Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Don't know where to start!!

2»

Replies

• Trogalicious - that is definitely true with me. I have noticed losses/gains a week or a bit more after the good/bad week! Xx
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member
    Listen to those that have lost 153 pounds. They must be doing something right!
  • Listen to those that have lost 153 pounds. They must be doing something right!

Definitely!! Xx
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    I think the big post above makes sense. I think the important thing is not to give up but to carry on even when the buzz as gone. The social side of MFP gets me though. Post on the forums and make friends (and then post on your friends status updates, it really helps you). For me what is important isn't seeing numbers come off the scales it is to change my lifestyle. I count a successful day as having eaten up to my calorie allowance including my activity calories and hopefully getting my body into motion. This to me doesn't mean ballsout sessions every day. Gentle walks on days off are cool as well. I'm trying to learn. I've tried to reduce weight before and whatever I did din't work so I'm doing it different this time:-)

Good luck
    Dave
  • Thanks Dave. I'm in this for a better lifestyle/well being as well as losing the weight. I will definitely keep in touch with the forums - I can see how they will help! Xx
  • LMJS
    LMJS Posts: 157 Member
    Hi there,

You have a really positive attitude and that really helps in this process - also doing it for the right reasons i.e. Yourself :happy:

As a previous poster has said, what has helped me most here is having friends for support. It helps keep you motivated, keeps you accountable, steal food ideas from their diaries :laugh: but also just knowing there is someone you can chat to when you're having an off day and who is/has gone through the same thing! We all have them, but knowing you have the support to pick yourself up & carry on makes all the difference.

I agree with a lot of what has been said already - mainly weigh & log everything! I eat what I normally would but portion control, otherwise it just wouldn't work for me. The one thing that has been the biggest change for me this time is the exercise. I currently do C25K and Zumba, both of which I love. So as long as you find something you enjoy then go for it! Sounds like your already doing well with the walking & chasing after the little ones :tongue:

Very best of luck! Add me as a friend if you want to share support :drinker:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Yes, before you make any changes to your diet, please log what you presently eat so you know just how much energy you need to maintain your present weight - assuming your weight has been relatively stable (Note that if you are presently sedentary, adding exercise will require you to eat additional calories to maintain weight). So many people miss this vital step and do not establish the proper deficits. Knowing your Total Daily Energy Expenditure will allow you to accurately choose the proper caloric deficit for you. I strongly urge you to also follow the custom option instead of guided for better accuracy of your own energy needs.

TDEE Method
    When you created your profile, MFP gave you the option GUIDED (to let the site do it for you) or CUSTOM (to manually type in the numbers).. If you follow the TDEE method, go back and choose to manually customize your own goal and put your present TDEE in the Net Calories Consumed tab, which is the very first line under DAILY NUTRITIONAL GOALS. The TDEE method already includes exercise energy expenditure so ignore the Calories to Eat Back comment when logging your food.

Once you know your actual TDEE, you can simply reduce your calories by 500 per day since you wish to lose 50 lbs. Periodically, as you continue to lose weight, you'll want to decrease the deficit by eating more. The amount of fat mass one has determines the upper limit of fat that can be burned in a 24-hour period. This means, as you get leaner, your deficit must be smaller. By the time you have about 15 to 10 lbs to lose, you'd be eating approximately 250 calories below maintenance.

This reduction of the deficit accomplishes two important objectives: 1) it makes the transition to a maintenance level of calories easier since you will only be a few 100 calories off; and 2) it will limit the amount of negative hormonal changes you experience compared to maintaining a larger deficit. Certain hormones, such as leptin and ghrelin, help regulate how much energy your body burns relative to your actual TDEE. Simply speaking, when you eat enough to truly maintain your body weight, you are capable of burning 100% of your TDEE throughout the day in regards to all energy activity. As your body chronically experiences a reduction in calories, it will begin to burn a percentage of that potential. For example, at maintenance, you could burn 300 calories walking for an hour; But the longer you engage in calorie restriction, and the steeper the deficit, the calories burned will be less and less. In summary, reducing the deficit as one loses weight helps prevent your adjusted TDEE from being excessively reduced as well as obesity relapse when transitioning to a maintenance caloric intake.
  • Blondief90
    Blondief90 Posts: 1 Member
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! This is exactly the information I was looking for... Thank you.
  • I have just signed up and don't really know where to begin also. I recently found out I have a thyroid problem. Doctor has placed me on medication and has told me it will speed up my metabolism. It was down to nothing due to the thyroid problem. But I know that is not my only problem. I eat too many sweets and quick foods. I also have a very bad knee from years of athletics. The knee is getting worse with the weight I gained. Right now it hurts to even walk long distances. I am hoping losing weight will help with that. I already know I have a Mountain Dew/soda problem. I am going to try to cut down slowly as I know cold turkey is not going to work. Any advice anyone has would be welcome.
  • Thank you everybody for all of your fantastic advice & support. I feel a lot more confident in beginning now! I will go back and set my profile so I can do TDEE. For those who are also starting out I wish you the best of luck. I'm not in a position to give any advice yet, but hopefully I will be soon! Xx
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Since you're new here...

