx for the advice guys!!