Low Income and On A Budget... HELP!

Options
2kidsandatrip
2kidsandatrip Posts: 98 Member
I am a single mom of two boys, I have struggled with my weight all my life and have now really found the inspiration and motivation to eat and live healthier. I have found that one of my biggest set backs is that I don't know what to make for dinner on most nights. I live on a very small budget and only spend an average of maybe $30 a week for food to get through the week. Most of that just consists of stuff for my breakfast and lunch at work and then vegetables and chicken. What does everyone else do for meals for the family that is fairly inexpensive and lower in calories/healthier? I use a lot of chicken, tilapia and shrimp as these are the things that I can fit best in my budget, but plain chicken with veggies is getting boring, does anyone have any good suggestions?

Replies

• albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Dried beans and lentils are so cheap and easy. I like having eggs/omelettes/fritattas for dinner too. If you have a slow cooker, I've seen tons of budget, bulk slow-cooker blogs. Try www.budgetbytes.com too for cheap meals!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    homemade spaghetti sauce in the crockpot, then makes spaghetti, lasagne, pizza's, etc
    baked chicken one night, the leftover make chicken pot pie, chicken enchilada casserole, chicken/spinach pizza, etc
    Beans in a crockpot makes burritos, taquitos, taco soup, tex mex casserole, etc

i feed 3 of us breakfast, lunch and dinner since my daughter is homeschooled on less than $200 a month because that's all i can squeeze out of my budget.

it can be done, its lots of montly planning and using the crockpot.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Try changing up the seasonings on your meats and veggies. Also, buying beans and big bags of rice are cheap and will last you a very long time. I have a giant bag of rice that I'm only halfway through and have had for 4 months. The slow cooker idea is great too.
  • reedandmalloy
    Options
    Also www.hillbillyhousewife.com has great ideas and also a grocery list for spending (I think) $40.00 for 3 people for a week. Or something amazing like that.

I agree that things like beans, pasta, chicken, eggs, homemade soups, homemade chili, etc. are great ideas. I'm also on a budget-40 dollars a week for two of us-and I have to be pretty creative!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    We do lentils or chickpeas made into a stew.....very filling and cheap at the same time. You can always go with a rotisserie chicken and use the dark meat and wings for dinner with baked potato and green beans, the breasts can be combined with refried beans, chiles, tortillas and enchilada sauce for another meal and the bones/carcass can go in with a can of chicken broth, vegetables and rice to flavor a good soup. It really comes down to using all parts of a component to stretch it out further. My husband is from North Africa and they look at meat as secondary in a meal and fill their plates with vegetables with the meat as a small piece included. I learned alot when we visited there because they live on so little so it showed how to stretch things out to make them last.
  • wendyholla
    Options
    I used to mix chicken and veggies with brown rice, you could also swap the chicken for the shrimp. Meatless meals are inexpensive, but it would depend on what you can get the kiddos to eat! I plan on having grilled cheese this week a couple of times. I bought Rye bread, because I love it, and thought I would add mushrooms one day and tomatoes another. I don't usually make dinner except for myself because I stopped eating meat and my husband hasn't. He usually makes his own dinner and sometimes for our granddaughters, if they are here, before I get home from work. I usually have perogies one night during the week also.
  • reedandmalloy
    Options
    Lentil Soup Recipe

1-1/2 cups lentils
    1-1/2 quarts of tap water (6 cups)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    15 oz can tomatoes
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon basil (optional)

Get out a large stew pot. Put the lentils in it, and add the water. You can wash the lentils first in a colander if you like, they do sometimes have a little dirt in them, so rinsing them is a good idea. Then put the clean lentils in your big pot (4-quart size) and add the tap water. Bring the lentils to a boil and simmer them on the back of the stove for about an hour. They should be nice and soft, if they aren’t then cook them a little longer, until they taste soft enough to you.

Now get out an iron skillet or another type of frying pan. Heat the olive oil in the skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Quickly saute the onions and garlic until they become tender and translucent. This should only take a couple of minutes. Then add the tomatoes and basil. Bring to a slow boil, and simmer for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, add the salt and pepper to the lentils. When the tomatoes and onions are hot, add them to the pot of lentils. Stir it up and serve. This stew is very hearty. If you already love lentils, then this recipe will probably become a favorite. If you don’t like them yet, then this is a good “get acquainted” recipe. They have a special flavor which puts one in the mind of getting closer to the earth.

Offer hot muffins and celery sticks stuffed with peanut butter on the side.

Like this recipe? Try the split pea dahl next. It’s one of my favorite exotic bean and legume recipes.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Plain chicken or fish is boring. But chicken or fish with bbq sauce, buffalo sauce, teriyaki sauce, marinara sauce, pesto, salsa, peanut satay, breaded and baked instead of fried, yadda yadda yadda is far from boring. It's worth the extra couple calories to have a meal go from 'meh' to outstanding.

