walk away the pounds

Options
does anyone do these - and do they like them? i used to run - but that was causing too many problems with my knees and feet. can you lose weight with these dvds?

Replies

• SLMiddleton
    Options
    I have a couple of these videos and really enjoy them. I like them because each video offers different lengths and styles of workouts / walking, so some days I can do a short workout and others I can do longer if I have the time. And I find the pace perfect for me as a beginner. I have never used them consistently so I cannot say it has helped me specifically lose weight. I plan on using them much more once winter comes and I can no longer walk outdoors.

Thumbs up from me! :happy:
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    It's a big YES from me- these workouts are basically the only exercise I do, just now incorporating weights with kettleballs.
    I do 2-5 miles of the 12 minute miles and started this summer! Haven't found them boaring either :o}
  • kitt7769
    Options
    I have a few of the DVDs and I use the Express DVD a lot in the mornings around 4am before going to work. I find that my day seems to go better when I do this.
  • 25daniow
    25daniow Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have several of these videos and I love them. I do the five mile walk or the four fast mile walk quite often and have found that they definitely help with weight loss. They are easy to follow but still give a great workout. With the five miles I usually burn about 520 calories on my heart monitor and with the four mile I burn about 430. I really enjoy them and think they are worth a try:)
  • MsMITaylor
    Options
    My BFF did the dvds and lost weight. She was up to almost 20 miles a week and got off of her insulin.. Just do it and keep it up!! Good Luck!!
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the video. However, I have walked a lot over the last 6 months. I've walked anywhere from 20 - 55 miles a week and it works. I'm eating approximately 1650 calories a day plus all the walking and I've lost nearly 60 pounds in that time. The one thing I want to add is that I'm getting 7 - 8 hours a sleep a night. I've heard that even dropping to 5 - 6 hours of sleep a night affects weight loss. As best as I can understand, you seem to get hungrier when you're awake. I know that sounds obvious, but it seems to affect the frequency of hte hunger urge.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've had the DVDs for a few years and always thought they were too easy. Normally I just do intervals on the elliptical and get quite a good workout from that. But when my weight loss started to slow down, I thought I'd give the Walk Away the Pounds DVD another try. I recently bought a heart rate monitor and was curious as to how many calories I was burning since they seemed so easy. Boy was I surprised!!! I burned MORE calories doing Walk Away the Pounds than the same amount of time on the elliptical! And it felt like much less work. During the first part when they're not using weights, I still carry my 3 lb weights to make it a little more challenging.

I do have to say though that after a few workouts with the same DVD, the commentary gets a little old. So I get on the internet and guiltlessly watch my favorite shows while "walking" and following the action on the DVD.

Have fun with whatever you decide to do! :)
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT! I do the videos a couple nights a week.
  • Luneytoonz
    Luneytoonz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love these videos! I feel so good after I do them. You can modify the pace to what's comfortable for you. I agree that the conversation gets old, but I either put in a different video or turn down the sound. I've seen a huge change in my legs, they're getting more toned. I believe the videos are a huge part of my success up to now. Try them, you'll be hooked.
  • Luneytoonz
    Luneytoonz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's a big YES from me- these workouts are basically the only exercise I do, just now incorporating weights with kettleballs.
    I do 2-5 miles of the 12 minute miles and started this summer! Haven't found them boaring either :o}

Hi Plummy,
    I was looking at the kettleballs but I'm not really sure how to work with them. What part of the body do they tone? How many pounds does your's weigh? What exercises do you do with them? I've seen the contestants on the Biggest Loser use them. It looks like they just swing them up and down. What's that all about?
    Patti (Luneytoonz)
  • huggawho43
    Options
    thanks for all the replies!! now I'm motivated to try it :) goodbye running.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    This is what I am starting on Monday to "walk away those pounds."

Short Day: Warm up 5-10 minutes. Stretch. Walk at target pace (determined, 50-70% of maximum heart rate) for 30 minutes. Slow to easy pace for 5 minutes. Finish with gentle stretching. Heart Rate Calculator

Long Day: Warm up 5-10 minutes at easy pace. Stretch. Walk at target pace for 60 minutes. Slow to easy pace for 5 minutes. Finish with gentle stretching.

Long Easy Day: Warm up 5-10 minutes at easy pace. Stretch. Walk at target pace for 30 minutes. Slow to easy pace for additional 30 - 90 minutes. Finish with gentle stretching.

Day Off: When walking for weight loss, you should take no more than 1 to 2 days off a week.

Alternate these days to fit your personal weekly schedule.

Example: Day : Workout - Time at Target HR
    Sun.: Day Off - 0 min.
    Mon.: Long Day - 60 min.
    Tue.: Short Day - 30 min.
    Wed.: Short Day - 30 min.
    Thu.: Long Day - 60 min.
    Fri.: Short Day - 30 min.
    Sat.: Long Easy Day 30 min. at target HR, 30-90 easy.