Need help retraining my brain!

Options
Retraining our brains? Can anyone help me? I have it fried in my brain that you need to create a huge calorie deficit to see weight loss. I eat very clean and hover around 1400 calories/day. But I am doing very well exercising and most days I burn approximately 500 calories. It goes against everything I know to eat back those calories. But, I am not losing the weight!!!! Should I really be eating back those exercise calories? Sometimes I feel very full at night, but I still have 500+ calories left for the day. Any suggestions?
Thank you to anyone who has words of wisdom......:smile:

Replies

• xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    yes, eat them.
  • whetzel3141
    Options
    But what should I do if I feel full?
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    This is not really a healthy suggestion, but I admit, when I hit that point, I have a glass of wine or a beer to bring me closer to my goal. I'm loosing weight so....
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    This is not really a healthy suggestion, but I admit, when I hit that point, I have a glass of wine or a beer to bring me closer to my goal. I'm loosing weight so....

Then again, they do say a glass of red wine is good for you (it's full of antioxidants).

You may not need to eat all your exercise cals back but if you can, try eating 1/3 of them. if you're averaging 500 exercise cals then eat back about 150 - 170 cals. A glass of wine with dinner or a serving of sorbet with fruit for dessert (if you aren't already eating desert) would do. Are you having a mid-morning and/or mid afternoon snack? If not, try adding one in.
  • whetzel3141
    Options
    That is a great idea. I think maybe if I add a "drink" into my diet that it would help to fill up some of those calories. I am honestly a former "starver" when I was younger and now I am 100 lbs overweight. This is going to be a journey to retrain my brain and I am so used to depriving myself. I do enjoy wine or beer every now and again and it will help with my insomnia! :) Thank you both!
  • johnnya2
    Options
    Something is not right if you are 100# overweight eating 1400 calories per day. I suggest eat until you are full, but make sure it is healthy stuff
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I find I have to eat to lose. And because I eat every couple of hours I'm never actually "hungry". But I eat almost all my recommended calories and have been losing nicely. The only time I didn't lose was when I wasn't eating all my calories.

I hope you find a solution that works for you and good luck on your journey.
  • sweet4keeps22
    sweet4keeps22 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If you're really consistent in your current consumption, and your current consumption keeps you full, start making some higher calorie substitutions. For example, put 1% or 2% milk in your cereal rather than skim. Go with regular cheese rather than 2% if you use that. Throw an egg or avocado on top of your salad (or sandwich, for that matter). Use eggs, rather than egg beaters. All those substitutions you started to make when you wanted to cut calories, start un-making some of them, in healthy ways to add healthy calories back in your diet. Between milk, cheese, eggs, avocados, throw an almond in here and there and you should be all set (with room for a glass of wine once in a while).
  • whetzel3141
    Options
    Thank you. Those are some great suggestions. I also thought about having some milk with dinner. I appreciate the help!