My husband's favorite is to top chicken breast with a glob of salsa and a couple sliced jalapeno peppers, bake until almost done, then add a sprinkle of Mexican cheese for the last five minutes. So delicious, and salsa is very low calorie. Have it with black beans and rice with bell peppers and you got a meal.

I make chicken most nights of the week, and usually only start hitting repeats about every two weeks.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Boys are hungry and it's a cruelty to feed them no carbs for dinner. You have to feed kids carbs.

Carbs are cheap, too. Perhaps you have chicken and vege, but boil the boys some potatoes? Potatoes are cheap and filling, and bursting with vitamin c.

Also: pizza. Homemade pizza is cheap as chips and the boys can have extra. Wheat has protein and vitamins, including b group vitamins.

Don't be so quick to call foods 'bad.' processed foods are usually bad, but carbohydrates are not automatically bad, any more than fats.

:) I did a lot of casseroles with baked potatoes, too. And baked biscuits for the children to take in their lunches.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are rich in potassium, great to offset foods high in sodium. Making many of your own foods will cut down on costs. Do you freeze any leftovers? I add Mrs. Dash to my chicken for flavor. Making your own taco seasoning with cumin, chili powder, & garlic powder is how I do mine. They are staples in my house.
  • shellybrooks37
    Options
    When you have mouths to feed besides yourself, and need to stay on a tight budget, there are quick and easy recipes your household can enjoy with you. Although school age children require more carbohydrates than a mother’s metabolism will allow, you can make easy additions to their plate that won’t leave them feeling hungry or make you feel deprived. I have diabetes, and have to eat small meals throughout the day to keep my sugar levels balanced, and I have a very tight food budget. A single mom, two kids and a small budget for food is a predicament I can closely relate to. When it is dinner time, it’s important for me to cook something my kids will eat that won’t send my sugar levels for a loop.
    Frozen vegetables can be bought for a small sum of a $1 a bag. I use the stir-fry mixes that have a small amount of noodles or rice and mix them with boneless skinless chicken. Season the chicken heavily enough to make a good sauce once the vegetables are added. Using Soy Sauce or Teriyaki along with Cavenders Seasoning or Garlic Salt, makes a great stir fry chicken and vegetable. For the kids you can add rice noodles to increase their carbohydrates and fill them up after a long day of school activities.
    Fajitas are a favorite in my home. Sauté some of your “free” foods to add flavor, like onions, peppers, and finely chopped jalapenos. You can even add mixed veggies to your sautéed “free” foods. Add refried beans to the children’s fajitas for more carbs and wrap them like a fajita burrito. Use fajita seasoning for the chicken, and a little chicken goes a long way when you use vegetables in your sautéed mix. Wheat tortillas are a little more expensive, and my kids won’t eat them, so I get a bag of the small flour tortillas for myself and a bag of the large ones for the kids, and use them for many other recipes throughout the week. The small lunchable has a perfectly portioned amount of food to eat as a snack or meal, but they can be costly for everyday use. I buy a box of Kraft Ritz crackers, a block of cheese and some sliced turkey sandwich meat , then make my own cheese and turkey crackers. Six is a serving size and it fills me up more than I expected. You can eat this for lunch and then have a few crackers with a glass of milk for a snack; it keeps sugar levels balance without using too many carbs or calories.
  • lhorne2
    lhorne2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes beans beans beans. You can find alot of recipes online on food network, allrecipes, epicurious. You can do vegetarian entrees several nights a week ! Good luck!
  • DrewMontoya
    DrewMontoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Also www.hillbillyhousewife.com has great ideas and also a grocery list for spending (I think) $40.00 for 3 people for a week. Or something amazing like that.

I agree that things like beans, pasta, chicken, eggs, homemade soups, homemade chili, etc. are great ideas. I'm also on a budget-40 dollars a week for two of us-and I have to be pretty creative!

I second this recommendation. Here's a link to her $45 (was $40 in '09) meal plan\:

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm
  • harleigh67
    Options
    you are welcome to go to my pinterest site, I have several different food sections..... the anti junk food one is all healthy ideas.

Week-night.... Dump 1 envelope of taco seasoning, 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts a jar of salsa in the crockpot, stir and cook on high(4-6 hrs.) or low(6-8 hrs.) Should be able to shred with a fork. Place meat mixture in tortillas and top with your favorite toppings!

You can make slow cooker meals, steak/ chicken fajitas, spaghetti using spaghetti squash if you want healthier, stuffed peppers(taco), chicken rice & veggies, make shish kabobs (ham & pineapple, chicken & veggie just remember to soak skewers over night so they will not burn), kielbasa veggies,and noodles), etc. I have lots of ideas, hope the below ideas help!

