Is there a benefit to use barbells over dumbbells?

Options
Is there any difference between barbells and dumbbells, any benefit to use one over the other? I'm a beginner, by the way.

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    For myself, I found that my grip failed on things like step-ups and squats, when using dumbbells, long before my legs really felt challenged.

Putting the barbell on my back, I only had to balance the weight rather than bear it on my hands and arms. I was then able to perform squats and step-ups with enough weight to get real results.
  • jstarz002
    Options
    BB's are a must for squats and deadlfts....
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Is there any difference between barbells and dumbbells, any benefit to use one over the other? I'm a beginner, by the way.

Use whichever is more convenient. You can do most exercises with either, including squats and deadlifts. I find dumbbells tend to be more versatile. For example you can combine a bicep curl and a shoulder press into one movement with dumbbells. You can't really do that with a barbell.

Dumbbells do work the arms & grip a little more - which i think is a good thing. Most beginners have a weak grip.
  • deanconnors3
    deanconnors3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Really depends on you and what you're doing. For exercises like squats and deadlifts, barbells are easier to manage with the bigger weights, but for most other exercises I actually prefer to use dumbells as you can isolate the muscles worked better and you incorporate a lot of the little balance muscles that come into play just keeping the bells steady during bench presses, overhead presses, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    You can use more weight with barbells because there's less stabilization for balance involved.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I find both to be benefical depending on what type of exercise you are doing. I love barbells as you can load up the weight and it is easier to maintain grip.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You can do variations of squats and deadlifts with dumbbells.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I think having a mixture of dumbbell and barbell exercises are great.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I think having a mixture of dumbbell and barbell exercises are great.
    True dat^ Also with the right equipment eg squat rack, bench press etc loading up for presses is a lot safer, I mean try getting into position benching with a heavy load with dumbbells without feeling like your might tear something.

Stability has already been mentioned.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You can use more weight with barbells because there's less stabilization for balance involved.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

this

I use both- but for the really heavy stuff- BB is the way to go.

if you are just starting out and afraid the bar will be too heavy (standard oly bar is 45 lbs- the smaller women's one is 35- but almost every gym will carry 45's standard) work you're way up using DB's.
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Right now that I don't lift too heavy dumbbells work just fine for me. But once I start lifting heavier weights *defined by me as more than a barbell would weigh or more than is comfortable to lift with good form* then I am definitely going for the barbell and weights because it will just be easier to work with.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    You can go much heavier with barbells, and you have more stability.

Also, I personally think squats are really awkward to do with DB's as it is, and even more so if you don't have the upper body strength to balance it around shoulder height.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    You can go much heavier with barbells, and you have more stability.

Also, I personally think squats are really awkward to do with DB's as it is, and even more so if you don't have the upper body strength to balance it around shoulder height.

the dumbbells can be held at the sides, especially when they get heavier. Other variations that are great are goblet squats and plié/sumo dumbbell squats.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    Kind of hard to say you should use one over the other. Because you should use them both for different reasons. There are times when dumbbell's are more appropriate and times when barbells are. All depends on what you're doing.

What are your goals?
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I was using a program the was mostly dumbbell work from Jan. of this year until about a month ago. I made progress and enjoyed it. The greater range of motion with DBs was really helpful for an old shoulder issue on presses. Since you are a beginner, DBs could really be a great intro to lifting.

As others have noted, you will probably want to move to BBs once you progress and really want to add weights. Squats and dead lifts become difficult with DBs. You even have to be careful with DB presses if the weights get heavy...getting them into position can be a challenge.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

this.

you're going to be able to handle more weight with a barbell in most exercises. plus, in terms of cost for workout equipment, a barbell + some plates is the best investment you can make.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have never done a ton of lifting with dumbbells, but I have extensive experience with kettlebells, which are, for your purposes, interchangeable. I got to be really freaking strong using kettlebells before I ever touched a barbell, and I would surmise that they are the reason I have made so much progress with the barbell now.

Aside from the ballistic kettlebell lifts (which would be fairly awkward with dumbbells), I did goblet squats, front squats, strict presses, push presses, deadlifts, contralateral single leg deadlifts, lunges, Turkish get ups, and probably a lot of stuff I'm forgetting about. My advice, if you want to advance to barbell lifting at some point, is to use dumbbells or kettlebells to do a lot of Turkish get-ups, double front squats (these are particularly freaking brutal), and double presses. You will get beastishly strong from those, as you progress to heavier weights. And then when you start lifting with an Olympic bar, you will be way ahead of most beginners in terms of strength and core stability.

But to (somewhat) answer your question, I do think you need to train with an eye toward heavy barbell lifting.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    In summary, they both have their place.

BB -- Lift heavier, easier to control at higher weights
    DB -- Challenge various supporting muscles more
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I can lift a heavier using a bar than I can using dumbbells. 100 lbs on a barbell is possible for me to lift on a bench press, but two 50 lb dumbbells is not.