Lack of sleep = muscle loss?

Options
I know a goodnights sleep is important for your body's rejuvenation and recovery, but I heard on a radio program earlier today that not getting 7 to 8 hours sleep per night will eventually cause your muscle tissue to breakdown and you will begin to lose lean muscle mass. Anyone hear of this?

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard anything like this, but I'm surprised, if it is true, that I'm not just a big ol' pile of goo at this point in my life...
  • silly_whim
    Options
    I never heard of muslce loss. I have heard of weight gain. I just did a quick google on it and found only weight gain. the reasoning for weight gain is hormone levels...which translates we replace the sleep with more calorie intake.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I know a goodnights sleep is important for your body's rejuvenation and recovery, but I heard on a radio program earlier today that not getting 7 to 8 hours sleep per night will eventually cause your muscle tissue to breakdown and you will begin to lose lean muscle mass. Anyone hear of this?
    [/quote

OMG...If this is true, it would explain why is so hard for me to gain some muscle mass, even with weight lifting exercises. I very seldom get even 8 hours of sleep. It is just the way I am, 6 hours is my average.
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    I *heard* that you lose some muscle when you sleep. That is why some people drink a protein shake before bed. Some have dairy before bed.

Notice that I put astericks around the word "heard".
  • skinnyontheinside
    Options
    You may have been listening to talk about this article that was printed yesterday:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/la-heb-sleep-fat-20101004,0,3900894.story?obref=obinsite
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Your muscle fibers have to rebuild while you're sleeping if you've done any strenuous exercise to tear them up that day. So your body uses protein as building blocks to join the fibers back together. If you don't get enough sleep, your muscles can have a hard time rebuilding, delaying the progress of your muscle building. I wouldn't say that you LOSE muscle while you sleep, unless you eat absolutely no protein in your diet.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    This article was posted on my facebook earlier it might have some answers.

http://www.active.com/women/Articles/Improve-Your-Performance-With-Sleep.htm?cmp=16-5429