My pinterest link... http://www.pinterest.com/beachbodygirl/boards/

Amazing Freezer Meals! 4 hours, 46 meals, 95 dollars! I am going to swap out some of the ingredients to make healthier!

http://www.skinnymom.com/?s=Amazing+Freezer+Meals!+4+hours,+46+meals,+95+dollars!+

great site for recipes & ideas

http://www.skinnymom.com/?_szp=304&_szu=skinnymom

Snacks on the go

http://interiors-designed.com/2013/06/07/create-a-healthy-snack-drawer-for-the-fridge-toss-in-pre-packed-snacks-to-go-for-the-whole-week/

44 foods under a $1

http://greatist.com/health/44-healthy-foods-under-1

weekly lunch prep ides

http://www.skinnymom.com/2012/08/16/weekly-lunch-prep/

slow cooker meals

http://melissafallistestkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/09/freezer-cooking-slow-cooker-meals.html

How to eat healthy on a tight budget - 10 money saving tips

http://wellnessmama.com/2151/how-to-eat-healthy-on-a-budget-10-money-saving-tips/

Cook Once, Eat for the Week

Lucky for you, just $28 worth of groceries can help you prepare new healthy, delicious dinners for five straight nights

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/easy-recipes

$20 Food Showdown: Fast Food vs. Healthy Food

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=what_20_will_buy_at_the_drivethru_and_at_the_supermarket

Try This 42-Calorie Spaghetti Swap

http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=try_this_42calorie_spaghetti_swap

How to Eat Healthy On A Budget – 10 Money Saving Tips

http://wellnessmama.com/2151/how-to-eat-healthy-on-a-budget-10-money-saving-tips/

Cheesy Veggie "Pasta" Bake

http://www.fitsugar.com/Recipe-Gluten-Free-Cheesy-Veggie-Pasta-Bake-20317594

Cut Your Grocery Bill in Half: Eating healthy isn't always cheap, so follow these tips and tricks to keep your wallet fat.

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/cut-your-grocery-bill-in-half
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Very easy and cheap :)

1 lb lean hamburger meat (or turkey) browned and drained
    1 bag frozen (Birdseye) peppers and onions
    2-3 cans stewed tomatoes undrained
    2-3 cans dark red kidney beans undrained

Brown your meat and add the frozen peppers and onions. Cook until tender. Add cans of veggies. Heat thoroughly. Done :)
    I add Tony Cashere's and a touch of garlic to mine while cooking. I also add basalmic vinegar, siriacha and/or Lousianna hot sauce to mine.
    Can be served over rice or eaten with Tortilla (lime flavor is my fave) chips.
    This is a very filling meal and low in calories. I make big batches and freeze them in 2 cup servings.
    Hope you like it. It is a life saver for me :)
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lonnieart
    lonnieart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I make this vegetarian kidney bean chili from whfoods.com all the time. They're like 80 cents per can, one can per 4 serving recipe (keep in mind - they're small servings!). I cut out the bellpeppers cuz I don't like them, use only half an onion (or a very small one) because it's too strong if I don't, and sometimes add other peppers or celery for filler. It's a forgiving recipe (just don't overspice, lol). Cheap and easy to just double, triple, quadruple, haha. I use it for potlucks because it's gluten free and vegan. You can eat the chili over rice as a filler & add cheese if you want and yum. You can take leftovers to work for lunch.

I usually keep celery, carrots, and onions at all times in the fridge because they go in lots of soups: chicken and rice, potato, chili, minestrone, etc. I make soup. A LOT. But I also love soup like no person has ever loved soup. For things like tomatoes, I just keep canned stuff in stock in the cabinets because I use them less often. I like having a small number of ingredients that I can make a lot of things with. The things I mentioned, potatoes, rice, noodles, and pasta sauce are mine. I also always have canned beans. I can usually make something with all of that, be it soup, spaghetti, chili, stew, or just using them as simple side items (frozen veggies and chicken are also always in stock, usually with at least one other meat or more I have the cash or they're on sale). I try to stay away from most prepackaged lunch/dinner foods because they really are just more expensive. It's more time consuming though.

I just switched from "healthy" to-go foods to freezing soups and things of my own for grab-n-go lunch foods. Also, you don't have to use meat all the time if it's too expensive. I make vegetarian soups a lot because I just don't feel like messing with defrosting and things.

Note: I am not a mother, but I just moved out of my parents' house with my boyfriend, sooo I'm trying to not live off of ramen, and I'm doing a decent job of it. (oh, btw, I DO like to make ramen and just use my own seasonings and throw in a million things like onions, peas, egg, etc. Then you can use the ramen packets as bullion)
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    My family was pretty poor growing up. (My dad made $6k in their first year of marriage...almost literally a starving artist!:smile: ) We ate a lot of Lentils, split pea, beans, and meatloaf. I make a turkey meatloaf (good protein and not too many calories) now and still eat lentils, etc. on occasion. I grew up in Hawaii and milk was $5 a gallon (Now it's like $7.50)...so obviously we never bought it; instead, we had powdered milk.

We didn't have much variety...but we were always full. Good luck to you. :smile:
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    bump