Squat depth Check

Options
What do you folks think? Is this parallel?

squatdepth12inches.png

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yes, but the photo makes it hard to tell if your knees are in line with your toes or over. Even with a bench squat you want to make sure your knees don't go past your toes.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Yes, but the photo makes it hard to tell if your knees are in line with your toes or over. Even with a bench squat you want to make sure your knees don't go past your toes.

I hear that a lot but if my knees don't go in front of my toes, I will fall over backwards.
  • Stage14
    Options
    Then do shallower squats or sumo squats until you build up the ability to do a deeper traditional squats. Don't risk joint health just to try to do more than you're ready to. It will come.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    From what I have heard, as long as your knees are in line with your toes then your knees can go over your toes. Mine definitely do. You can try widening your stance if you want.
  • TheRealBruceWayne
    Options
    It's very close, and for all intents and purposes it's safe to assume that it is.

Also, knee travel is going to occur in a squat and as long you minimize it as much as possible you'll be fine. Also OP was squatting without weight on his back which changes the dynamics. I can barely maintain good form with an empty bar and I'm much better with 405lbs than I am with 135lb because it provides balance and allows you to sit back better.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Knees over toes isn't really an issue unless it's a result of a severe forward pelvic tilt. Depth is good.
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    Found this interesting:

http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/head-shoulders-knees-over-toes/
    The researchers found that restricting the forward excursion of the knees during the squat (not allowing the knees to go over toes) increased anterior lean of the trunk and promoted an increased “internal angle at the knees and ankles.”
    The results showed a 22% decrease in knee torque and a 1070% increase in hip torque! That stress has to go somewhere. Keeping the knees behind the toes definitely reduces the forces on the knee, but those forces were transferred more than tenfold to the hips and lower back. Translation: that’s an ouchie.

image002.jpg

And this:

back-squat-angle-comparison-by-mark-riptoe.bmp

I could never, ever squat and keep my knees over my toes.
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    All of the above is true IF the knees are traveling forward. That's not where you want your knees to go during a squat. The knees need to go OUT. That is why Rippetoe advises people to get down in the bottom squat position, stick their elbows against the inside of their knees, and physically shove them apart in order to learn where their knees should be in the bottom of the squat. This is the same thing that Kelly Starrett teaches except that he talks about it from a perspective of which muscles to engage before beginning the squat to make it happen. Here's a picture of Starrett's squat from the side -- notice his knees are not further forward than his toes but he does not have the extreme torso/pelvic angles mentioned in the above posts:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg158/MDA2008/MDA 2011/IMG_1049b.jpg

Also, OP, depth looks good to me. :o)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    That's no longer a valid concern with squatting. It's fine for the knees to go past the toes based on newer scientific studies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    To the OP, your depth is just fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    your knee>toe advice is, while obviously given with good intention, not accurate

@op, your depth is perfect for low bar (you might find if you try high bar that it feels better to go lower - YMMV)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    All of the above is true IF the knees are traveling forward. That's not where you want your knees to go during a squat. The knees need to go OUT. That is why Rippetoe advises people to get down in the bottom squat position, stick their elbows against the inside of their knees, and physically shove them apart in order to learn where their knees should be in the bottom of the squat. This is the same thing that Kelly Starrett teaches except that he talks about it from a perspective of which muscles to engage before beginning the squat to make it happen. Here's a picture of Starrett's squat from the side -- notice his knees are not further forward than his toes but he does not have the extreme torso/pelvic angles mentioned in the above posts:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg158/MDA2008/MDA 2011/IMG_1049b.jpg

Also, OP, depth looks good to me. :o)

Rippetoe also says that some people just don't have the physiognomy for their knees not to go beyond their toes. Natural movement is the key.

OP, you're form looks great and you're definitely doing something right with those superhero legs - v jealous.
  • Stage14
    Options
    I very much stand corrected. Sorry!
  • tomcornhole
    Options
    OP, you're form looks great and you're definitely doing something right with those superhero legs - v jealous.

Thanks for the kind words but I must be doing something terribly wrong on squats. My 1RM is 225 lbs. My DL 1RM is 390 lbs. I can almost bench more than I can squat.

In case anyone wants to watch the horror that is my squats, I just made this:

http://www.tomhole.com/images/squatform20130922.mov

185x5 is heavy for me. I suck.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Haha I suck worse - 50kg squat is the plan for tomorrow and 65 DL - my OHP is shocking! I can't get past 25kg!! Can't work links from my iPad but I'll be checking out your video tomorrow in the hopes that someone has worse form than me (but I doubt it) :D
  • artxe
    Options

Thanks for the kind words but I must be doing something terribly wrong on squats. My 1RM is 225 lbs. My DL 1RM is 390 lbs. I can almost bench more than I can squat.

In case anyone wants to watch the horror that is my squats, I just made this:

http://www.tomhole.com/images/squatform20130922.mov

185x5 is heavy for me. I suck.

as long as you have no pain when squatting don't worry about it. from the looks of the video it looks like you're doing high bar squats? try low bar anyways good work keep it up
  • artxe
    Options
    Haha I suck worse - 50kg squat is the plan for tomorrow and 65 DL - my OHP is shocking! I can't get past 25kg!! Can't work links from my iPad but I'll be checking out your video tomorrow in the hopes that someone has worse form than me (but I doubt it) :D

OHP is a hard exercises to advance in don't worry