How fit can you get starting at 46

Options
Hi

My 46th birthday is coming up and I want to get fit. I've been reasonably active in the past but let myself go for the last year. I am starting to get back a little fitness just doing whatever I can, walking, swimming, biking etc. I want to set myself long and short term goals but I have no idea where to pitch the long term one. How fit is it possible to get in your 40s and 50s. Anyone got any motivating stories. I would love to go for a tri but don't know if this would be too much for me ? But running targets alone don't really float my boat as I like variety. Any ideas greatly received. Cheers,

Replies

• DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    46 ??? You are just starting! You can achieve what you put your mind to. At 59 i won the National Senior Time Trials 5K and 10K in cycling! I had never won anything like that before. In the few years leading up to it i won the State several times, but Nationals? Anyway - I did it. I had a goal and started losing weight - and i had 6 months to do it. I lost about 12 lbs - which was enough, but i didn't know about MFP at the time and just put a sticky note on my computer saying "How bad do you want it?" MFP would have made it much simpler and i would have lost more.

But what i am saying - is Do It - Just Do it ! You can - you have half your lifetime left! You are just getting started.... GO!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You can be as fit as you want to be. It's going to feel like harder work than it did when we were 18, but there is no reason you can't be an absolutely prime specimen.

There is plenty of opportunity for Masters level competition in all kinds of sports - pick what you love, and go for it! I did my first triathlon at 47 and am on track to hit my first triathlon podium at 48.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    Barring some sort of major physical problem, you can get as fit as you want.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your inputs. You have just given me the boost I needed :-) Tri here I come. Just need to learn the crawl lol
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    The only limits are the ones you put upon yourself. Go get it.
  • KatiePearson14
    KatiePearson14 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! My dad will be turning 50 this year and he just completed his first Ironman race, and is planning on competing in more next year! I have also been to a couple of triathlons where 70-80 year old men and women were competing. Your body is capable of amazing things!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The only limits are the ones you put upon yourself. Go get it.

Could not have said it better!!!!
    Started lifting at 60 and the low back pain that followed me from my teens is now gone!
    Able to get back into hiking that I drifted away from 10 years ago and am so glad I'm back and stronger than before.

Go - Reach for the stars - You can do it.

The only accommodation I have made for my age is that I may need an extra recovery day after I do the extra wild and crazy! But that is no reason not to try!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    46? You're still a kid!:happy:

I ran my first 5K 5 years ago at 52 (I ran my 5th Army Run today and ran the 5K as a way of celebrating the anniversary) and have since graduated to half-marathons & sprint distance triathlons. I wouldn't describe myself as fast but I'm doing things now that I would have never dreamed possible when I was in my forties......

Be consistent and take a reasonable approach to setting goals (we had a thread recently started by someone who wanted to go from 5K to marathon distances in 14 weeks......a real no no), with the right training and attitude the sky is the limit (barring any serious health issues)
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I turn 46 on the 25th! I have no plans of letting up either....feels like I am just getting started! I just competed in my 2nd Tri this past june.....loved it! Now I just enjoy seeing what else I can do!
  • StuKP
    StuKP Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm 42 and have now lost 48lbs over the last 5 months. From being a sedentary couch-potato I am now exercising every day but mix things up. Myself and my Wife are on the same journey and we swim for a mile every Wednesday evening, Sunday's, Tuesday's and Thursday's we run in a local park (I have just completed 'C25K' and am now concentrating on getting quicker), the remaining days we go to the gym and I do a mix of cv stuff/weights and we both spot each other on a sit-up programme and I've just started doing press-ups (using Runtastic apps)

We realised pretty soon on that you either want to lose weight, or you don't. It is a lifestyle change, but it's most definitely worth it.

If I can do it, you most definitely can!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm 48. I just started running about 2 years ago. By the time this year is over, I will have run: 48 miles the week of my birthday; 3 half marathons; 1 full marathon; a 6 mile turkey trot; and (hopefully) a 50k, all during 2013.

You got this, buddy!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    We are almost the same age(44). I just started running n Feb this year. I was never a runner. I won two 5k this year for my age group. I might add I was walking with a cane two months before I started to run due to a joint disease.

If you set your mind to it & listen to your body. You can accomplish just about anything. Take it slow and let it flow.

PM me if you have any questions...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Let me inspire you: I'm 49 (50 in January) and definitely can out do a lot of 20 year olds today in fitness and strength.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    I'm not quite your age (turn 41 next month), but I am the fittest I have been since I was 17.

You can do anything you set your mind to.

How fit can you get? Just how fit CAN you get?

Now's the time to find out.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I started when I was 46 (I am 48 now) and I am in the best shape of my life. I work out every day, alternating cardio and weight training. I feel better, have more energy and I actually think I look younger than I did before I started exercising. This year I just started running and two weeks ago I ran my first 5k. I am doing another one next month so I am pushing myself harder to do better in that one. I think if you set your mind to it, you can achieve it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I am forty two and doing things I never imagined. picked up a barbell and never looked back.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Hi

My 46th birthday is coming up and I want to get fit. I've been reasonably active in the past but let myself go for the last year. I am starting to get back a little fitness just doing whatever I can, walking, swimming, biking etc. I want to set myself long and short term goals but I have no idea where to pitch the long term one. How fit is it possible to get in your 40s and 50s. Anyone got any motivating stories. I would love to go for a tri but don't know if this would be too much for me ? But running targets alone don't really float my boat as I like variety. Any ideas greatly received. Cheers,

Me on May 2, my 46th birthday was August 30.

xgmqko.jpg

Me today, 3 weeks after my 46th birthday. I still have a long way to go, but it's a start.

288umgn.jpg
  • Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    On 4/30/12 5 months before my 40th birthday I decided I needed to lose weight and get in shape. I was 306lbs and morbidly obese with high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and most likely diabetic. I had been avoiding going to the doctor for many years so I knew my 40th physical wouldn't be pretty. My goal was to lose 40 pounds in 5 months for my 40th. I started exercising using the Jeff Galloway Easy 5k app. His program uses a run/walk/run interval system to get in shape. When I started I was so fearful of having a medical emergency on my run that I would run laps around our local fire dept so in case I needed help I could yell or crawl for help. Thankfully I never had any problems. In the early days I was running 18 minute miles. Over time I improved my times. I ended up losing 100 pounds by my 40th and ran my first 10k on my 40th. After that I moved onto running my first half this past January. This past Labor Day I ran the Disneyland Half. It was almost 16 months to the day from my first day of running. I ended up finishing the half in 1:53:06 and finished in the top 10% of all finishers. Here is a pic of me from a few weeks after I started and a picture of me after my run yesterday. One thing that has helped in my journey is I have taken a picture when I return home after every run or after every trip from the gym. This has allowed me to see the difference when the scale doesn't show any.

9863b621-7145-40db-9979-a5c0f88c27af.jpg