Help weight training

Options
Hi I think I do to much cardio as that's all I'm doing can anyone recommend some other exercises I can do to help tone and lose weight. I've just brought some dumbbells to help.

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Are you looking to work out in the gym or at home? Progressive strength training at home can be tricky because most forms take a lot of equipment (either resistance bands or free weights), but you can find some great body weight workouts online. You just have to keep changing the moves up ever so often to increase the challenge.

If you have access to a gym, I'd recommend a beginner program that concentrates on compound lifts like StrongLifts or New Rules of Lifting for Women. I know NROLFW has adaptations for doing it at home, but you still need a good selection of dumbells at varying weights as you progress through the weeks.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    lift weights! lift all the weights! for upper body I like curls, shoulder presses, bench presses, and flys. for lower body I like squats (prisoner and sumo), dead lifts, morning glorys, and calve raises.

if you don't have access to weights pull ups are great. you can work out various muscles by changing up your grip. and of course push ups. which you can also vary in order to work out different muscles. plyometric jump movements w/ lighter weights are also great, mainly for the lower body/core.

but if you want to gain some muscle mass you should probably also consider cutting down on the cardio if your doing it 3 or more times a week.
  • beckybest3
    beckybest3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I workout 5/6 times a week on my treadmill, running and power walking. Have not lost weight in a year. Driving me mad. Someone recommended some weight training. I did start Amy child's workouts on fitness tv was sets of 40 30 20 10. May continue 3 times a week with that ?
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I love Fitness TV! I've had 2 sessions with Dean Ash recently and it's the most I've ever been pushed weight wise!!

Download as many free apps as you can find. Type in weights, lifting etc and there are some great ones. PM me if you want any further info?
  • beckybest3
    beckybest3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No sure what I'm doing I have manged to delete the fitness programs of my sky box opps. I brought some dumbbells today. Did 30 mins cardio as I was in a bit of a rush this morning. Followed by lunges and squats and omg I felt it after still do my legs kill. This evening I did a few things with weights. N sure what there called though lol. Also did sit ups side oblique raises and planks. How often should you do weights and that?
    I generally do cardio 5/6 times a week. Get carried away watching something on ipad while running. Just want to lose my love handles be toned and lose some inches. I'm not ver weight at 9.4 but would be happier 8.12. Finding any weight loss hard after my second child.
    I am quiet active have 5 hrs a week private cleaning work I do, along with my own , running around after two kids and a husband.