Beginner Exercises At Home-Help!

Hi-

I am new to site, working out and my new life style of weightloss, but I need some help with simple exercises I can do at home. I would like to know what are some suggestions that others are using or can recommend to myself. I am a fan of leg lifts just because I would like to loose my thighs...I would like to tone bottom and just overall exercise...Please help with any info you may have...jumping jacks, sit ups? push ups? any suggestions greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance...oh yeah and sets of 10 is that a good start? How many repeats or sets would you say are good to start with.

Replies

• TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Planking, crunches, pushups, lunges.... those are staples of mine.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Take a look at Fitnessblender.com, they have lots of free fitness video's of low impact exercises to very hard. I do them a lot :happy:
  • JamieH1984
    JamieH1984 Posts: 86 Member
    The "health & fitness" section on pintrest is a great starting point too. TONS of workouts, motivation, tips tand healthy recipes.
  • aura82
    aura82 Posts: 27 Member
    I personally like squats, curtsy squats, sumo squats and lunges (I do these holding weights) + donkey kickbacks, crunches, push ups, plank and a couple of other core exercises that I don't have a name for. I usually do 3 sets of 12 on each exercise. I am focusing on my core, butt and thighs.
  • YouTube has great videos! You can do some beginner exercise routines with Chris Powell (Extreme Weight Loss trainer) and Jillian Michael's (Biggest Loser) for my hardcore stuff. I have used/use both and it is a great way to start a routine, working into something bigger.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    If you can consider buying a dvd Jillian Michaels 30 shred is a good start, you will get the form down on the basic moves like squat, lunge and all you need is a pair of dumbells and a mat.

If not, stay focused on basic moves first, like the ones I mentioned above, and pushup, crunch ( engage the core!) first before starting to do variations of them.

Jump rope is a great cardio excersise, ten minutes in high pace is a good start.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    This page looks awesome: http://amandakristeen.blogspot.com/2013/04/does-catcow-exercise-involve-moo-ing.html
    I'm going to check out her blog more after finding that :)

I do a bunch of my favorites from yoga, pilates, weightlifting, etc, so it's hard to list what I like.

For thighs/butt, I'd definitely do bridges and an exercise called clamshells.

I do the inner thigh lifts on that page I linked, and another great one I'll describe at the end. I do the side lifts on that page and also in ballet's 2nd position (turned out). I do these with weights, so you can definitely increase the benefit as you get stronger if you like.

I do some specific hip flexor ones that I'll get into if anyone is interested (kind of a dance thing, so not important in general).

Then do some standing ballet work (feet normal is great). Do leg lifts front, side (or do fire hydrants if your hips don't like 2nd) and in arabesque position. Look up tendus and just lift a bit higher and you'll be set. Or start with tendus if lifting is bad-hard.

The IT (and technically part-quad) exercise I like has no name that I know of. Sit with legs together, straight out front of you. Turn your right leg outwards as far as completely comfortable. Lift it. That's it :) Do 2 or 3 sets of 8-12 and add weights as you please.

Eventually, do more hamstring, glute and low-back things than this for your lower body (I do yoga for it), but it's a good start! You don't want to start with too much that could stress your low back until you know how yours reacts, imho. Also watch the tendons in the hips. Start small on the reps and feel it out through a rest day before you go full out.

For abs, the linked page is good, and also look up reverse crunches (and the 'lifts' version). Leg lifts of the abs variety are awesome (but watch your back). I also swear by bellydance moves for abs and spine muscles!

Good luck!
  • Thank you all for your fabulous feedback and help...greatly appreciated :)
  • TDiaz214
    TDiaz214 Posts: 108 Member
    Some quick ones which I find helpful to do:
    Squats
    Lunges
    Walking up/down stairs - really effective !
    Lifting anything (within reason) in the house