Help Please...especially if you have lost a lot of weight

Options
Okay so I am hoping some of my friends that have lots a large amount of weight can help me out.....I am kinda discouraged and I am not feeling motivated to eat right because of it. I did the Advocare cleanse and in the 1st week I dropped 15 pounds that stated on Sept 7th........since then I feel like I have been eating mostly right and working my butt off with exercise and since that 1st week the dang scale won't move.....in fact it has gone up a pound. Any advice??

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Yes..don't worry. 15 LB is a lot of weight and is enough for starters isn't it? Just keep eating at a deficit and don't stress too much. It's a marathon not a sprint.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    What Roy said...

I will also add: be sure to see a nutritionist. They can help you with your food and also your workout routine.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    In anyone's weight loss journey you can expect stalls (5 weeks & over) and plateaus ( a few days to a few weeks)... where you stop losing, or even gain a pound or two Especially after first starting out, My first stall was after 5 weeks for 6 weeks but I kept doin what I was doing and the scale dropped again The main thing is to keep to your program and eventually your body readjusts and the scale drops again. It is hard, and many give up... but never give up and the weight does come off.
  • grace5312001
    Options
    My doctor said to do an apple day....only eat 6 apples for the day. or a steak day....don't eat all day and only have a lean steak for dinner. These are his fixes for a plateau.
  • grace5312001
    Options
    My doctor put me on HCG and I lost 25 lbs in 33 days. I feel better already, but still have lots to loss. This gives me hope, which I have never had. Check it out. And for plateaus, he suggests an apple or steak day. check it out, it may be for you.
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on HCG and I lost 25 lbs in 33 days. I feel better already, but still have lots to loss. This gives me hope, which I have never had. Check it out. And for plateaus, he suggests an apple or steak day. check it out, it may be for you.

What kind of quack dr are u going to?
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yep what the others said...my second week of losing weight i gained over a pound....but I stuck at it and have now lost in excess of 180 pounds....just keep at it :)
  • monchandler
    monchandler Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I lost a few pounds in the beginning..then up a bit ...stayed the same and then started losing again. Some muscle gain and inches lost do not always show up on the scale as a loss. The more muscle you gain the more calories you will be burning..so even if you see a slight gain..it may be a good muscle gain. Just keep doing the diet and exercise you will loose!!!
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Yep what the others said...my second week of losing weight i gained over a pound....but I stuck at it and have now lost in excess of 180 pounds....just keep at it :)

Woww!! did you lose it all on myfitnesspal?
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Woww!! did you lose it all on myfitnesspal?

No .... I lost most of it before I came across MFP...but did do it by calorie counting and exercise :)
  • Jazzabelle100885
    Options
    You do a cleanse, lose 15 lbs in 1 week and then eat normal again, gain a pound and you're worried? I say, see a nutritionist and maybe learn about food and the effects of it before you start losing weight. You might be hurting your body.

Not trying to be mean but for people who have been on a weight loss journey for a few months, years or longer this is pure logic. You cannot do a cleanse, and then eat normal again and expect weight to go gain. Eating normally again will cause your body to be confused and will cling on to finally getting some nutrition again - thus causing you to gain weight. Just eat healthy, work out, keep at it and the weight will come off again.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I lost a few pounds in the beginning..then up a bit ...stayed the same and then started losing again. Some muscle gain and inches lost do not always show up on the scale as a loss. The more muscle you gain the more calories you will be burning..so even if you see a slight gain..it may be a good muscle gain. Just keep doing the diet and exercise you will loose!!!

^^^This^^^. Also, remember to measure in as well as weigh in. You may find that in one month you don't lose anything on the scales but you lose in your measurements. It is great for keeping up motivation
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    My doctor said to do an apple day....only eat 6 apples for the day. or a steak day....don't eat all day and only have a lean steak for dinner. These are his fixes for a plateau.

Presumably he/she has been struck off??? That's not good advice!!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Okay so I am hoping some of my friends that have lots a large amount of weight can help me out.....I am kinda discouraged and I am not feeling motivated to eat right because of it. I did the Advocare cleanse and in the 1st week I dropped 15 pounds that stated on Sept 7th........since then I feel like I have been eating mostly right and working my butt off with exercise and since that 1st week the dang scale won't move.....in fact it has gone up a pound. Any advice??

I did a very low calorie diet for four weeks a while ago, lost about 5kg. But here's the thing. What I found was that the moment I went on the bars, I lost 2kg. But at the end of the timeperiod on their bars, I went back up that 2 kg.

I ended up deciding it was food in my gut or something. The bars gave me diarrhoea so i think they flushed my innards out.

I will never do that diet again however. It was truly awful. For the first month when motivation was high, I was really good at it. then one day I couldn't do it any more and that was it. 800 cals a day was no fun, and in the long run?

In the long run I'm losing weight and eating. I think those diets are a crock. And I think a respectable portion of what you lose in that first week is going to be water. If you can keep that weight off consider yourself very lucky, and you'll have to work at it I should think, in order to turn that water weight loss into actual genuine fat loss. :)