oatmeal versus cheerios

Options

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    So if you add sugar to oatmeal that's different than there being sugar in Cheerios? The only way I can gag down oatmeal is if I add a couple tablespoons of brown sugar to it so it kind of defeats the purpose of choosing the "healthy" choice especially since sugar is going to kill us all.

sugar_demon.gif
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal for sure - with...
    raisins if I am in the mood
    milk, or
    brown sugar
    or...
    cinnamon or
    by itself.

Oatmeal is the best :blushing:

So if you add sugar to oatmeal that's different than there being sugar in Cheerios? The only way I can gag down oatmeal is if I add a couple tablespoons of brown sugar to it so it kind of defeats the purpose of choosing the "healthy" choice especially since sugar is going to kill us all.

Two tablespoons? That's a LOT of sugar - about 3 times as much as a serving of cheerios. And 6 times more than I'd ever use in oatmeal. I'd gag on that much sugar, and if you really need that much, I'd take it as a pretty strong indication that you just don't like oatmeal. Not that there's anything wrong with that. What you find palatable and whether or not it's healthy or inexpensive are separate issues. I can and often do eat unsweetened oatmeal but can't stomach unsweetened milk, which means I'd have to add sugar to the cheerios. Either that or eat them dry. I'd much rather have the oatmeal... or maybe cheese grits.
  • breeze_brat
    breeze_brat Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Neither hold me over very long, i am hungry a lil while after eating either one
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Cherries are good but empty calories, in my opinion, but oats are delicious and wholesome and much better for you.

honey-nut-cheerios-nutrition-information.jpg

So what about this is empty calories again? Is it the 25% Iron, 3g protein, 115mg potassium....what?

How about the 9g of sugar in 28g Cheerio portion? I would say right there are your empty cals.

Oatmeal over processed cereals any day. But that's my opinion.

To the original poster: Had to laugh at your calculations. But your thought are so true. :smile:

We're getting out of whack over 9g of sugar? Pfft.

Agreed Oh Noz!!! the world is coming to an End..... Sugar is the Devil!!! Lol
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

sugar_demon.gif

Totally stealing the sugar monster gif!! Thanks....:drinker:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So what about this is empty calories again? Is it the 25% Iron, 3g protein, 115mg potassium....what?

Meaning they don't last very long on the tummy. Sugar is pretty high up on the ingredient list as well. :wink:

Also, I don't add sugar to anything, and I try to eat foods without added processed sugar. Love natural sugars, such as fruit.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal for me since there is oatmeal that is gluten free.
    Now if you made me choose between Cinnamon Chex cereal and oatmeal.....well...actually I'd still go with the oatmeal. It's more filling and versatile to more ingredients depending on my mood.

Yeah, oatmeal is my choice too.

Unless you're in NZ, then it's not. No oats for me :(
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    There are 10.3 g of sucrose in the average apple, compared to 9 g of sucrose in a serving of cheerios. The serving of cheerios also has a lot more vitamins and minerals than the apple. I also don't know too many people who can feel full for 4-6 hours off of one piece of fruit.

The sucrose is the same chemical in both cases (a bond between glucose and fructose produced from photosynthesis in plants). The main difference is that it's a lot easier to harvest sucrose for mass production of table sugar from sugar cane than from apples, oranges, etc. It doesn't last long wrt to hunger because it's not digested in the stomach, but rather the small intestine.

But if eating fruit really makes you feel better about yourself than eating table sugar, then keep on trucking. Just don't go around spreading pseudoscience.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The sugar issue from the Huff post

Whether it's in a piece of fruit, your soda or a pastry, sugar is made up of the same two components: fructose and glucose. The molecular structure and composition of sugar molecules is the same no matter where they come from.

The ratios of fructose and glucose are pretty much the same in both fruit and table sugar. Most fruits are 40 to 55 percent fructose (there's some variation: 65 percent in apples and pears; 20 percent in cranberries), and table sugar (aka sucrose) is 50/50. Neither type of sugar is better or worse for you, but your body processes them differently. Fructose breaks down in your liver and doesn’t provoke an insulin response. Glucose starts to break down in the stomach and requires the release of insulin into the bloodstream to be metabolized completely.