I post these tips all over the place. They may help.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.

He is awesome. Listen to him please!
  • Since you're new here...

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.

He is awesome. Listen to him please!

I definitely will! I have read this about 6 times already! Xx
  • Love your post and the inspiration - I have a LONG WAY TO GO - many health issues that limit my mobility but I am trying to do the best I can every day and hope to see some difference - I need to lose at least 100 lbs and I will still be "obese" at that point - but I have to start somewhere -
  • Good luck Eeyeore! Are you finding MFP helpful? I'm really glad I joined! I haven't started much yet- just making healthy choices and researching. Want to have a clear plan for moving forward! Going to work out TDEE and log everything I eat over this next week to establish calories/patterns etc. I have bought a diary (I love to write and I think this will really help me) and I've also made a folder to put stats and pics in! Feeling very organised & motivated! Xx
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Since you're new here...

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

Yep got it right, you have to remember that to lose the weight & keep it off is a life time thing, not just a fix for a few mths til the weight is gone & then you go back to what you were doing before. It has to be a forever thing, if you make it hard to do, you won't keep it up. I've been at this 7mths & within a few weeks this went from being something "to do" to just being an automatic thing, when it gets to that point you know you got it. The its SO much easier & less chance of you "falling off the wagon" as so many people do. Good luck!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Hi everyone, I'm Vicky. I am 31 & a stay at home mum at the moment to two girls (3yrs & 1yr). I have had a lot of surgery before, during and after my pregnancies for endometriosis & I have used my pregnancies & surgeries as excuses to not start or stick with any diet & exercise plan. As a result I look and feel terrible! So I've made the decision to do something about it! I want to be a mum my girls can be proud of and look up to & also to be a positive, healthy role model to them.....but, I have no idea where to start! I've never counted calories etc and I'm a bit lost with it all! Can anybody help??!

I'm 5ft 2, weigh 175 (goal 120). I want to lose slowly (2lb a week would be great). I am going to be doing Tracy Anderson post preg DVD 5x a week, at least a 3 mile walk everyday (intervals of fast pace & really slow - no where near being able to jog yet!!)

Does anybody have any advice on how many cals I should be eating or any other wisdom? I want to do this sensibly! Anything would be great! Feeling lost! Xx

2lb isn't slow, it's fast. :D That's eating 1000 calories less per day than you need to maintain, what everyone around here calls your 'tdee' (total daily energy expenditure or something..?)

as a young active mum I would ask the machine to plot me a 1lb weight loss. Ease into it gently. It takes time to work out what meals you can have to stay under calorie budget. If you are finding it okay after a few weeks, maybe go for 2lb if you really feel you have to. But it took me quite some time to learn how to eat low calorie. I think I started on 1800 cals a day the first time I was on here, and I felt incredibly deprived on that. I'm a bit more seasoned this time around so feel like I can hook straight into it.

also - perv at other people's diaries for meal ideas. ;D You can get a lot out of looking at diaries. Some of the people on here eat incredibly well.
  • Thank you, yes I've realised that's fast after spending most of last night reading through posts! I'd now be really happy with 1lb a week. I think the biggest loser, weight watchers mindset where people are led to believe 5+ a week is normal has a lot to answer for!
    I've started looking at some diaries and once I have worked out my TDEE I will look at some people who have similar to me to get some inspiration! Thanks for posting! Xx
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Start by keeping a food journal for 7 days & going for a 15 min walk every day.
  • lins69
    lins69 Posts: 17 Member
    I have decided to just add a wee note as I'm leaving for work and don't have enough time to read it lol. Good advice Ive just started as well so lookin g for alot of help
  • Hi, I already walk for about an hour each day & my weight has been steady for some time now. I'm going to do a food journal for the next 7 days and see what I'm consuming etc (not going to do it in retrospect because undoubtedly it wouldn't be a true reflection as I will have forgotten things and haven't weighed anything!) I am trying to figure out all the things I'm doing wrong now so as I have a clear plan is I make sure I'm doing things properly! And also so I can plan around things like my usual daily routine etc xx
This discussion has been closed.