Body weight question

Options
I work out a lot. I run and lift weights. I am 6'0 usually on a good day 178. This past weekend I went to a college football game. After drinking alcohol friday and saturday. My weight just drasticly went up around 7 pounds the next day. I woke up today around 181. I burn seriously 700 calories a day at the gym. Why is my body like that. I did eat food too both days. The "tailgate food". I just do not feel like I gained weight. My pants fit. But just after two days is that possible? I went for two runs yesterday too. Does alcohol just do that to your body weight?

Replies

• Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Various factors dictate scale weight, sodium, hydration levels, undigested foods etc, weight does fluctuate, do not worry, unless you consumed 24500 calories over your maintenance level you did not gain 7lbs of fat
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think in a couple days it will come off, if you don't eat like that every day. I have had gains like that after eating badly, but it comes off in just a few days. I think a lot of it is water weight from sodium and such.
  • samammay
    Options
    I always weight higher the day after alcohol too. You probably ate more volume than usual and filled up your insides, plus with water gain and other things your body isnt used to, its held a lot. But like a PP said... its not fat. It'll return to normal or so in a day or 3.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,197 Member
    Options
    It's not just the Alcohol. The alcohol does have to be hydrolyzed and the bi products will increase your weight until you get them out of your system. Yes, Alcohol is like INSTANT carbs. You can really pack on weight but seven pounds in a weekend is most likely a couple of pounds from the food and alcohol but I think you'll find as you get back in your normal routine, a lot of it is the sodium, potassium and other hydrophilic molecules. 3500 calories extra from food in two days seems reasonable but you would have needed to consume 24,500 calories above your BMR over two days in order to have put on seven pounds from food. Don't sweat the fluctuations. It can occur from retained fluids, retained feces in the colon, or even inflammation of the muscles after a hard workout. Shrug it off, get back to work and next time don't consume so many ribs and beers. :-)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Salt and alcohol can both make your water balance do weird things. You can't have gained fat. It will go away.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Everybody's body is pretty much like that. A calorie splurge will usually cause you to retain water, which is where the extra weight is coming from. It isn't fat, it should come off pretty quick. Drink lots of water, keep working out, it'll shift.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS gain after drinking--and I typically only drink one drink. Takes 2-3 days to come off.