Don't get the idea that because the sugar composition is the same in fruit and cake, they're interchangeable. (Seriously, they're not.) For one thing, fruit offers good stuff like vitamins, antioxidants and water, while candy and desserts are nutritionally void. Fruit also tends to have less sugar by volume. Half a cup of strawberries: 3.5 grams of sugar. Half a cup of strawberry ice cream: 15 grams.

Plus, whole fruit has a lot of fiber, which actually slows down your body's digestion of glucose, so you don't get the crazy insulin spike (and subsequent crash) that candy causes. That also means your body has more time to use up glucose as fuel before storing it -- as fat. Even dried fruit, a notoriously sugary treat, has all the fiber and nutrients of its plump forbear. But do watch out for dried fruits with added sugar(check the nutrition label), and don't eat a ton just because they're smaller. Picture how many pieces are in a handful of raisins compared with a handful of grapes.

On average, Americans don't eat enough fruit, so don't cut it out of your diet in an attempt to limit your sugar intake! Sugar itself isn't toxic. But getting too much of it from cookies and cake is.[/quote]
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/29/fruit-sugar-versus-white-sugar_n_3497795.html
    :
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Huffington Post, where all good scientists and doctors go for information. Who needs the American Journal of Medicine when you can get all this data right from the Huffington Post?
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Huffington Post, where all good scientists and doctors go for information. Who needs the American Journal of Medicine when you can get all this data right from the Huffington Post?

:yawn:
    isn't it your bedtime??
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

:yawn:
    isn't it your bedtime??

What a well thought out rebuttal. Gosh.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    All of a sudden, I am hungry for oatmeal!
  • andy_geek
    andy_geek Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like both Honeynut Cheerios and Oatmeal.

When i'm shoveling down the bowl of cheerios i know it's not the best for me and that i'll need to eat something else soon when i run out of energy but it's quick to prepare and get going for the day.

When i take the time to prepare then eat the oatmeal, i feel a level of satisfaction that i'm doing right for my body at that point.

I just try to strike a balance between the two which is a big improvement over my lifestyle before when i never gave a second thought to what was going "down the hatch".
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    All of a sudden, I am hungry for oatmeal!

me too, and some honey nut cheerios...i just decided that it is snack time. i think i will go with the latter...

oh, and btw you can easily find a box cheerios on sale for way less than $3.99 a box. often they run sales for $1.99-2.50, plus there are often $.50 off coupons available or $1 off of 2....recently with a sale running & coupon doubling i scored a box for less than a $1 :smile:
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The Huffington Post article was fairly accurate, and in my experience unless they majored in biology/chemistry and are used to reading studies, people don't have the scientific knowledge to fully comprehend scientific articles. I've had many discussions with people who referenced articles that didn't actually demonstrate what they thought it did. The most common error is inferring that an experiment conducted on a group of people with specific traits can be generalized to the entire population, followed closely by not being able to tell when the author is using conjecture in his discussion/conclusion for future potential research vice statements of fact.

Likewise, if I were to read an economics study I'd be way in over my head and unable to understand and critically analyze what it meant, but the Economist magazine does a good job of summarizing it for me.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I do oatmeal every morning .. 2 packets of Plain Instant Oatmeal. 90 sec in the microwave and bam ... breakfast.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    There are 10.3 g of sucrose in the average apple, compared to 9 g of sucrose in a serving of cheerios. The serving of cheerios also has a lot more vitamins and minerals than the apple. I also don't know too many people who can feel full for 4-6 hours off of one piece of fruit.

No horse in this race, but do people really feel full for 4-6 hours off of a serving of Cheerios? (No milk or other fat source if comparing the apple with the Cheerios.)

I may be biased since any form of cereal seems to make my appetite go into overdrive.
  • reedandmalloy
    Options
    I go for what has the lowest sodium. Which would be the oatmeal.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I get both. Just because I don't like to eat the same stuff all the time so I get different things, switch it up every once in a while. But I prefer frosted shredded wheat instead of Cheerios. But I get Cheerios sometimes too. I like protein powder with oatmeal. Nice and filling.